Cocos Island Treasure

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
Lucky Eddie do they still have a detention center there on keeling islands?

You know there is at least 5 islands in the pacific was once called Cocos Island. That a hell of lot of coconuts.:tongue3:

Mal

There was a animal quarantine station on Cocos Keeling Isl, which has long since closed. The illegal refugee detention center is on Christmas Island and yes it is still there.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Lucky Eddie:

It's the right island! There was the group out of California that recovered enough plunder to purchase the famous California quicksilver mine. They were in the right place. You betcha!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky Eddie:

It's the right island! There was the group out of California that recovered enough plunder to purchase the famous California quicksilver mine. They were in the right place. You betcha!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I gather that information came via the memories of mammy pleasant book?

Mal

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
SSM: You gather correctly. Are you aware of another source?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SSM: You gather correctly. Are you aware of another source?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

unfortunately no. I took the liberty of trying to contact the author Helen Holdredge but with no luck.

It appears In 1953, Helen Holdredge, who had inherited Teresa Bell’s diaries, wrote a book that devoted 37 pages to Mary Ellen’s achievements up to 1875 and 250 pages to the scandalous newspaper accounts of the 1880’s. She did not index the book nor did she do citations in the text. There is a list of sources in the back, though some of these sources are unavailable to other researchers. I suspect there might be other documents out there?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SSM,

Looks like you've got the "bug", mate....:thumbsup:

IPUK

IPUK

Perhaps but perhaps only a fleeting affliction? no doubt an armchair one. Duties force me elsewhere while looking more into treasure stories is fascinating reading mostly the people behind them. I cannot imagine the leap one have to make to make a career out of it. But perhaps I am cursed with a captain logic As I like my career I need to work with facts not assumptions. After all one has a hard time explaining to maritime authorities why you have run a ship aground based on assumption how deep a channel is?

Plus I think the other half would not be impressed if I gave up my day job.:laughing7: An even harder one explaining that assumption to that one....:laughing7:

Merry xmas everyone

Mal

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True points there, SSM.

But the leap into the 'game' is not so great as most are/have been into it for some time and simply feel ready and secure enough to take it up full-time. Even with treasure, it is extremely important to work with facts only and separate the woolly stuff as soon as possible. Trial and error for this amateur.

There might well be other such exhilarating experiences, but I imagine few and far, where one gets the tingles and adrenaline pumping if you know there is goodies about to be found/uncovered. How many will ever feel such exhilaration in their working lives?

Of course, those with personal and financial responsibilities will have a pretty difficult time explaining to their loved ones that they have such careers and projects in mind. And it should never be done at the expense of everything and everyone else. The old pirate Crow once said to me, if one has been in regular employment, has family commitments and has never dealt with the dregs of society, then just don't do it and get involved. You'll be lied to, cheated, threatened, fleeced and almost always any endeavour will end in heartbreak, frustration and hopelessness. You'll probably end-up losing family, friends, finances and even your sanity in some cases. If anyone ever knows/knew the score, it was Crow.

But.

If you can steel yourself, deal with major disappointments, can setup other financial income streams, handle dodgy characters, think whilst under pressure and tension, organise things, always try and be one step ahead and, of course, deal with any 'fallout', well, you might just do something yet....:laughing7:

Merry Christmas

IPUK

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While research is extremely important, published accounts of the stories guiding the search..........some, not telling how many, have been recovered with few knowing and nothing said.........from some I am aware of, this results from a desire to protect recoveries from theft, others to avoid governmental "complications".
Guess this will remain one of the humbling unknowns that complicate any recovery effort.
Merry Christmas all.

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True points there, SSM.

But the leap into the 'game' is not so great as most are/have been into it for some time and simply feel ready and secure enough to take it up full-time. Even with treasure, it is extremely important to work with facts only and separate the woolly stuff as soon as possible. Trial and error for this amateur.

There might well be other such exhilarating experiences, but I imagine few and far, where one gets the tingles and adrenaline pumping if you know there is goodies about to be found/uncovered. How many will ever feel such exhilaration in their working lives?

Of course, those with personal and financial responsibilities will have a pretty difficult time explaining to their loved ones that they have such careers and projects in mind. And it should never be done at the expense of everything and everyone else. The old pirate Crow once said to me, if one has been in regular employment, has family commitments and has never dealt with the dregs of society, then just don't do it and get involved. You'll be lied to, cheated, threatened, fleeced and almost always any endeavour will end in heartbreak, frustration and hopelessness. You'll probably end-up losing family, friends, finances and even your sanity in some cases. If anyone ever knows/knew the score, it was Crow.

But.

If you can steel yourself, deal with major disappointments, can setup other financial income streams, handle dodgy characters, think whilst under pressure and tension, organise things, always try and be one step ahead and, of course, deal with any 'fallout', well, you might just do something yet....:laughing7:

Merry Christmas

IPUK

Perhaps That is why I am not a treasure hunter. Interested in reading about them of course.... But the armchair seems so comfortable. Besides as all sea captains will say in one form or another. You are either married to your ship or your ship is the other women in your marriage. She certainly the most expensive one.:laughing7: At sea it your own mini empire with in the confines of your ship. It took a long time to become a skipper and even longer to become a ship owner. I hope on of my sons will one day take over the family business.

Merry christmas

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While research is extremely important, published accounts of the stories guiding the search..........some, not telling how many, have been recovered with few knowing and nothing said.........from some I am aware of, this results from a desire to protect recoveries from theft, others to avoid governmental "complications".
Guess this will remain one of the humbling unknowns that complicate any recovery effort.
Merry Christmas all.

Hola doc you might be more closer than you think.

Cheers

Merry christmas

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know the original location of these alleged charts on Cocos island?

map1.jpg

map2.jpg

I would love to find a larger clear picture of the originals.

Mal

grantler

Jan 11, 2004
near munich
Detector(s) used
Goldpic,XP ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mal ,
I found them in a book from Peter Disch-Lauxmann Stevensons ""Schatzinsel"" Page 46 and 47
don´t know if there is an english edition ? I can send you his Florida Adress :-)

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mal ,
I found them in a book from Peter Disch-Lauxmann Stevensons ""Schatzinsel"" Page 46 and 47
don´t know if there is an english edition ? I can send you his Florida Adress :-)

Hello grantler

Thanks for the tip. It appears these maps and charts was used in some of the last expeditions at Cocos island.

DSCN0150.jpg

They appear to be copies made from Captain Fred Hackett ( Hackett papers ) Auroa expedition 1897? which was via the Mary Brenan 2ND wife of John Keating who died in 1882. The information was written down for his wife detailing the known treasures allegedly buried on the island.

Mal

grantler

Jan 11, 2004
near munich
Detector(s) used
Goldpic,XP ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mal,
If you speak french then there are better pictures of the same maps in the book :
La Derniere Ile Au Tresor , by Robert Vergnes (1978 )
If you like I can make copy´s :-)

Ddiamond Digger

Oct 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seem to remember I read some time ago, quite a few years, on a site called oceantreasures...if memory serves.. that a guy calling himself Bluebeard actually found some treasure on Cocos.
Speaking under correction of course.... might be just BS or not?
Still was an interesting read.
DD

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Seem to remember I read some time ago, quite a few years, on a site called oceantreasures...if memory serves.. that a guy calling himself Bluebeard actually found some treasure on Cocos.
Speaking under correction of course.... might be just BS or not?
Still was an interesting read.
DD

Gidday amigo

I would not hold my breath with such claims. Like with all treasure legends there are characters making all sorts of claims for 15 minutes of fame.....

But the reality is far different amigo admitting to anything is last thing ya would do....

spanish-colonial-18th-century-20k.jpg

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread