Info on Treasure Maps - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    um
    Dec 2008
    2792 times

Re: Info on Treasure Maps

I don't think bringing up the Beale Papers is going to disprove Lucky13's statement.

It has been proven, to my satisfaction, the Beale Papers are a fake. There is no way to explain either the demonstrated anachronisms in Paper #1, or the fact that the remaining two are not long enough.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

Jun 2007
    13758 times

L13 hasn't proven to ME, his point; as for YOU, what PROOF can YOU share, the code(s) in the BEALE PAPERS or "story" are/is FAKE? WHAT "demonstrated anarchronisms"? BEALE CODE # 1 is the "location cipher" (NOT solved); B C # 2 is "SOLVED" via the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; B C # 3 is a listing of ppl involved in "this enterprise" (NOT solved).

us
    Oct 2010
    Southwest Virginia
    Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
    7 times

what type of proof are you looking for from me? All im saying is that realistically/historically you have better chances of finding treasure by focusing on the information,dates and places within a story than what you have by authenticating a treasure map. I would focus on the story of the beale treasure and how it was buried,where it was buried,Four miles from buford VA in Bedford co.The iron pots it was buried in etc,As i stated above.I wouldnt focus on breaking a cipher that most likely is incomplete if not a complete fake all the way around.That was the whole point of this post.

But hey,You cant please everyone.
    Lifes is a Garden,Dig It!!!  ~~Joe Dirt~~

Jun 2007
    13758 times

NOT trying to "break the cipher(s)"; I agree with you about looking at HISTORICAL info, family info, etc. from Bedford County/Lynchburg, VIRGINIA. EASY for ME to do, since I LIVE in Lynchburg, VIRGINIA (was in BEDFORD COUNTY, VA...) so, I KNOW the areas of "interest".

us
    Oct 2010
    37 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Well, I don't know about all treasure maps, but I have a copy of a Outlaw Treasure Map and after years of working it out, I was able
    to pinpoint exact local( 1 1/4 mile square area), figure out the exact scale on map, find the hidden barely seen signs on this map, figure out
    the meaning of all marks on this map, and finally overlay it on Google Earth. Several caches in this area were found by accident and those lined up with map as well.

So, sometimes maps show the way if you can work it all out. "X" don't mark where to dig, but the map does indicate where to return to
    recover the "goods" if you were the map maker.

us
    Oct 2010
    Southwest Virginia
    Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by goverton
    Well, I don't know about all treasure maps, but I have a copy of a Outlaw Treasure Map and after years of working it out, I was able
    to pinpoint exact local( 1 1/4 mile square area), figure out the exact scale on map, find the hidden barely seen signs on this map, figure out
    the meaning of all marks on this map, and finally overlay it on Google Earth. Several caches in this area were found by accident and those lined up with map as well.

So, sometimes maps show the way if you can work it all out. "X" don't mark where to dig, but the map does indicate where to return to
    recover the "goods" if you were the map maker.
    Exactly!
    Lifes is a Garden,Dig It!!!  ~~Joe Dirt~~

Jun 2007
    13758 times

Who IS the "map-maker" for the BEALE PAPERS?

um
    Dec 2008
    2792 times

Rebel - KGC:

I believe it was Richard Walburn (I may not have spelt that gentleman's name correctly) who wrote an excellent booklet on the Beale Treasure - and blew it out of the water.

From Wickpedia - an easy source to locate: "The letters also contain several English words, such as 'stampede' and 'improvise', not otherwise recorded before the 1840s; implying composition after their purported date."

There remains the size issue of the "unsolved" papers. And the lack of historical documentation for the characters and events described in the booklet.

Personally, I think this was a money-making hoax by the author. It honestly makes no difference to me if people want to spend their time on it. Unless folks are digging on someone else's property, it appears to be a harmless passtime. And will leave the more lucrative fields open to others.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: Very interesting! http://www.angelfire.com/pro/bealeci...oozlement1.pdf

If you haven't read Herbert O. Yardley's book The Education of a Poker Player, I recommend it!
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

Kentucky Kache

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo
    From Wickpedia - an easy source to locate: "The letters also contain several English words, such as 'stampede' and 'improvise', not otherwise recorded before the 1840s; implying composition after their purported date."
    You don't really believe those words were used in the 1840's do you? I mean, if they hadn't been used before then, it's not possible they could have been used then, right? Sounds silly, doesn't it? That's what you're saying about them being used in the Beale papers. Just because we've found the first "book" they were used in, that doesn't mean that's the first time they were used in common language. Truth is, we don't know exactly when those words were first coined. Too many years have past for us to be sure. That doesn't mean the Beale treasure is true, it only means we shouldn't swallow everything we read, whether it's for, or against.

Jun 2007
    13758 times

PPL, PPL! REMEMBER, the "Job Print" (aka BEALE PAPERS) was printed/published in 1885! By THEN, "questionable words" WERE used! LOL!

Kentucky Kache

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC
    PPL, PPL! REMEMBER, the "Job Print" (aka BEALE PAPERS) was printed/published in 1885! By THEN, "questionable words" WERE used! LOL!
    Only thing missing is proof that the Beale papers are a later creation, as you say. Of course, you COULD BE right.

Jun 2007
    13758 times

KK, the BEALE PAPERS was printed/published in 1885! YOU must be thinking of the BEALE CIPHER(S)...

Kentucky Kache

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC
    KK, the BEALE PAPERS was printed/published in 1885! YOU must be thinking of the BEALE CIPHER(S)...
    You know what I mean.

Jun 2007
    13758 times

NOPE! NOT a "mind-reader"; YOU clarify, please... TY! P.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beale_ciphers "Click" on images to ENLARGE... OB, NEVER heard of that guy... WHAT book? SHARE, please... TY!

um
    Dec 2008
    2792 times

Rebel KGC:

Some years ago Richard Walburn sent me a copy of the booklet (spiral bound) pamphlet he'd written on the Beale Codes. Sorry I can not locate it at the moment. I'm not trying to be mysterious here - it's in storage. Actually I know just where it is - I just don't know which of the hundreds of boxes it's in.

Anyway, the theory is simple. There are words in the Beale letters that were not being used at the time they were supposed to have been written. From memory, there are at least half a dozen. The Wikipedia article mentions two. How many does one need? Language changes over time, and many of these changes can be pinned down as to time.

Additionally, as pointed out in the readily available articles, Paper #3 doesn't begin to be long enough to contain the information it is purported to offer.

Add that to the lack of historical information on the main characters in the story, the very unlikely story of decoding Paper #2, the fact the "author" needed money - the whole thing just doesn't add up.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links