Stories I found

medicffjt

Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone one heard of this story?

"A Yankee raider and soldier of fortune named John Crismo obtained a cache buried by a wealthy plantation owner named James Grierson. Just prior to the Civil War, James Grierson had liquidated his assets and converted it into gold coins. He had buried them on his plantation. John Crismo learned of the cache and tortured one of James Grierson's slaves until he revealed the location of a cache. Crismo dug up the sacks of gold coins with a face value at about $180,000 at the time. HE made his way to a nearby Union camp and reburied the hoard. Crismo was disabled in the war and was unable to retrieve the cache."

Seems bogus to me after looking for the gentlemen mentioned in the story.
Thanks

Last edited:

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is real money back then. I do not believe the story, but good luck to all of you.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone one heard of this story?

"A Yankee raider and soldier of fortune named John Crismo obtained a cache buried by a wealthy plantation owner named James Grierson. Just prior to the Civil War, James Grierson had liquidated his assets and converted it into gold coins. He had buried them on his plantation. John Crismo learned of the cache and tortured one of James Grierson's slaves until he revealed the location of a cache. Crismo dug up the sacks of gold coins with a face value at about $180,000 at the time. HE made his way to a nearby Union camp and reburied the hoard. Crismo was disabled in the war and was unable to retrieve the cache."

Seems bogus to me after looking for the gentlemen mentioned in the story.
Thanks
This tale comes about from the alleged finding of John Crismo's diary and map concerning his stealing of the Grierson gold cache from Tazewell County,Virginia.
First question would be:Who found this diary?
There are many versions to this story.
John Crismo was from New York,served in the Mexican War,later joined a Union calvary unit out of Harrisburg,Pa,who where sent to Virginia.
He promised one of James Grierson's slave freedom (not torture) for the information on the cache,who showed him the spot behind the barn,buried 2 Ft deep in several leather bags.Crismo then set the slave free,and buried the bags near where the Penn calvary were camped.
Then the story states that Crismo was disabled,discharged,and after the war,traveled the midwest and west ,working menial jobs.
There was a James Grierson in Tazewell County,who was a Tory during the American Revolution,but Civil War records do not mention him or John Crismo.
Someone needs to search the origin of this legend.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread