Another piece to the puzzle? Never before seen Peralta Stone.

KeepingitCool

Greenie
Jul 17, 2019
Gila County
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ys , my good friend Ollie passed away but the quest to find the meaning of the symbols and inscriptions on the rock, was still strong. I did alot of research of symbols and trail markersbut till he meanings were not clear. Eventually the quest stalled and I was thinking that the rocks meaning would never be solved. Then one day after pondering the carvings on the stone I came up with a plan . I would use one of modern societies most helpfull tools for exploring the landscape of anywhere on the planet "Google Earth" . Since I had been shown the exact location the rock had been when Ollie found it, i would use that as the starting point for the layovers which would be porportional to the dotted line that is on Ollie's stone. One would use a mnimal value as the distance between dots of the petroglyph transposed onto the google eath satelite view of the area surrounding the location of the stones original location when found. The other overlay would have a large value as the measurment for the spacings. Then with both overlays on the google earth view I could draw a line between the end [points and that would or should have the actual end point somewhere on it. Once I had that line I went and closely searched the teraine along the line for any kind of clue as to the mine being close by. In other words I looked for water , ponds any corral like areas and sure enough I found an area that stood out looking like an oasis. 0(to be continued)

KeepingitCool

Greenie
Jul 17, 2019
Gila County
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The next chance I got I made the trip from where I live to the area where I had seen on Google Earth a likely spot for the location for a camp of miners and the support team of animals and animal handlers , cooks ect. , ect.. I found the water was contained by three large pools which were dug right into to solid bedrock. The top or highest one was aprox 3-4 ft deep and about 6-8 ft wide. It overflowed into the second one about 4-5 ft. lower than the top pool and was about the same size as the first but possibly a bit smaller. The second one overflowed into the third which was about 3-4 ft lower than the second and it was a little bit smaller than the other two. The whole area surrounding the ponds was lush and green and it was nice and shadey and cool compared to the general area which was hot dry desert. After taking some pictures of the water holes and trees I grabbed a backpack and rock hammer and set out exploring the desert area ajacent to the oasis. Jumped a herd of about a dozen mule deer out of their beds in one of the small dry washes nearby and watched as they meandered away through the chaparral of cactus and mesquite. As I was intent on finding some sign of mining activity I was looking at every rock outcropping and scrutinizing every visible ledge for quartzveins or mine shafts/drifts. I found an area that was littered with white bull quartz with plenty of visible mica veins lacing through it. I could feel it. I was in the right area and then I found it. No..., not the lost mine or pot of gold, I found the first of several patented mining claim markers. I paused for a few minutes and read the information on the claim and laughed out loud as a feeling of melancholy came over me. The search was over. I had been putting alot of effort over the past three or four years, studying the markings on the stone , researching the information I could find on the spanish mines and miners that had come to this area from their homes halfway around the world. Establishing mines that produced precious metals that would be shipped by mule train to the gulf coast , loaded onto sailships and sent to a king in a faraway land that wanted to keep recieving the metals found here so much that he had men here whose only job was to make coded trail markers and maps and monuments that would ensure the continuity of those commodities.
It was a somber momment . Saddened by the fact that the area had been claimed by someone else already and an empty feeling for the ong search was over, now what would I do in my spare time. All that was offset by the feeling of accomplishment and success. I had done what I had feared would be impossible to to do. I never did decipher the meanings of the markings on the rock but I was able to find the location of the rocks end point. So with a few specimens of the ore that was laying around all over the place , I headed back to the truck and my adventure ended quietly as i drove home.
I wish to thak all those that gave imput on these web pages and I wish to thank those of my good friends that put up with my eccentric behavior and determined stubborness. But mainly I wish to thaqnk my dearly departed friend "ollie" Robert Oliver for allowing me to take on the challenge of findind the meaning behind his discovery. Rest in peace my dear friend. You will always hold a place dear to the hearts and memories of all that knew you. Albert P. Curiel July 18, 2019

Tom Walter

Greenie
Feb 19, 2005
Ollie's stone looks to me like a grave marker. The top of the stone has "MOM" carved into it. Just below "MOM" (on the edge of the stone) is "Theida;" an old Germanic name. The letters are poorly ascribed making it appear that the author was only partially literate. Since no mention to Wife is present I would guess the author was one of Theida's children. This stone is probably the last surviving testament to a sad story that was repeated many times throughout American history. A poor immigrant family crossing the American frontier, in search of a more prosperous life, only to encounter tragedy along the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread