Cocos Island Treasure

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
There are two legends associated with Cocos Island.

The first deals with the revolution in Peru which took place in 1820. At the time, Lima's wealthy citizens and the Catholic Church entrusted their valuables to an English captain named William Thompson. He was to transport the treasure to Mexico for safekeeping aboard his ship, the "Mary Dear". However, the treasure never made it to Mexico. The treasure was reported to include several large gold statues of the virgin mary and was worth about $3 million at the time.

Thompson was later captured for piracy. His crew was hanged while he and his first mate were spared so they could lead Spanish troops to the treasure. They went to Cocos Island where Thompson and the first mate managed to escape into the jungle. The treasure was never found.

The second legend deals with the pirate Benito Bonito. He successfully ransacked various cities and churches up and down the west coast of the Americas. Supposedly he hid his share of the loot on Cocos Island before returning to Australia with his crew. He was captured just outside of Port Philip Bay and hanged for piracy.

Now that said, there have been hundreds of expeditions to Cocos Island in search of treasure since the late 1800's. None have ever recovered any treasure.
Today, treasure hunting is illegal on the island.

conqistador

Jun 17, 2007
bratislava
I have a lot of info about it.I have excelent book about this storymin this book is an old cipher to Benito s silver.I have it in my brain and im not sure i will write it correct.Im writting it because im not interested to this treasure anymore,because this is watched by costarician quard and for me its not possible to get it.It takes lot of months till i understand this cipher,is in 18 century seamans language and today is gifficul understand what does he mean by this.So zhis cipher is: north 8,5 eastward from west hill, northern 5,5 eastward from east hill.End of cipher.I spent some months,and after deciphering i tuuk a map of island end my eyes didnt believed.Position of gills are correct,so its big possibility cipher is correvt too.If you understand you can try it

conqistador

Jun 17, 2007
bratislava
I forget.Nobody know how many of treasuries are on this island.This was favourite place of pirates for maybe 300 years.I know about 3 large treasuries,but there is big possibility plenty of small treasures of unknow crew members.Up to me Limas treasury is probarly not on Cocos isiand.This could be historical mistake.During tortue of pirates, one of them said place where treasure is.But again:In this time there were 2 places same name.And the second is not far from firstSo its possible treasure is there.Im not as rich to get there so i leave it .As a almost old man im few years before retire,im doing activities to spend my last years on island in different side of the world,up to me rich enough(by pirates history and treasuries)poor enough to live there without financial problems

Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Possibly... I am a descendant of Captain James Brown. I'm interested in knowing more about him, but from what I do know, he supposedly moved a treasure from the Cocos Island to another island. I have copies of hand written documents, co-ordinates, and a description of where it is supposedly. They were found when my grandmother passed away. She had copies of the original notes and many newspaper clippings. My mother sent me copies of them all as she thought I may find it interesting... and I certainly do!

Has this treasure been found? Is it generally believed that the treasure was moved? Supposedly he took some of it to Australia and that money funded further searches for it. I'm as interested as you to learn more... I'm not interested in actually looking for it as I don't have the means to do so but would be very curious to learn more.

Thank you...

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say no one has been allowed to search for this treasure for the past 25 years? If you go to Google Earth the only photograph of Cocos Island made 2/27/2005 will reveal two large ships in Chatham Bay do radar scans. The larger ship or yacht is in Chatham Bay it is about 200 ft long and 30 feet wide another ship of lesser size is West of Chatham Bay and looks to be making radar scans it is about 90 feet long and 26 feet wide. No one allowed except the ones that the Costa Rican Government gives permission too. These people going there in November probably have been searching for the past 7 years?

That, my friend is what life's all about.

Ddiamond Digger

Oct 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I read on a website that a treasure hunter called "Black beard" found it.

If I remember correctly its oceantreasures or something like that.
It has been a while since I saw it.

Cheers
Andy

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allo Sam join us for :occasion14: we can have a fine session if we can keep Crow from drinking all of our fermented coconut juice, called Tuba.. We simply cut a hole in a green coconut, slip in a tablespoon of sugar, shake well, plug and set in the Sun. When the plug blows, it is ready. Crow can show you how from long experience.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuba? But of course Sr. Crow, mi compadre, but I would prefer San Miguel export if possible. Then we can go find this elusive treasure which I am still convinved still lies hidden there.

Don Jose de La Mancha.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose.

San Miguel it is then.

I have no doubt small caches are still hidden there on Cocos.

I suspect the main hoards are long gone. But perhaps I should say that depending on which treasure do you belive is still there?

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose

San Miguel it is then. I have no doubt that there are still today small cahes left on the island from the days of piracy.

Which treasure do you belive is still on the island?

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread