Anyone know about writer Hal Douglas
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2006
    Montana
    1 times

Anyone know about writer Hal Douglas

Hal Douglas wrote a few articles Treasure Magazine in the 80s dealing with the 17 tons of Gold story. I contacted Treasure Magazine and no one there seems to know who he is. Anyone else know?

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    392 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Anyone know about writer Hal Douglas

Gee, I thought Hal Douglas was a voice-over actor.

Are you asking about the "17 Tons of Gold in New Mexico"?

Beth
    "Irony is the rule"

us
    Dec 2006
    Montana
    1 times

yes. Hal (not the actor wrote a couple interesting articles and I'd like to learn more about where he got his information if possible.

Jul 2007
    ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
    Eyes, ears and common sense
    8 times

Hal Douglas, this article is in Treasure magazine, personally I think just another story teller.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hd.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	523126  
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you just might find, you get what you need- Mick Jagger

um
    Dec 2008
    2797 times

Pearless67:

It might be helpful to some if you added the month, year, volume and # of the issue that carried that story.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

Jul 2007
    ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo
    Pearless67:

It might be helpful to some if you added the month, year, volume and # of the issue that carried that story.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
    Sorry Old Buckaroo, I dont forget on purpose.

The article above appeared in
    Treasure, Vol 20. NO 10 October 1989 issue.

The previous article refered to in this edition appeared in the June 1983 issue.

And an earlier Hal Douglas article appeared in an even earlier edition. entitled British Treasures.

British Treasures
    Febuary 1980 lost treasure
    Hal Douglas

Lost Treasure
    Volume 2, NO 12 November 1977
    Lost Muskets Caches by Hal Douglas

PeErless67

You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you just might find, you get what you need- Mick Jagger

um
    Dec 2008
    2797 times

Peerless67:

Thank you very much!

I certainly realize there is information folks here don't want to share. However, I think it's helpful for all if we provide complete citations to books, newspaper and magazine articles, etc.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

Jul 2007
    ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
    8 times

Bookaroo, I do agree however all those stories in the magazines are just rehashed versions of Shurmachers fairytale.

um
    Dec 2008
    2797 times

Peerless67:

I wouldn't say "all." Are you referring to Emile C. Schurmacher's Lost Treasures and How to Find Them! (New York: 1968)?

Most of the "treasure magazine" yarns are a good deal older than that.

The late Bill Hanks, a first-rate treasure hunter and book collector (and a gentleman of the old school) once told me that in his opinion that book had one of the first accounts of the Four Corners "Gold Act" Cache (the "17 Tons of Gold" story). That is a very interesting comment on several levels...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Jul 2007
    ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo
    Peerless67:

I wouldn't say "all." Are you referring to Emile C. Schurmacher's Lost Treasures and How to Find Them! (New York: 1968)?

Most of the "treasure magazine" yarns are a good deal older than that.

The late Bill Hanks, a first-rate treasure hunter and book collector (and a gentleman of the old school) once told me that in his opinion that book had one of the first accounts of the Four Corners "Gold Act" Cache (the "17 Tons of Gold" story). That is a very interesting comment on several levels...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
    Hi Bookaroo, I was refering specifically to the 17 tons stories in the magazine. They are simply a rehash of what Shurmacher wrote. And yes I was talking about Shurmachers story in lost treasures and how to find them.
    Your friend Bill Hanks was correct to tell you that Shurmachers account was the first, however that does not make it true. Shurmacher did no more than piece together a few bits of info that were already in the public domain and then added a massive amount of poetic licence to give the story some credence.
    Its just my opinion but it is no more than a fairy tale based loosely on a true story.

um
    Dec 2008
    2797 times

Peerless67:

You got my point - that's one of the levels of interest.

I think there is something there - or, perhaps a bit more correctly, at one time there was something there. For a variety of reasons I would very much doubt that it is still there.

Certainly one problem is that the few nuggets of truth have been contaminated by an overburden of fiction (such as Nazis hiding the plunder).

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1347 times

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless67
    ....Its just my opinion but it is no more than a fairy tale based loosely on a true story.
    As are nearly all the treasure tales found in the public domain - those which aren't total fabrications, that is.
    ​Adios, amigos - it's been interesting.

Jul 2007
    ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
    8 times

Hi Springfield, I could not possibly comment on other treasure stories as I do not have enough knowledge of any other than the one I have spent many years researching.
    I meant the "17 tons" , "$20 million gold hoard" stories only. I have gathered enough evidence to be convinced it was real. I unearthed a few things that I came across by pure chance/luck that led me to some documents that convinced me that I have found the final place the gold was stored. What I do not know at this stage is whether or not any of it remains at the site. Permissions, logistics and circumstance prevent me from doing what I would like. But as I have said elsewhere I am convinced enough to have stopped looking for a location. Most of my time these days is spent investigating possible sources for the gold, whilst slow preparations are being made for further investigation of the site.
    I have the best part of a book completed, but I would not even consider publishing without having found a difinative answer to the question that bugs me every day. Is any of it still there ?

us
    Dec 2006
    Montana
    1 times

I take it that no one knows anything about Hal then. too bad......

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    392 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I would suggest talking to the editor of Lost Treasure magazine, since he also wrote an article for them in 1980 - they might have some other info on him.

Lost Treasure Magazine always asks for a little bio on its writers.

Beth

http://www.losttreasure.com/node/421
    "Irony is the rule"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links