Anyone know of any treasure Legends in England???

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Google King John's Treasure, reas all you can find on it, then if you would like, we can talk about it. I believe it is there and can be found.

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
King John's treasure lost in the Wash.
The popular legend was that King John lost his treasure while travelling round the Wash on his way from King's Lynn to Newark in 1216. This was right at the end of his life, when the King - who had lost all the Angevin possessions and had been campaigning against the East Anglian barons - arrived in the prosperous port of King's Lynn. He stayed in the town, was wined and dined and, some chroniclers say, began to feel unwell. His wagon train, with solders and servants numbering into thousands, took the short cut round the Wash - this was across the estuary of the Wash which extended further south than it does today. King John went via Wisbech and stayed at Wisbech castle. The intention was that he should meet up with the wagon train on the other side of the Wash.
We don't know why but disaster struck the wagon train, the tide came in and everything was lost. The legend, unproven, is that the King was with the wagon train and lost his treasure jewels. Nothing has ever been found and it would seem unlikely that he would have been parted from his treasure. If he went the longer way round then his treasure would surely have gone with him. However, his end was near. He became ill and died a few days later at Newark. No regalia were ever found after his death, which may explain the origin of the rumour that the treasure was lost in the Wash.

CORNWALL :History notes that the treasure of pirate Capt Avery is buried in the high cliff near Beagles Point, South of Black Head, Cornwall, near the Lizard. Several attempts have been made to locate it without success.

MONASTERIES : In 1536 there were 800 Monasteries in England and Wales. four years later there were none. All had been appropriated by Henry V111. One of these sites was near Lyme Bay, Devon. Henry did not get all the treasures and it is possible that ships were used to transport the treasures to a place of safety. Who knows what some of the wrecks between 1536 and 1540 may contain.

Have a search on these, and keep us posted,
Happy hunting !
Digman.

SolomonKey

Jul 1, 2006
UK
Detector(s) used
GSM-19 Overhauser
Digman said:
King John's treasure lost in the Wash.
The legend, unproven, is that the King was with the wagon train and lost his treasure jewels.
I guess that this is the treasure that Dingham Lad is interested in. Am I right?

The legend is unproven? If so, then there would be no reliable record, right?

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KING JOHN
October 1215 a caravan of King John of England attempted to cross the sands of The Wash. The caravan carried a large amount of the King's treasure and was trapped by an incoming tide and a descending current from the River Nene. All was lost. The journey in question lies between Kings Lynn and Long Sutton. Since that time the area has changed, the Wash has been pushed back and rushes grow in areas where sands were covered by high tide. Man made drainage canals have also gained ground. The treasure is probably now lying 30ft deep. King John had taken a longer route through Wisbech and over higher ground and was able to witness the loss. He then rode to the Abbey at Swineshead. Quicksand is in the area.
for further info please check : http://www.shipwreckregistry.com/index10.htm
Digman.

SolomonKey

Jul 1, 2006
UK
Detector(s) used
GSM-19 Overhauser
Dingham Lad said:
Hey, i live in England and am looking to do some research into a treasure legend in England. If you know of any treasure legends could you please post them it would be a great help regards oli
Here's a lost treasure:
Brinkburn Priory
brinkburn.htm

In the 'Middle Ages ' - I forget when exactly - a Scottish raiding party tried to attack the priory to seize its valuables. The monks threw them all in a pond nearby, then, when they heard the Scots were lost and starting to return home, the monks rather stupidly rang the priory's bells in celebration. The Scots followed the sound of the bells, found the priory and killed all the monks. The story goes that nobody was able to retreive the treasure and that it's lain there ever since.

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SolomonKey,
Very good post !!

Brinkburn Priory lies on a small haugh in a bend of the River Coquet, some four miles east of Rothbury.

Founded in the reign of Henry I by William Bertram, Baron of Mitford as a house for Augustine canons, the exact date is not known but thought to be somewhere between 1130 and 1135 as Henry died in this latter year. The architects responsible for Longframlington Church a few miles away are likely to have been the builders.

The Priory acquired scattered lands in Northumberland and Durham over the years but the house was never very wealthy. Little is known of the history of the house other than that gleaned from the records now housed in the British Museum. It survived some troubled times and as late as 1419 was raided and robbed. In 1535 the value was recorded as £69 and the house was finally dissolved in 1536 along with all those other minor house with an income of less than £200.

Services continued to be held at Brinkburn and the church was retained in a fair state of repair till the end of the 16th century. In 1602 it was reported to be in a state of decay, a situation which worsened over the years and eventually the roof collapsed.

In the middle of the 18th century Dr Sharpe, Archdeacon of Northumberland tried to effect repairs and although there was considerable support for the project work could not continue due to a dispute between the owner, William Fenwick, and the Vicar of Felton.

In the 19th century the owner of Brinkburn tried to revive the restoration of the church and work began in 1858. The roof was completed along with a number of masonry repairs in 1859 and the stained glass windows inserted between 1861 and 1864; but the church was not furnished till 1868.

A number of interesting finds were made during the reconstruction. The tombstone of Prior William, suffragan Bishop of Durham who died in 1484 was found among the debris and the original altar stone with five crosses is still preserved along with an ancient font. In 1834 another discovery was made about 50 yards from the church when a bronze pot containing almost 300 Rose Nobles of Edward III, Richard II, and Henry IV were discovered.

Tradition tells of a party of marauding Scots who were unable to find the Priory, although close by. The band failed in their bid to plunder and started off for home when they were startled to hear the sound of bells, which the monks rang in joy at their departure. The Scots returned and following the sound of the bells, forced their way through a dense wood to the Priory. Pillage was the order of the day and the Priory burned.

However this story should be taken with a pinch of salt: a similar tale is told of Blanchland.

Nearby, a deep part of the river bears the name of "Bell Pool". The ubiquitous Scots during one of their raids flung the Priory bells into the river at this spot. And tradition also tells us that whoever recovers the bells will be well rewarded by other treasures.

Other tales tell of the burial place of the Northumbrian fairies within the Priory lands whilst Gawen's Field on the estate takes its name from Gaweb Redhead, a border reiver, whose abode was a hollow oak tree, so large that a half dozen calves were wintered in it.

Digman.

SolomonKey

Jul 1, 2006
UK
Detector(s) used
GSM-19 Overhauser
Thanks!

Well, it may be myth, but it part of my family's history. My ancestors paid for the priory to be built, from winnings at war in France. The treasure was gold and silver plate given to the priory by my family. Any finds it, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good, you should be proud of it,
Very good.
I also found a picture of it, and looks very beautiful.
Digman.

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Dingham, here are a few links that should keep you busy for quite a while...

Treasure Legends of England
http://www2.prestel.co.uk/aspen/sussex/treasure.html

Knight's Templar Legends, many are from England, with oodles of links!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar_legends

Sacred Texts Sagas and Legends English Folklore
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/prwe/prwe141.htm

Lulworth Cove, Kimmeridge Bay, Osmington Mills, Isle of Portland, Bucklers Hard, and more
http://www.dorset-newforest.com/smugglers.html

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Badger, nice stuff !!!
When I was young, 25 years ago, I was a student in Southampton. While I was there, I witnessed a treasure find by the river Ichen close to the New Forest!! I wasn't metal detecting by that time, but I remember that the young guy found a wooden box, similar to the ones we se on pirate movies, with curved top. The box was full of rather large size coins, of the 'Middle Ages'.
I wish I was still liing in England, to search the New Forest, the woods, around castles!!
Anyway, thanks a lot for the information.
Digman.

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dingham Lad,
Any progress so far ?
Dingman.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread