A Map of the Lost mines and Hidden Treasures of The San Juan

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
A Map of the Lost mines and Hidden Treasures of San Juan and Shiprock

Here is a map that I am sure some of you treasure hunters out there will find very interesting.

spanishtreasuresanjuan.jpg

www.spindlequest.com/newmexicogold2.html

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Daryl,

Years ago we had a place at Vallecito Lake, around 20-miles outside of Durango........That was around 1975. There was a shop
on Main St. in Durango called Prospectors Frontier, and I purchased a soft cover book named "Golden Treasures of the San Juan".
It was an interesting read and quite informative. The first two pages are an extensive "treasure" map of the area.

It's a beautiful area to camp, fish, hunt and prospect.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, I own a copy of that book, and the map in the front is far different than the one posted above. It has similar locations marked, but the map in my book shows the locations hand marked on an old San Juan National Forest Map from 1933. It has a caption at the bottom that reads "Map showing treasures in relation to modern roads - John B. Marshall" and also states elsewhere in hand writing it was prepared by him in 1960. Do you still have the copy you picked up in Durango back in the day? If so, will you look at the map in your copy and see if it matches mine, or if it matches the one posted above? I ask the same of anyone who has a copy of Golden Treasures of the San Juan. Please post what you find here.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh, if you go to that website, then NewMexicoGold2 you can buy the map. Didn't go any farther. Guessing it's worthless...

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a hand copied map based on the map in Temple's book. It is not accurate, as Pagosa Springs is not NE of Durango, but straight East. It was probably done by hand to escape copyright protection of the map in the book...

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that response cactus, I will check my copy as soon as I get to work this morning. I am curious though, is there another map in the front of your copy of the book that matches what I described earlier?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Matt,

Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post here, the first two pages of the book are an extensively marked forestry map.

Take care,

Joe

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My face is REALLY red! I never noticed that map on page 65! Glad to see this isn't an attempt to co-op Temple's material.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Yep, it's the same map as on page 65, but enlarged. Not exactly true to scale but easy enough to figure based on the individual
stories in the book. Joe, you must have got your copy about when I did. Got mine in Creede, best dang treasure book I ever read.
I figure Cornelius was the sheepman and Marshall the one who wrote it up. Uncle Matt, is that right?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was our home at Vallecito Lake, CO for many years:

image0-15.jpg

Joe Ribaudo

I have seen that house many times Cactus! I have been a resident on and off since the late 60's, and I was also a realtor/builder up there.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's the same map as on page 65, but enlarged. Not exactly true to scale but easy enough to figure based on the individual
stories in the book. Joe, you must have got your copy about when I did. Got mine in Creede, best dang treasure book I ever read.
I figure Cornelius was the sheepman and Marshall the one who wrote it up. Uncle Matt, is that right?

Good question! I have been trying to get info on Marshall, but came up totally empty. Anyone got anything on him or his contributions to Temple's work?

I wanted to add, Temple was a sheepherder scholar. He spoke 5 languages, and worked at the newspapers in Durango. His wife Olive did archeological work on Mesa Verde and indigenous cultures as well. So I doubt he needed any assistance to write anything, considering he wrote regularly for the press, unless his health was failing or something like that. I will hopefully be finding out soon enough though...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread