Cocos Island Treasure

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday amigo

I would not hold my breath with such claims. Like with all treasure legends there are characters making all sorts of claims for 15 minutes of fame.....

But the reality is far different amigo admitting to anything is last thing ya would do....

View attachment 1898563

Crow

Hola Amigo

How much did that piece sell for again?

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola Amigo

How much did that piece sell for again?

Kanacki

That piece went for just over 20 thousand dollars. The gold was worth 1100 dollars 20 carat. The diamonds was old cut diamonds table and square cut. Not much clarity all up the diamonds was in total about 3 carats. Blue foil in settings give them a bluish tinge to enhance the stones. Date of piece 1780.

spanish-colonial-18th-century-20k_1_81ba27d2bfd56522188f5e50ccdd9efb.jpg

Probably could of been able to get 25 grand in better times. But it is what it is. It just comes down to what people want to pay.

spanish-colonial-18th-century-20k_ p2.jpg

Auctions are unpredictable depending on buyers tastes and what they want to buy and pay.

Crow

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece went for just over 20 thousand dollars. The gold was worth 1100 dollars 20 carat. The diamonds was old cut diamonds table and square cut. Not much clarity all up the diamonds was in total about 3 carats. Blue foil in settings give them a bluish tinge to enhance the stones. Date of piece 1780.

View attachment 1898862

Probably could of been able to get 25 grand in better times. But it is what it is. I just comes down to what people want to pay.

View attachment 1898860

Auctions are unpredictable depending on buyers tastes and what they want to buy and pay.

Crow

Hola amigo

Its like that beat up 18th century silver Madonna crown. Went for 4495 dollars

COLONIAL SPANISH MADONNA CROWN 4 495 DOLLARS.JPG

COLONIAL SPANISH MADONNA CROWN 3.JPG

COLONIAL SPANISH MADONNA CROWN 2.JPG

I suppose the buyer likes to roam around with crown on their head. :laughing7:

It is hard to predict what will sell well.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola amigo

Its like that beat up 18th century silver Madonna crown. Went for 4495 dollars

View attachment 1898870

View attachment 1898872

View attachment 1898875

I suppose the buyer likes to roam around with crown on their head. :laughing7:

It is hard to predict what will sell well.

Kanacki

Gidday Kanacki

That I recalled the weight of that silver crown was 4.6 ounces worth about $161.10 take away silver base value price. that leaves $4333.90 Extrinsic Value.

Take for example the 18th century Spanish colonial bowl below sold for $5699 dollars

18TH CENTURY COLONIAL PERU SILVER BOWL 5699 DOLLAR.JPG

18TH CENTURY SPANISH BOWL 2.JPG

It seems some items command higher Extrinsic Value prices regardless of weight.

Crow

Attachments

• 18TH CENTURY SPANISH BOWL.JPG
    18TH CENTURY SPANISH BOWL.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday amigos The best advice for anyone wanting to know about the real Cocos story is to grab all the books written in 20th century and tip them in the bin.

There are archives in south America and records even in United states, Spain Mexico, Peru and few other Latin America countries with real archive documents. And not the crap regurgitated by author after author of treasure hunting books.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Crow amigo

We were all fed only English language versions of the story. Most was from via failed treasure hunters writing a book of their experiences thus adding their speculations that later was reproduced by the next treasure hunter as fact. Thus each generation added their conclusions to the legend and in time the real story was lost.

Kanacki

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Coco Island is a well tilled field, and abundantly fertilized
but the factual basis will fuel stories for generations, dreamer stuff

Kanacki, NICE bowl

edit: Crow, sorry

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Coco Island is a well tilled field, and abundantly fertilized
but the factual basis will fuel stories for generations, dreamer stuff

Kanacki, NICE bowl

edit: Crow, sorry

Gidday amigo

Perhaps its better to let the legend stay a legend and those daring to dream dream?

06916-600x507.jpg

9dd0291b061804ef34ef1f46b09d4d0e.jpg

29605-01.jpg

04618-599x401.jpg

29605-04.jpg

When is a treasure not a treasure? When it does not officially exist......

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigos

My favorite piece is the 18th century silver cross below.

Spanish_Silver_Cross_4_-900x366.jpg

Here is front of the cross below.

Spanish_Silver_Cross_3_-611x900.jpg

Here is the back of the cross

Spanish_Silver_Cross_2_-632x900.jpg

But it appears the 18th century silver cross held secret inside amigos. Part of cross had a screw key. Unscrewing that opened up secret compartments.

Spanish_Silver_Cross_1_-900x847.jpg

Its amazing what little treasures can be found in such little apartments.

old cut dimonds.jpg

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday amigo

My favorite piece of colonial Spanish is the piece below.

Colombian emeralds from Muzo. Gold from Panama and silver from Bolivia. A 18th century pendant with a gold churb indicating love romance but personified with a native American with headgear holding an arrow riding a silver eagle clutching a bird? A blending of cultures that is personification Colonial South America.

Spanish_Colonial_Jewel_4_-600x546.jpg

You can see pendant in reverse You can see how it was constructed.

Spanish_Colonial_Jewel_3_-590x900.jpg

And how intricate the piece is.

Spanish_Colonial_Jewel_5_-900x448.jpg

So our perceptions of Spanish colonial South America was some sort of a backward frontier like colony gets challenged. In fact as you can see these beautiful complex jewelry was made in the Americas not in Europe. Which shows society there in some respect more sophisticated than first thought. And most of all the wealth colonial Spanish families who administered these colonies.

No wonder so many treasure legends evolved after the fall of Colonial Spanish America. Especially when these Spanish born peninsular families loyal to the Spanish Crown became abandoned in South America and had little chances in fleeing during the war of South American independence.

But amigos you could hypothesize that native craftsman placed a native with a spear killing or vanquishing the eagle as personification of their Spanish masters.... ?

Even in the 1780's thoughts of insurrection was never far away from the peoples of south America.

More Ironic that the Spanish Grandee who wore this jewelry around her neck never saw the irony of the piece?

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
spectacular piece
but the previous bowl was nice also

Gidday Bill as far as I am concerned 18th Colonial Spanish silver smithing was just as good any European producers at the time. And largely under rated and undervalued.....

But hey I may be a wee bit biased there.:laughing7:

Crow

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
artisans come in all shapes and colors

an aside, I was impressed at how crude was the cast figure recently found from the English crown

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
artisans come in all shapes and colors

an aside, I was impressed at how crude was the cast figure recently found from the English crown

Well amigo you have to take into account Henry the 8th probably got his gold by the dissolution of the monasteries and looted all the catholic churches in England. The style is rather crude but remember at the time he did not have the access to the skilled artisans of Catholic Europe at the time so he had to contend with a local one at the time. Looks like the figure was cast in the lost wax method.

What blew me away how much they say its worth? The value goes up astronomically when its connected to a famous English king.

Crow

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
apparently it was enameled? could account for the surface, still seems a step back from the Saxons

agree lost wax, still crude - lost wax reproduces all detail

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right the quality is very poor for a king of that time period. If you look at the quality in France of enameling same time period. And the fact the guy who found is pushing way too hard to prove its part of this lost crown through the media without letting the experts come to that conclusion themselves.

Crow

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Bingo
be fun to watch

edit: good price for his gold, I have cast items in brass and bronze - not difficult
and even enameled copper, again not difficult

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread