Info on Treasure Maps

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
I see alot of posts about the beale codes,KGC carvings,etc here on Tnet.I am not by any means saying that stuff isnt real but here is a little bit of advice about treasure maps. There has never been a documented case where a treasure map has been authenticated,EVER. Not Once in history. When researching legends,Dont rely on maps or codes,Rely more on the information within the story,such as townships,landmarks,etc...Most chances are that maps are a cipher within a cipher and the only actual way to follow the map or decipher the code would be if you were the man who wrote it. If you found the treasure of legend and documented where it was found, You may actually be able to autheticate a treasure map because you would have a way of deciphering the map to lead to the found treasure,But this far in history there isnt one documented case of an authentic treasure map.Just a friendly heads up.

K

Kentucky Kache

I agree 100%. Follow the story, and only then if you're able to find good reason to.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Lucky 13:

I can't agree with you on this one. Have you read the classic January 1965 issue of National Geographic?

Kip Wagner found the treasure right where the map showed the shipwrecks.

I'm tempted to throw in Burt Webber, Barry Clifford and Mel Fisher - but Kip's example will do, as we only need one.

Or don't shipwreck charts count?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Lucky 13:

When it comes to Civil War gold caches, Swift, Jesse James, et. al. - I'm in complete agreement with you!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

K

Kentucky Kache

Old Bookaroo said:
Lucky 13:

When it comes to Civil War gold caches, Swift, Jesse James, et. al. - I'm in complete agreement with you!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

I assume that's what he meant.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Yes, what i meant was that there isnt a validated case in history where a map has been written for the sole purpose of leading to treasure, that has ever been validated, But then again, Confederate treasure would be property of the United States Government because the confederacy is/was an enemy of the united states. SO.....that being said,Would you want to be the guy who authenticated the first treasure map or the guy with 100 pounds of confederate gold? :icon_scratch: :wink: LoL. Shipping charts were used basically as an atlas for traveling the ocean unless the voyage ended in tragedy,But werent written with the sole purpose of finding treasure,They were written for transporting it via trade routes,etc.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D Lucky13, YOU see the Beale Codes, as a "treasure map"? How so? :dontknow: SO! We "focus" on Lynchburg, Virginia &/or Montvale, Virginia "area" via BEALE PAPERS? Hmmm... INTERESTING! AND! " Information within a story"? :read2: How does THAT work? :coffee2: :wink:

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Rebel - KGC said:
:D Lucky13, YOU see the Beale Codes, as a "treasure map"? How so? :dontknow: SO! We "focus" on Lynchburg, Virginia &/or Montvale, Virginia "area" via BEALE PAPERS? Hmmm... INTERESTING! AND! " Information within a story"? :read2: How does THAT work? :coffee2: :wink:
Take the swift stories for instance, there are several versions, Some contain rockbridges,others refer to a rock house,Others refer to a flat rock protruding over a creek,others refer to a sheer cliff with a hole in the top called the lighthouse,etc,etc. Landmarks,The information within the story to pinpoint possible locations.

K

Kentucky Kache

Rebel - KGC said:

Information within a story can sometimes be proved, or disproved.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Rebel - KGC said:

Do i really have to explain this? Just like the star over bethleham that led the three wisemen to jesus,The prophecie that foretold the birth of the messiah and the way to find him? Ring a bell? No? Information within the story. If you still dont understand,Scroll up,LOL

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D For sure, "landmarks" ARE given in the stories about the Swift Mines; how so with the BEALE PAPERS? Lynchburg, VIRGINIA? Montvale, VIRGINIA "area". WHAT "landmarks" are we looking for? GOOSE CREEK? LOL! :wink: :read2:

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Rebel - KGC said:
:D For sure, "landmarks" ARE given in the stories about the Swift Mines; how so with the BEALE PAPERS? Lynchburg, VIRGINIA? Montvale, VIRGINIA "area". WHAT "landmarks" are we looking for? GOOSE CREEK? LOL! :wink: :read2:

I have deposited in the county of Bedford, about four miles from Buford's(which i assume to mean buford VA due to it bordering bedford not a person named buford but thats just my way of thinking), in an excavation or vault, six feet below the surface of the ground, the following articles, belonging jointly to the parties whose names are given in number three, herewith:
The first deposit consisted of ten hundred and fourteen pounds of gold, and thirty-eight hundred and twelve pounds of silver, deposited Nov. eighteen nineteen. The second was made Dec. eighteen twenty-one, and consisted of nineteen hundred and seven pounds of gold, and twelve hundred and eighty-eight of silver; also jewels, obtained in St. Louis in exchange for silver to save transportation, and valued at thirteen thousand dollars.
The above is securely packed in iron pots, with iron covers. The vault is roughly lined with stone, and the vessels rest on solid stone, and are covered with others. Paper number one describes the exact locality of the vault, so that no difficulty will be had in finding it.

We will just suppose you believe this and would be referring to this information in your treasure hunt,The main locations to look in and what to look for...

Ok first youd want to use GPS or whatever means you have to pinpoint areas N,E,S,W that would be four miles from the inn.The second thing i would do is use GPR and land survey records for iron content in the soil,The GPR would give you an idea of which locations had the bedrock at only six feet beneath the surface.The second thing is that if this treasure is contained in iron pots this particular area would defiantly have a high iron content compared to the surrounding terrain. Thats just one method of thousands that could be used just by using the information within the story. The best lead in this is that the vault is six feet down on solid rock. It would take a year or so to map the ground with GPR unless the DMME has already done it in the past. But if in fact this story is true you would have a damn good starting point and the edge over other treasure hunters on your search sites once you pinpointed your possible locations. Thats just one armchair method i suppose from the comfort of my living room based on the information within the story. But as any treasure hunter knows,Methods change for a thousand different reasons when you are in the field.

But this also makes me wonder how many ppl have been swinging a T2 and getting a weak signal on iron because the pots are six feet down,thus giving it way to being trash and deciding not to dig??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Rebel - KGC said:
Why would you not consider it a map when its believed that one of the three ciphers according to the beale story leads directly to the treasure,though the ciphers were never picked up by the man they were left for.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D HA! I thought YOU meant a LITERAL paper map; Beale Code # 1 allegedly gave "direction" to the Bedford County, VIRGINIA "treasure"; HOWEVER! :dontknow: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D MORE! ALL Beale Ciphers were disclosed... in the BEALE PAPERS; it was the KEY (to break the BC # 1 & BC # 3) that was "missing"; BC # 2 was ALREADY broken with the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE being used as the "decoder". "Google" BEALE CIPHERS - WIKI for ciphers & "click" on images to "enlarge"; 1 & 3 are NUMBERS Ciphers! GOOD LUCK...and keep us "posted"! :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D 8)

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I don't think bringing up the Beale Papers is going to disprove Lucky13's statement.

It has been proven, to my satisfaction, the Beale Papers are a fake. There is no way to explain either the demonstrated anachronisms in Paper #1, or the fact that the remaining two are not long enough.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D L13 hasn't proven to ME, his point; as for YOU, what PROOF can YOU share, the code(s) in the BEALE PAPERS or "story" are/is FAKE? WHAT "demonstrated anarchronisms"? BEALE CODE # 1 is the "location cipher" (NOT solved); B C # 2 is "SOLVED" via the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; B C # 3 is a listing of ppl involved in "this enterprise" (NOT solved). :D :wink: :coffee2: :read2:

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
what type of proof are you looking for from me? All im saying is that realistically/historically you have better chances of finding treasure by focusing on the information,dates and places within a story than what you have by authenticating a treasure map. I would focus on the story of the beale treasure and how it was buried,where it was buried,Four miles from buford VA in Bedford co.The iron pots it was buried in etc,As i stated above.I wouldnt focus on breaking a cipher that most likely is incomplete if not a complete fake all the way around.That was the whole point of this post.

But hey,You cant please everyone.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D NOT trying to "break the cipher(s)"; I agree with you about looking at HISTORICAL info, family info, etc. from Bedford County/Lynchburg, VIRGINIA. EASY for ME to do, since I LIVE in Lynchburg, VIRGINIA (was in BEDFORD COUNTY, VA...) so, I KNOW the areas of "interest". :wink: :coffee2: :read2:

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know about all treasure maps, but I have a copy of a Outlaw Treasure Map and after years of working it out, I was able
to pinpoint exact local( 1 1/4 mile square area), figure out the exact scale on map, find the hidden barely seen signs on this map, figure out
the meaning of all marks on this map, and finally overlay it on Google Earth. Several caches in this area were found by accident and those lined up with map as well.

So, sometimes maps show the way if you can work it all out. "X" don't mark where to dig, but the map does indicate where to return to
recover the "goods" if you were the map maker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread