Honey Island La. Pearl River

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
I have read several treasure tales about this area. Can anyone tell me just where it is? I've looked at www.terraserver.microsoft.com and I know of the area, west of waveland ms, but its tough to figure out just what is what. ALSO What/where would they mean when stated " The East Fork Of Pearl River". Honey Island is to be to that west. Also there was some post about the swamp monster tracks found on Honey island somewhere or maybe another site.

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
;D ;D ;D

Years ago, Honey Island was the name given to the entire area between the East and West branches of the Pearl River as it nears the Gulf of Mexico. If you look at a topo map now, only one small patch of grassy swamp actually bears the name "Honey Island". The eastern branch of the Pearl River is the La-Ms border in the South. Moving north, the Mighty Mississippi becomes the border.

Yes, there are dozens of treasure legends about the Honey Island area. I'm not sure however, about the monster itself ;D.

Walter

OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
Two treasure 'Finds" have been found. One by a fisherman, another by a hunter. The fisherman sawa chain wraped to a tree, followed the chain by digging and found a chest of gold coins attached to it. The hunter found a chest of coins washed up after a storm. I think the Monster story was made up, to keep people away from the Island. You know Kartina hit that very spot, I wonder if some may could be more easley found now. I'm thinking of making a fishing trip to that area soon..

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the treasure stories, but the Honey Island Swamp Monster was definitely a fraud. All the footprints were the same, and they were all made by some wooden fake feet glued onto some shoes. They were found and photographed in the early eighties.

Honey Island Swamp is:

If you are heading East from New Orleans, take I10 East. When I10 goes through Slidell, it makes a right turn. Just after that turn, you are driving over Honey Island Swamp.

If you are driving West from Mississippi, take I10 and just before you get to Slidell, La, look over the rail of the overpass. That is Honey Island Swamp.

best,

Mike

Chris_Odom

Dec 18, 2009
New Orleans
I realize this post is old but if anyone is in the area of Honey Island swamp I will be glad to assist you in your hunt. I am located in New Orleans and i know the area pretty well.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Lived in Slidell, La. for 30+ years. Just a stones throw away from the Honey Island Swamp. I know the family who created the Swamp Monster.. (they did it for the money). Although I have seen a strange creature in the Dixie Ranch area i can't explain. It was BIG (6ft+), it walked UPRIGHT and it was covered with HAIR. Scared me so bad i never went into the woods behind the airport ever again.. with or without a gun. No. It wasn't a three foot tall sun bear walking upright and it wasn't some guy in a hairy suit. It didn't even move like a human being moves. So i'm guessing there might be "something" out there in the woods beside pranksters. If you're thinking about hunting this thing.. i suggest you arm yourself with a BAZOOKA.

As for Treasure ? I always heard several German U-Boat crewmen were picked up in the city of New Orleans shortly after a submarine was attacked by a PBY Catalina in the Gulf of Mexico near the end of WWII. As the story goes, these German seamen claim to have scuttled a U-Boat somewhere in the mouth of a river (Possibly the Pearl) and walked the L&N Railroad tracks into New Orleans where they were captured. Like some actual U-Boat missions in the last days of the war, the cargo of this boat is said to have been TOP SECRET. Some claim it was Nazi Gold. Seems to me certain aspects of this story should be easily proven or disproven. But i don't know anyone who ever persued the subject.

Oilfield Diver

Aug 25, 2011
Republic of Texas
As far as the "thing" the cajuns call it "Loup Garou".
As far as the U-Boat, local legend has it further west than the Pearl. Worked with a diver at one time who knew about a conning tower sticking out of the muddy sea floor - German - (and being an ex- Force Recon he probably would know the difference. Most of our team was ex specwar). Could never get details or convince him to go on a hunt, but his supposed find was east of the Pearl. Keep in mind he was an experienced diver and warrior, so his general locale could also have been dis-info. Divers are full of stories but as far as the conning tower part the guy was telling the truth. This was decades ago..

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :D Could the "treasure" be Jean Lafitte's "stuff"? Could the swamp monster be a "spirit guardian" (Sentinel) of it? :dontknow: Jean was from New Orleans... was it Voo Doo? OR... is it Hoo Doo? :o :wink:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the whole UBoat Story. A Uboat was running low on supplies and ran up into the Miss. River. It sent a small dinghy up the river where they broke into a small store, then hijacked a Wonder Bread truck, and took everything back to the boat. I think they got back down into the Gulf before we caught up with them. Not sure whether they were sunk or not.

The Honey Island Swamp Monster Story was around WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before the family made those fake feet and stomped around in the mud.

The "Loup Garou" is a werewolf. The Honey Island Swamp Monster is more like a "Skunk Ape" or "Bigfoot"

Mike

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boggy creek swamp monster yea that was a great movie. The skunk ape is real seen video on discovery channel. They never produce fake stuff. Of course you might find a beale treasure before you find the skunk ape. Thought the sub was sunk a couple of miles south east of the mouth of mississippi river.

Oilfield Diver

Aug 25, 2011
Republic of Texas
As far as the nazi sub legend, it has been found south of the mouth of the Mississippi in about 5000 ft. of water in Mississippi Canyon. It was discovered in 1986 by Shell when they were exploring oil and gas prospects. It was confirmed in 2001 by a BP / Shell sponsored survey. U-166 was sunk by depth charges from the anti-sub watercraft PC-566, not by the more common story of the J4F amphibious aircraft. The aircraft is now believed to have depth charged U-171 which was also in the area, but was unsuccessful in their attempt despite an oil sheen appearing on the surface shortly after. (U-171 was sunk on its return trip from the Gulf in the Bay of Biscay). As far as the gold story (rumored to be payment to Mexico for supplies) is still legend. Conspiracy theorists say for some reason BP appears to still have an interest in the wreck of U-166. So it goes for the nazi gold sub - too deep for conventional methods. It exploded amidships and the hull is in two pieces. Rare images of U-166 resting place. R.I.P.
u166-1.jpg
Side-scan sonar
u166-2.jpg
105-mm forward deck gun
u166-4.jpg
Hull and damage

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Google Earth Honey Island shows just outside of Morgan City. Are there (2) Honey Islands?

Never mind I found it, Yes, LA has 2 Honey Islands!!!

Last edited:

Mpgetz1

Nov 29, 2021
I realize this post is old but if anyone is in the area of Honey Island swamp I will be glad to assist you in your hunt. I am located in New Orleans and i know the area pretty well.
Hey Chris, not sure if you're still floating around this page, but I am definitely interested in Honey Island Swamp! Have you been recently?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions