Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jul 2012
    Ace 250 At Pro
    19 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Has anyone . or would anyone like too ? Search for the lost gold from Ashtabula train

Has anyone ever actually looked for the gold that was lost in the river of the ashtabula ?
    It would be interesting to find out a little more about this and maybe going and doing some investigating.

Sep 2012
    Hello I have never hurd of it. I am a old prospector/gold miner. I would like to here more. Maby I can help you.
    let me know. herbmadscientist@yahoo.com

Jul 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    177 times
    It was December, 29, 1876. Well documented train wreck, but the gold on board is not well documented.

Here is a copied reference:

"According to some, the train was said to have been carrying as much as $2 million in gold bullion. If it was, it was lost in the valley below and remains there today."

If bullion is there, it is a melted mass. The wreck was an inferno for a day. Thieves plucked money and jewelry from the dead, dying, and wounded.

M

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5931 times

us
    Dowser

Aug 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Garrett AT-Pro, ACE 250, Pro-Pointer
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    You're like a walking research machine

us
    HuntingJunkie

Aug 2012
    New York(fornow)
    Whites MXT
    23 times
    Yes I'd love to

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5931 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppus View Post
    You're like a walking research machine

I never heard of this one, so I had to look.
    I liked the History they added. I wish I could search that area.
    almost cries out there are some great historical relics there yet.
    if they refused to put out the fire & the gold was in the fire, expect it melted.
    and if the metals near it also had a low melting point, expect a conglomerate of dirt, rock, gold &

http://jy3502.hubpages.com/hub/The-A...road-Disaster#

or perhaps this was not an accident, perhaps it was a well planned Train Robbery,
    & Collins caught on.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Sep 09, 2012 at 03:13 AM.

us
    Jul 2012
    Ace 250 At Pro
    19 times
    The idea of a train hiest is hard to deny. I have read in other posts that lots have looked and none have found anything. i still might go give it a swing.

us
    Jul 2012
    Ace 250 At Pro
    19 times
    but there is a story of 3 canadian bank robbers who buried a hoard of treasure on the banks of the grand river under an oak close to lake erie. and that sounds a little more promising . but with land development and everything who knows if the oak still exists.

Jul 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    177 times
    It was later learned that Collins was a murder victim, not suicide as was the popular story for years. Big hush-up by the railroad to put the train wreck to bed. If the $2 million in gold was a reason for all this then you can bet it was either removed before the wreck or dug out shortly afterward. Of if it did melt in the fire it would likely cool when the drippings reached the frozen river. Metal detector guys have been hitting that area for years without a hint of finding anything except a few steel items.

I think further research is needed to backtrack on the gold shipment. Was it there to start the journey, and if it was, what was the origin and reason for shipping? Who owned it? After all $2 million back then was a major fortune. You'd think it would be a big issue for the company that owned it. Maybe it was a bank transfer from NY to a big bank in Chicago, Denver, or San Francisco. I need to sniff around to locate the trains intended route and schedule. There must be court records dealing with the issue of the wreck and responsible people.

I'm wondering how many years that Howe span steel under structure was in place before the wreck. Were double engines commonly taken over that span? If it had been thoroughly use tested with double engines, then I sort of suspect the train may have been intentionally shuttled. We're the unusually large number of thugs and thieves there for a pre-arranged purpose?

Dreaming ... about what $2 million in gold (face value of coins) would be worth today. Or was it bullion like I saw in one account? Would it be 100,000 twenty dollar coins? Even low numismatic graded non-key date $20 coins go for a little over $2000 now. Can't wait to get my calculator out to do that math !! Too many zeros for my old eyes to handle.

M

us
    Jul 2012
    Ace 250 At Pro
    19 times
    hey moonrover where are you located . im in rootstown . right outside of kent.

us
    Jul 2012
    Ace 250 At Pro
    19 times
    its not very far from me . just a hour or so drive so i might check it out just for fun . im hooking up with my buddy and he is going to show me how to use his gti2500 with an eagle eye .
    so maybe if there is anything there we will know soon enough. but like i have read in hundred of stories now . the site was robbed and picked clean. so i doubt it exists . but its worth a look.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors