Cocos Island Treasure

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Interested Party in UK.

Sure although I have probably not much to tell. I had a strange passenger on my ship two years ago. A priest perhaps??? and invariable the topic come up regarding treasure. He candidly eluded to that the treasure on Cocos island was removed many years ago. Richard Ray actually found the cave of where it was hidden long after it was removed many years previously.

Mal

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello SSM,

Thank you.

It's a very interesting story you've related with the priest (in the Tayopa thread), there is a mischievous Trio operating in that general area who may have had a finger in that pie, so to speak.

Most argue that there was never any treasure on Cocos Island, but there is evidence to suggest that

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fair amount has been removed over the years. Some Americans found a cache and bought silver mines in California in the early 1900s. The latest 'find' being some Frenchies who found treasure in the 1960s. One of the top chaps who posted on TreasureNet actually went to meet one of the lucky finders. So it wasn't all simply a fantastic story with no basis.

Being Chilean with British ancestry puts you in a advantageous position in that you can converse in Spanish as well as English and have knowledge of both cultures. The fact that you are a captain of your own ship can come in very handy as well...

Good to see such diversity posting on this website.

IPUK

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you brought me up quickly with your description of the terrain of the island, as my grandfather also made an excursion to the island out of san francisco, probably late 1890's. he wrote of it, including descriptions of a "secret cipher", landing at chatham bay, fighting their way through the jungle, and back to their ship through heavily shark infested waters. he seemed quite knowlegeable of both the intimate details of the island as well as the pirate responsible for that hidden treasure. he wrote his manuscript in the late 1920's/early 30's after HE finally retired from sailing and gold hunting in alaska and the sierras of california. retrieving this manuscript from his old steamer trunk, as well as two others he wrote of his 30+ years sea-faring, i published it this year aptly named, "Cocos Island Treasure". he wrote under a pen name, Stanley McShane, but was earlier known as Captain Patrick John Wesley Rose. i'm finding it fascinating now that so many of his details are actually verified by others who came after.

Hello Rosepoint

Did he have a brother called Milton Rose?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fair amount has been removed over the years. Some Americans found a cache and bought silver mines in California in the early 1900s. The latest 'find' being some Frenchies who found treasure in the 1960s. One of the top chaps who posted on TreasureNet actually went to meet one of the lucky finders. So it wasn't all simply a fantastic story with no basis.

Being Chilean with British ancestry puts you in a advantageous position in that you can converse in Spanish as well as English and have knowledge of both cultures. The fact that you are a captain of your own ship can come in very handy as well...

Good to see such diversity posting on this website.

IPUK

Thanks for thumbs up. Sadly I am no expert on the matter. But I have unfounded suspicions. Who ever they were they did not pass on anything of substance. The boxes appeared to be strangely numbered for just holding volcanic rocks? Hell maybe you work for them who knows? They certainly a slick group of individuals.

Hats off to who ever they were.

Mal

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I did work for them...:laughing7:

They really are premier league on all things shiny and expensive...

You could have been an 'actor' in the play without even realising!

If they carried out a major operation/project and did not cause a hullaballoo, then, congratulations - you 'met' the famed Trio who are probably without peer when it comes to this opaque field which gets us all dreaming, hoping, wanting, waiting...

As you were later compensated for your endeavours, all's well that ends well as they say...:thumbsup:

IPUK

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I did work for them...:laughing7:

They really are premier league on all things shiny and expensive...

You could have been an 'actor' in the play without even realising!

If they carried out a major operation/project and did not cause a hullaballoo, then, congratulations - you 'met' the famed Trio who are probably without peer when it comes to this opaque field which gets us all dreaming, hoping, wanting, waiting...

As you were later compensated for your endeavours, all's well that ends well as they say...:thumbsup:

IPUK

Hello interest Party in the UK. Indeed you may be correct I was for brief moment as If I had fallen into a movie. And I was the puppet on the string in a play out of my depth encountering a league of extrodinary gentlemen and yet do not even know their real names. While I will not elaborate exactly how much they compensated. But it was enough to buy myself a newer ship. So what ever the project was it much of been an obscene amount of money involved.

Curiosity of course is burning me up wondering trying to figure out what did they find? They was sure discreet about it.

Mal

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello interest Party in the UK. Indeed you may be correct I was for brief moment as If I had fallen into a movie. And I was the puppet on the string in a play out of my depth encountering a league of extrodinary gentlemen and yet do not even know their real names. While I will not elaborate exactly how much they compensated. But it was enough to buy myself a newer ship. So what ever the project was it much of been an obscene amount of money involved.

Curiosity of course is burning me up wondering trying to figure out what did they find? They was sure discreet about it.

Mal

The Trio are all old-hands at the game and, in my opinion, will only have done what they needed and be very, very careful with "releasing" any information and details. It must have been major as I would not think they would need to deal with 'little' caches as they are already in a good place financially. The projects they plan are fully-researched, evidenced as far as possible and all outcomes and eventualities catered for.

Wish I was there...:occasion14:

IPUK

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Trio are all old-hands at the game and, in my opinion, will only have done what they needed and be very, very careful with "releasing" any information and details. It must have been major as I would not think they would need to deal with 'little' caches as they are already in a good place financially. The projects they plan are fully-researched, evidenced as far as possible and all outcomes and eventualities catered for.

Wish I was there...:occasion14:

IPUK

Definitely right there they play with all their trumps kept close to their chest and only played them when they had to. Makes we wonder how many are these people out doing things under the radar.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my apologies for slipping away from the Topic I do find Cocos island fascination although I have no idea what is fact and what was fiction in the story? I gather there is a few parties here that have an interest in the Cocos story treasure legend too?

Mal

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely right there they play with all their trumps kept close to their chest and only played them when they had to. Makes we wonder how many are these people out doing things under the radar.

Mal

SSM,

I once asked EL Crow the same question regarding how many folks he felt were doing the "business" under the radar so to speak. He replied there are about two dozen or so peeps across the globe who can talk themselves into/out of any situation/environment/group/professional organisation and mix-it with ruffians, politicians, authorities, lawyers, professors and just about anyone else that gets in their way. There are many highly secretive and organised outfits that are spending time and resources hunting down treasure, some are even on the stock exchange! Others maintain privacy, secrecy and confidentiality at all times.

There is plenty of fantasy out there with regards to treasure - and the fables are being added to all the time - sometimes intentionally, and it is difficult for a 'normal' chap or chapette to separate the fantastical from the fact...., but occasionally it does happen...:thumbsup:

Crow, Kanacki and Hardluck (a mischievous nom de guerre if ever there was one!), are major league players and have a presence across the globe. They have been kind enough to share plenty here on TreasureNet with us "wannabees".

You do realise that your part of the world has more than a few stories regarding treasure, don't you..?:laughing7:

IPUK

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
What if?

What if you all have the WRONG Cocos Islands?

You do realize there's a Cocos (Keeling) Islands in the Indian ocean as well - right?

What if the real treasure is on the Indian ocean Cocos Islands?

A miss is as good as a mile, as they say.

https://www.environment.gov.au/topi...al-park/history/cocos-keeling-islands-history

Discovered in 1609 - By Capt William Keeling - has had long enough to have it's own treasure tales to tell.

Its all MINE I tell you... Muah ha hahh! :laughing7:

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me Lucky Eddie, if you get the wrong island, it is one thing...But...to get the wrong Ocean..?

:dontknow:

IPUK

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd afternoon mal. puk, Not that I am in the league with the unholy trio, particularily financially, but for my project I 'needed' the publiciy for protection since my project was staionary This was the main reason that I entered Treasurenet.:laughing7:

Unholy trio $ 1,000.000.000.000 vs Real de Tayops $.10 Yankee money. :tongue3::occasion14::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

But it has beem a fun ride.

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Salvore my friend, coffee? And just how many have looked for Tayopa over the centuries, yet I am the only one that has knowingly found It ? :tongue3::coffee2::coffee2: ?

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd afternoon mal. puk, Not that I am in the league with the unholy trio, particularily financially, but for my project I 'needed' the publiciy for protection since my project was staionary This was the main reason that I entered Treasurenet.:laughing7:

Unholy trio $ 1,000.000.000.000 vs Real de Tayops $.10 Yankee money. :tongue3::occasion14::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

But it has beem a fun ride.

Hola amigo Don Jose so Mexico must some what be like Chile if any treasure was recovered from the site? Would The state would claim cultural patrimony over the treasure trove?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose that would be the same attitude for Costa Rica if any treasure was found at Cocos island? I suppose its a moot point anyway as far as I understand treasure hunting has been banned on Cocos island since it became a world heritage site?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if?

What if you all have the WRONG Cocos Islands?

You do realize there's a Cocos (Keeling) Islands in the Indian ocean as well - right?

What if the real treasure is on the Indian ocean Cocos Islands?

A miss is as good as a mile, as they say.

https://www.environment.gov.au/topi...al-park/history/cocos-keeling-islands-history

Discovered in 1609 - By Capt William Keeling - has had long enough to have it's own treasure tales to tell.

Its all MINE I tell you... Muah ha hahh! :laughing7:

Lucky Eddie do they still have a detention center there on keeling islands?

You know there is at least 5 islands in the pacific was once called Cocos Island. That a hell of lot of coconuts.:tongue3:

Mal

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose that would be the same attitude for Costa Rica if any treasure was found at Cocos island? I suppose its a moot point anyway as far as I understand treasure hunting has been banned on Cocos island since it became a world heritage site?

Mal

SSM,

You would find it very difficult to dig or mooch around for anything on Cocos Island these days since it was declared a heritage site. There is also much bio-diversity that exists there so it is better for Costa Rica to attract a different type of 'tourist' now. They have troops/rangers stationed on the island so nothing can be done surreptitiously; not that I'd advocate such a thing!:laughing7:

I believe the last "successful" 'hunt' was the one by the Frenchies, and if I'm not mistaken, one of them bought a private island in the Pacific...

Rather than a in/famous treasure around those parts (there is too much fact, fiction and fantasy intertwined for the average searcher to try and disseminate unless they've got serious backing and resources), there is a few little-known stories of private stashes and one-off privateering/buccaneering caches to wet the appetite...

IPUK

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SSM,

You would find it very difficult to dig or mooch around for anything on Cocos Island these days since it was declared a heritage site. There is also much bio-diversity that exists there so it is better for Costa Rica to attract a different type of 'tourist' now. They have troops/rangers stationed on the island so nothing can be done surreptitiously; not that I'd advocate such a thing!:laughing7:

I believe the last "successful" 'hunt' was the one by the Frenchies, and if I'm not mistaken, one of them bought a private island in the Pacific...

Rather than a in/famous treasure around those parts (there is too much fact, fiction and fantasy intertwined for the average searcher to try and disseminate unless they've got serious backing and resources), there is a few little-known stories of private stashes and one-off privateering/buccaneering caches to wet the appetite...

IPUK

Hello Interested Party in UK

Most likely you are correct there. Perhaps it the less known stories that have more substances to them?

Tradition has it that some pirates buried a fabulous treasure in the bay of La Herradura (modern name )

Some claim it was by the Brotherhood of the Black Flag? But it should be noted It has long been claimed the markers had been moved by late 2oth treasure hunters who changed places of the markers on stones. Yet the 1930's plan below may of been before the stones was moved? And some suspect the original location was Papudo, once hidden in a small bay the original name may of been have been at a place called Quebrada del Frances?

Maybe this alleged map of these strange markers may have meaning to you guys?

Maybe the map below is enough to wet the appetite?

1600116.jpg

For this captain it seems little like an impossible puzzle with no understanding of the rules of the puzzle. But maybe some one here can come up for fun with some clever insights?

Mal

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread