New Info on Dillingers Little Bohemia cache...

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
New Info on Dillinger's Little Bohemia cache...

Greetings,
Re: Dillinger's Little Bohemia buried suitcase / cache.

I was looking at the posts under "Dillinger's Bullets" and just finished an article on Dillinger's Little Bohemia cache, that will appear in the annual edition of Treasure Cache / Treasure Facts magazine, 2007 issue. I found a small two-page supplemental DOI report from May 2 - 3rd, 1935 from the FBI Dillinger file. Supplemental reports are often overlooked in investigative files as they usually amount to an investigators notes / intel re: a subject who is of interest to investigators. The writer is not always directly involved with the case / investigation, as was true in this case. The special agent who wrote the supplemental report was documenting a telephone contact from an informant,
which placed Dillinger, Van Meter with a 3rd unknown male subject in Fort Wayne, Indiana on the night of May 2nd and departing on the afternoon of May 3rd. This is 10 days after the firefight at Little Bohemia, where legend claims
Dillinger buried the the suitcase full of cash. According to the informant Dillinger had in his possession a "suitcase full of money" that was opened and dumped in a nap sack and taken them the following day. Said informant also said he heard Dillinger and the other two men talk briefly about the gunfight at LB. He states Dillinger did cache ammunition behind the lodge when the gang first arrived at the lodge on the 20th. Once out the rear second story window Dillinger and the gang fled unopposed into the woods, where at some distance the men realized they were nearly out of ammo. The informant states Dillinger and at least one other went back in the direction of the lodge to retrieve the ammo cache which they did unnoticed. How they managed to accomplish this without alerting DOI agents is also explained in my story, and supported by the FBI records. The informant's information is considered highly credible as he had info. that was only known to Dillinger and his gang and those in law enforcement who were present when the gunfight broke out. He also gave the agent a figure that he overheard Dillinger mention which was the amount of money Dillinger had since he broke out of Crown Point. That figure was
$210,000. The figure is another boost for the informants credibility factor. Dillinger had $200,000 in small bills that he carried in a suitcase. Legend says it buried north 500 yards in the woods behind the LB lodge. Fact is Dillinger was in possession of that suitcase 10 days after the LB gunfight. The figure of $10,000 represents Dillinger's cut from the last bank job the gang did before the incident at LB. Based on the info. in this supplemental report I do not believe Dillinger ever buried the suitcase in the woods that night, but well needed the cash to make their get-a-way. The "cache legend" may or may not have stemmed from the ammunition that he hide behind the lodge two days before the shootout.

Happy Hunting
The Hangman

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: New Info on Dillinger's Little Bohemia cache...

I have never believed this story. I have been to Little Bohemia about twenty times,walked the lakeshore,etc. Under attack, shooting for their lives and this was in April. Anyone in Northwoods Wisconsin knows that no one can dig this frozen turf in April and especially one under the circumstances as Dillinger escaped. There were several theories that he threw it in the lake and they sent divers in...found several old guns ...no suitcases....and considering the fact that most of the lakes still are ice covered in April...also blows that theory.

http://www.littlebohemia.net/john.htm

OP
OP
The-Hangman

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California

Hi Gypsy Heart!!!

Direct hit girl. It was clear, cold with freezing temps that night and there was 2-3 inches of snow on the ground.
Considering they had to know leaving tracks in the snow would bring officers to them in a minute, would you have wanted to stop long enough to bury even a small suitcase with your bare hands in the frozen ground? I've only had one other person catch that - you a cop? :o

Yeah for a long time I've had problems with the legend version of events, but it is the one that has brought folks into those woods for the past 72 years, and I'm sure give the lodge some good coin. Since you've been into the woods there is one nagging question I have. What would you guesstimate the distance to be from the rear of the lodge going north to the water line, if walking direct from one to the other? I have not been to the site but there was some discrepancies in the FBI reports vs. estimates given by witnesses. It may not be anything but knowing that such a discrepency exists has always puzzled me. Thanks again,

The-Hangman 8)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

This is Little Bohemia on Little Star Lake ....can you see how close the distance is .Dillingers room was upstairs facing front of the lodge. I would guess less than 100 yards

Attachments

• little star lake.jpg
    little star lake.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 3,470

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

WELL there goes the source of my house down payment.

What a downer!!

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
The-Hangman

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California

Gypsy Heart,
A picture is worth a 1000 words, and that pic tells it all. The lodge is much closer to the water than I'd perceived it to be. Again it doesn't really change anything, just my perception of the relationship between the two points, which I had envisioned as being much greater. I want to thank you for putting that image up, what it does tell me right away is just how lucky Dillinger was that night. Had the agents been successful in surrounding the lodge first before shooting the first three innocent civilians they saw thus alerting Dillinger & gang inside to their presence, then Dillinger would've never made it to the water alive that night. Would you allow me to use your picture for future articles on LB & Dillinger? If thats OK with you than email me because I'd need your name to give you photo credit. My email is... [email protected].

Thanks again,
The-Hangman 8)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

the photo I posted is from the collection of Dr. Horace Naismith Jr.
They are posted on the internet.
Here are some older photos from 1934....there were tons of postcards made for Little Bohemia and they still produce them.
I think tho,that the postcards were made from photos of a Dr. Eye Collection

Attachments

• 1934 escape to lake.jpg
    1934 escape to lake.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 2,216
  • lodge 1934.jpg
    lodge 1934.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 4,014
  • bohemia sign.jpg
    bohemia sign.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 9,124
  • bohemia  2004.jpg
    bohemia 2004.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,955
OP
OP
The-Hangman

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California

Gypsy Heart,
I have the older Dr. Eye images and thank you for posting them. By the way Dr. Eye if I recall correctly was charged in the Dillinger case and became a living historian of Dillinger. His name appears in FBI reports a number of times.

C-ya,
The-Hangman 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread