Looking for other treasure legends...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Marc,
Here are a few choice stories from SoCal that have been around for a long time:

1. Pegleg Smith's black coated gold nuggets

2. Mexican Bandits who went up and down California raiding towns, missions, and the like, plundering all the wealth they came across. Making a bad decision, they attacked a tribe of local Indians, killing many braves and taking some women. When the rest of the tribe returned they set out after the Mexicans and caught them in the area of the confluence of Carrizo Wash and San Felipe Creek in the Anza-Borrego Desert near the Anza Pass. At first, the Indians left the "10 Oxcarts of loot" right there where it lay. Later the chief took some trusty braves and hid the gold in a cave in the mountains near that area.

I thought this story was just that until about two years ago, an off-roader who fell off his vehicle in that area cut his arm on a little gold box that he found containing a gold and ruby crucifix!

3. The story that is backed up by reports in the royal archives in Madrid about the Spanish Galleon that is somewhere under the dunes between Yuma, AZ. and Borrego Springs. These dunes cross highway 8. This Spanish Galleon contains hundreds of baskets of pearls and a small chest of gold.

Enjoy-Mike

O

onepick

the 7 citys of gold
mines that the spanish started before they were killed by indians in arizona

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
THE BOOK THAT I AM NOW READING GOLDEN MIRAGES IS ABOUT PEGLEG SMITH LOST SILVER MINE AND ABOUT THE BLANK NUGGETS IT LOOKS LIKE THERE WERE MORE THAN ONE PEGLEG SMITH THE BOOK WRITTEN BACK IN 1940 I HAVE ONLY READ 109 PAGES AS OF YET BUCK

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
How about the Lost Red Blanket mine? AKA Ed Scheffelins lost mine. He was the prospector from Oregon who discovered the silver lodes at Tombstone. In fact thats how they were named- one prospector told him "Ed, all you're going to find out there is your tombstone" as the indians were on the rampage at the time.

Supposedly it has been found, but I don't know if it has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

B

broron

here is one in the eastern part of texas in a small town named tatum. not very far out of longview or even tyler.......and right now 02-08-06 east texas is in a bit of a drought and water levels are extreamly low ! >>>Not far from Tatum,Tx. is Hendrick's Lake, which has been attracting treasure hunters since l913 when a man name Miller supposedly dredged up three silver bars. Treasure hunters have probed the 470-acre lake (located on private property) time and time again, using everything from ox-drawn scoops to electronic equipment. If they've found anything of value, they've kept the secret well.

The Hendrick's Lake treasure -- supposedly several million in silver bars and (by some acounts) two barrels of gold nuggets -- is rooted in a legend tied to freebooter Jean Lafitte, who reportedly took the loot from a Spanish ship and hired a notorious smuggler, Casper (Hot Horse) Trammel, to haul the plunder from Galveston to St. Louis over an early road known to thieves as Trammel's Trace. In what is now Panola County, Spanish calvarymen intercepted the wagon train. In desperation, Trammel ordered the wagons pushed into Hendrick's Lake and fled with his men......................
i just come across this article which is only a small part i have here.i do not know who owns the land but want to find out when i have time , it may be interesting

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
O K,I'll break out with some tales I have heard
Prescott,AZ,1870's,Fort Whipple a stage coach of U.S.Calvary payroll was taken by the Yavapai Tribe of the Salt River Apaches,quite a fight developed over this raid the Apache's made,they made off with the loot and to this day it is still hidden someplace around the Granite Dells area ;)

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
MesaBuddy said:
O K,I'll break out with some tales I have heard
Prescott,AZ,1870's,Fort Whipple a stage coach of U.S.Calvary payroll was taken by the Yavapai Tribe of the Salt River Apaches,quite a fight developed over this raid the Apache's made,they made off with the loot and to this day it is still hidden someplace around the Granite Dells area ;)
I do believe that I heard about that one But what about those stage coaches hold ups around the town of gillett AZ ??? ??? :'( Buck

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Yes you are right on that one Buck,I heard one of the locals that lived in town,he was a blacksmith?or a hotel owner?I can't remember,but as it turns out he was a murderer,robber and held up the stage numerous times and the loot was never found,I think he got convicted of one of his crimes and they hung him? ???
MesaB

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
MesaBuddy said:
Yes you are right on that one Buck,I heard one of the locals that lived in town,he was a blacksmith?or a hotel owner?I can't remember,but as it turns out he was a murderer,robber and held up the stage numerous times and the loot was never found,I think he got convicted of one of his crimes and they hung him? ???
MesaB
That is right he was a blacksmith I have looked for the buried (loot) from time to time Buck

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Oh cool Buck,so you have been up there!Been meaning to go there myself
Nice talking with ya Buck :D we'll get together soon

M

Maverick

Jeffro said:
How about the Lost Red Blanket mine? AKA Ed Scheffelins lost mine. He was the prospector from Oregon who discovered the silver lodes at Tombstone. In fact thats how they were named- one prospector told him "Ed, all you're going to find out there is your tombstone" as the indians were on the rampage at the time.

Supposedly it has been found, but I don't know if it has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Good grief Jeffro,

In all seriousness, you just quoted my step-father's ancestor. My step father's name is Dan Schieffelin and we did find out they are related. Those two seem to have two distinct traits in personaity.... 1. the Midas' Touch (golden, and everything works out as planned).... 2. in-your-face arrogance.

Naturally, we no longer speak to each other. :-\

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Heres another one I have heard about but am unable to recall the place(CRS-can't remember $hit) ;)
Either Stanton or Octave, AZ , in 1880's-1890's
Heavy flooding along the Hassyampa river and lots of flooding up in Prescott, AZ the south/west side of the Bradshaw mountains, a dam broke near the Waggoner? north of Yarnell,and the wall of water washed out a Hotel safe full of gold/money/you name it to this day it has not been found ??? a Th'er friend of mine has been searching for years for this safe all the way down to Wickenburg(but I will never let on where I think it's at ;)probably forgot ;)) ;D
Hey Gollum it is funny you mentioned that Spanish galleon full of pearls,my dads friend that used to fly his 310 Cessna told my dad and I a couple of times about seeing the ship in the middle of the sand dunes south of the Thermal, CA airport!So him and my dad would go looking for it, it seems that it would appear aftera wind storm(and there are lots of them around the Coachella Valley and surrounding area's)and a couple of other people would talk of it while I was in high school(Indio HS 1976-Go Rajahs lol) :D

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that maybe the same flood that killed (or gave pneumonia to) old Waltz in 1891?

Not sure if it's been found yet, but there is/was a LOT of buried gold somewhere in White Sands Texas. There is a lookout/historical marker 6 miles I believe from where the gold is believed to be. It was a band of gold miners from California making their way back east trying to avoid attack from indians traveling through the white sands area. They reportedly would bury the gold every night, and everyone knew where it was, so if they got attacked the survivors could find the gold. Well, they were attacked, and everyone was killed, so the gold is lost now.

Wish I could remember how much it was. It was a lot though.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
HAY!
Let's relate our own treasure tale !
I have first hand knowledge of a crevice or small cavern system on top (8600') of the Caballo Mnts in NM!
It's a spooky road, up the mnt., but, in a good 4x4, it is driveable!
I am planning to make this my first stop, on this trip!
Anyone interested in being " The Legend? "
Drop me a "PM" .... for details

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mesabuddy, if your dad is still alive (should be, you're only 48) why not Google Earth and see if he can pinpoint the area of the galleon. It looks pretty well developed but very far south it looks like there could be dunes. If he saw it there must be something there, and probably pretty far south, otherwise many other pilots would have seen it also. Just an idea....
Bobinsd

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Sorry Bob , my dad passed away 10 yrs. ago had Alzheimers real bad , his buddy Cal Smith (who flew my dad's plane on charters , etc.) was the one to have first seen the"Galleon" in the middle of the dunes , and him , my dad and a family friend would go off searching for this old ship , those dunes out there shift around quite a bit , so maybe one day an off roader might dicover it.
And that opens up another can of worms as to who has dicovered treasure by accident ;) as I have heard/seen evidence of many accidental finds
Have a Good One
MesaB

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MB,
The height of the lake (Caihuilla?) I think was 40-50 feet above the Salton Sea. Maybe by inspecting a topo the area of possibility could be isolated. Sand dunes plus old sea level = stranded ship. I find it hard to believe that the survivors would have made it back to Mexico, but with all the water back then it was a much different scenario. They might have gotten some indian canoes and paddled to Acapulco...good margaritas.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS...sorry about your Dad. I wish mine had lived to see his Grandson hit a homer on his 1st ML pitch. My dad left me a postcard dated 1938 written by Lou Gehrig. ..a real treasure.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread