Has anyone . or would anyone like too ? Search for the lost gold from Ashtabula train

herbert

Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I have never hurd of it. I am a old prospector/gold miner. I would like to here more. Maby I can help you.
let me know. [email protected]

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
It was December, 29, 1876. Well documented train wreck, but the gold on board is not well documented.

Here is a copied reference:

"According to some, the train was said to have been carrying as much as $2 million in gold bullion. If it was, it was lost in the valley below and remains there today."

If bullion is there, it is a melted mass. The wreck was an inferno for a day. Thieves plucked money and jewelry from the dead, dying, and wounded.

M

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're like a walking research machine :)

:tongue3: I never heard of this one, so I had to look.
I liked the History they added. I wish I could search that area.
almost cries out there are some great historical relics there yet.
if they refused to put out the fire & the gold was in the fire, expect it melted.
and if the metals near it also had a low melting point, expect a conglomerate of dirt, rock, gold & :dontknow:

http://jy3502.hubpages.com/hub/The-Ashtabula-Railroad-Disaster#

or perhaps this was not an accident, perhaps it was a well planned Train Robbery,
& [SIZE=+3]Collins [/SIZE]caught on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea of a train hiest is hard to deny. I have read in other posts that lots have looked and none have found anything. i still might go give it a swing.

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but there is a story of 3 canadian bank robbers who buried a hoard of treasure on the banks of the grand river under an oak close to lake erie. and that sounds a little more promising . but with land development and everything who knows if the oak still exists.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
It was later learned that Collins was a murder victim, not suicide as was the popular story for years. Big hush-up by the railroad to put the train wreck to bed. If the $2 million in gold was a reason for all this then you can bet it was either removed before the wreck or dug out shortly afterward. Of if it did melt in the fire it would likely cool when the drippings reached the frozen river. Metal detector guys have been hitting that area for years without a hint of finding anything except a few steel items.

I think further research is needed to backtrack on the gold shipment. Was it there to start the journey, and if it was, what was the origin and reason for shipping? Who owned it? After all $2 million back then was a major fortune. You'd think it would be a big issue for the company that owned it. Maybe it was a bank transfer from NY to a big bank in Chicago, Denver, or San Francisco. I need to sniff around to locate the trains intended route and schedule. There must be court records dealing with the issue of the wreck and responsible people.

I'm wondering how many years that Howe span steel under structure was in place before the wreck. Were double engines commonly taken over that span? If it had been thoroughly use tested with double engines, then I sort of suspect the train may have been intentionally shuttled. We're the unusually large number of thugs and thieves there for a pre-arranged purpose?

Dreaming ... about what $2 million in gold (face value of coins) would be worth today. Or was it bullion like I saw in one account? Would it be 100,000 twenty dollar coins? Even low numismatic graded non-key date $20 coins go for a little over $2000 now. Can't wait to get my calculator out to do that math !! Too many zeros for my old eyes to handle.

M

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey moonrover where are you located . im in rootstown . right outside of kent.

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its not very far from me . just a hour or so drive so i might check it out just for fun . im hooking up with my buddy and he is going to show me how to use his gti2500 with an eagle eye .
so maybe if there is anything there we will know soon enough. but like i have read in hundred of stories now . the site was robbed and picked clean. so i doubt it exists . but its worth a look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread