Guadalupe Mountains / Apache Gold / Gold Deposits

Zeitgeist_Xero

Jun 5, 2006
Hello, I'm an amateur when it comes to geology and nugget hunting, but I've grown to love the Guadalupe Mountains, and have camped and hiked there many times in the past 12 years. When I started out, I wouldn't have recognized valuable minerals - even when walking over them. Anway, I've been researching on the net, trying to find solid information on possible gold history; be it legends, articles, etc. about the area- and any information will be enlightening. I realize the parks are govt. land, etc. - and I don't want to take anything, or make a profit, but I'd love to find evidence that matched the myth. Recently learning how gold veins and deposits are located, I can say I've seen tons of quartz crystal outcropoppings all over the Guadalupes - where, if you are hiking the trail at night, on a full moon, it looks like you're hiking on a crystal path out of a fairy tale. Likley these are not the proper beds for gold locations, but as I'm learning more, it makes me wonder. I've read a few accounts of gold caches, apache gold (as they used to hang out there in the mountains), Ben Sublette's lost mine, etc. and am just looking for more info due to my curious nature. As some folks say, its not about the money, its about the finding and the search (being govt. land, etc.).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread