Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Yep. I believe the story you are referring to is about Yarber Pond. A band of Seminole Indians were being pursued by Andrew Jackson's militia and ditched the gold coins they had stolen from slaughtered settlers.

Yarber Pond is located in Jackson county near the Chattahoochee river and Neals Landing on the Florida-Georgia border.

OP
OP
T

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you are absolutely correct... It was estimated in 1956 to be worth over $90,000 in gold and silver coins. If I lived in that area I would at least try to find the 2 encampments of the 2 men who tried to salvage it back in the 1930s and '40s. Thanks, Tom

Whomper

Apr 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom. I've read about it before but never read anything much about the people who tried to salvage it. What magazine was that in? Or what more does it say about any successful expeditions? What year did people look for it? I've always wondered. Any info would be interesting to hear thanks!

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Yarber pond and I searched for it with no luck but let me know maybe 2 hunters are better than one. I have alot of research in my office somewhere I just moved it into the spare bedroom and have not yet got it organized yet I will send you some info when I locate it HH freddy

Polson71

Oct 26, 2022
Hello I am interested in knowing more about the gold and silver coins the Seminole indian wariors hid. Now I am interested in finding out who owns the land that it could be on. If the pond is now a reservoir then it was sunk in the river or it is buried. I am curious to see if anyone has found any coins that may have been part of the treasure

Polson71

Oct 26, 2022
I truly wish to go hunting soon just doing research first then when I have time to search I will

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
You do know most people that find treasure never ever talk about it or broadcast it.
Everyone and his brother would lay claim to it, including the US gov.

Noobhunter Joey

Greenie
Nov 22, 2019
Marianna
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread however, I love close to yarber pond and am looking for research materials and plan to do a hunt

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
If the source article was published in 1958, it was probably in one of those "men's" magazines such as True or Argosy or Saga or another similar publication. There were a number of them in the late '50's - no "treasure hunting" magazines as we know them today.

One very common thread in those old articles - the authors just made stuff up, and the editors didn't care about facts. They just wanted a readable story.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Noobhunter Joey

Greenie
Nov 22, 2019
Marianna
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Yarber pond and I searched for it with no luck but let me know maybe 2 hunters are better than one. I have alot of research in my office somewhere I just moved it into the spare bedroom and have not yet got it organized yet I will send you some info when I locate it HH freddy

Noobhunter Joey

Greenie
Nov 22, 2019
Marianna
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Freddy I've doing a lot of research as well of studying old maps, yet can't find carters mill creek or yarber pond near neals landing only Irwin mill creek and no yarber pond, any info would be awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread