Another piece to the puzzle? Never before seen Peralta Stone.

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me introduce myself first. Albert or Alb for short. I live in Globe AZ and I have an interesting story to tell. Here a few months ago a friend came by to see me wanting to see if I still had a book of mine that he had seen a few years ago. The book pertained to signs and symbols used by the spanish miners to mark maps or trails to their gold and silver mines way back when the area of the southwest U.S. belonged to spain. The reason he wanted the book was because a friend of his "Ollie" had this rock with some old carvings on it and he thought it might be helpful in decifering its message. I found the book and show him it which left him unsure as to how to read the stones markings. I still had no idea what Ollie's stone looked like but about a week later he brought Ollie over and we met. I showed him the book and he was unsure what to do with it but invited me to come see the stone for myself. He told me he found it not far from his property which is between Superior and Florence Junction, AZ. It was on top of the ground with the writings facing up and he decided to take it to the house. Like I said that was a decade ago but he can still show you exactly where he found it in the desert.
So anyway I was interested to see the stone and curious as to its origins but at that time I had little knowledge of any other stones like his. Then I heard of the Peralta stones while browsing a Lost Gold website. As I read and learned more about the Peralta Stones and their significance in the legend of the lost dutchman, I began to wonder if the stone Ollie had was possibly connected these others somehow. "Well?" I thought, Why not go see it for myself and let Ollie know what my thoughts were on the possible connection to the Peralta Stones. That is what I did just today 3/11/13, I took photos of Ollie and his "Peralta Stone" which I will upload here and then you all can decide what to make of it. I am not greedy but as I told Ollie if it turns out to be worth something then maybe you can help me out. Of course he agreed. So without further discussion let me attempt to bring those pictures forth for the first time anywhere, The latest chapter in the legend of the lost dutchman.

Attachments

• ollie's stone 001.jpg
    ollie's stone 001.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,325
  • ollie's stone 003.jpg
    ollie's stone 003.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,256
  • ollie's stone 004.jpg
    ollie's stone 004.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,304
  • ollie's stone 005.jpg
    ollie's stone 005.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,286
  • ollie's stone 006.jpg
    ollie's stone 006.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,299
  • ollie's stone 007.jpg
    ollie's stone 007.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,307
  • ollie's stone 009.jpg
    ollie's stone 009.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,284

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alb:
Claim marker ?
There's nothing showing in your photos that says "stone map' to me, although the block lettering style looks similar.
But the letters are reverse, unlike those on the Stone Maps. Still might be related somehow.
And it's white rock, so that's a plus.
Could be a coded trail marker and probably worth looking for more of the same kind.

Regards:SH.

OP
OP
alberticus59

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alb:
Claim marker ?
There's nothing showing in your photos that says "stone map' to me, although the block lettering style looks similar.
But the letters are reverse, unlike those on the Stone Maps. Still might be related somehow.
And it's white rock, so that's a plus.
Could be a coded trail marker and probably worth looking for more of the same kind.

S.H. , Thanks for your input. I agree that there are some obvious differences between it and the Peralta's . I remember reading somewhere that the letters turned backwards have a specific meaning to them. also , the pictures can not capture the smaller markings like the dagger and the arrows and crosses. On the close up picture I was trying to show what appears to be an obvious skyline with the shape of the mountains and some in the foreground even. I'm not sure but a trail marker does sound reasonable. although it may be from a different group of miners leaving markings to their mines. I'm sure the Peraltas weren't the only ones that had mines in the area.

OP
OP
alberticus59

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I was sure that my post would create a stir with in this forum, but perhaps the readers are unimpressed by the stone I am presenting. This is not a hoax or some fools idea of a joke . The stone is real and the circumstances of its discovery are just as I have explained. I took the pictures with my cel phone which may not have been the right tool for such an important chore. Maybe I am just impatient as I await response from you readers. I would greatly appreciate any reaction either positive or negative. If I can attract the attention of some expert that could help authenticate or disprove this find, that would be enough to make all this worth while. Thank you for time and consideration. Alb

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's awesome

OP
OP
alberticus59

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you recondigger . Maybe I'm just being impatient. It is awesome I wish I had taken more photos, except instead of the phone with a proper camera. What the pics dont show is what makes it all the more realistic. There are smaller markings along with the larger letters. such as arrows crosses , daggers a skyline which is pictured and my last pic of the stone shows the skyline in close up. I have Ollies permission to put the stone up for examination by whoever may be interested in proving it real or hoax. I invite any request for a hands on examination will be considered. Alb

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you take note as to what azimuth the stone was pointing?

OP
OP
alberticus59

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good evening Trop. Tramp, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your response, Thank You. Ok ,so because the D & B are reversed the information provided by the whole marker is opposite ? You see, although Ollie told me more or less where the stone was found, I personally didnt see it until recently. He did point out a low hill close to where he lives and sail it was about half way up on the side of that hill. noow , I, read in a book I have about signs , symbols, and trail markers made by the spanish miners, that they would use an "eye catcher" that would stand out from a distance, to point the way to the entrance to the mine or to the trail leading to the mine. Since this pointed stone( notice on the photo showing the whole thing that one end of it is pointed )was on the side of this hill the trail must be passing along near this hill and the eye catcher would point the way to the next marker and the info written there on would give more clues as to the trails difficulty, availability of water, defenseability. The reversed letters or mirror image letters would definetly provide coded clues very nicely. Making the trail easy to follow as long as you know the codes hidden meaning. I am getting an idea that as somehiker mentioned or suggested that looking for more of these markers is really the best next step that needs to be taken. however, I am not sure what the symbols say and that could be the difference between going and finding the next marker or going searching without knowing which way to look.

OP
OP
alberticus59

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello again recondigger, once again I thank you for your input and as you will have read in my reply to trop tramp, it was not I that discovered the stone but my new friend "Ollie". As I stated in my last post I believe it is time to revisit Ollie and do some investigation. of course I will ask to see the actual spot and the position the stone was in when he found it. That may at least give me some direction to look for another marker. I'm gonna be honest with you recon, this is really getting exciting. I can hardly wait to get back over to my friends house so we can go looking for the next marker. I need to keep reminding myself that it may lead no where because of some flaw in my reasoning, or that I may be right on with the reasoning only to find it leading me to an already worked mine. If it does lead me to some prosperity you can bet I will be posting some smilely faces just to let everyone that is following along know that I was successful. Thanks again. Alb

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Well, I was sure that my post would create a stir with in this forum, but perhaps the readers are unimpressed by the stone I am presenting. This is not a hoax or some fools idea of a joke . The stone is real and the circumstances of its discovery are just as I have explained. I took the pictures with my cel phone which may not have been the right tool for such an important chore. Maybe I am just impatient as I await response from you readers. I would greatly appreciate any reaction either positive or negative. If I can attract the attention of some expert that could help authenticate or disprove this find, that would be enough to make all this worth while. Thank you for time and consideration. Alb

Alb,

The stones are interesting, but you should keep in mind that there have been a number of Dutch Hunters over the years who have created these types of things, and left them for others to find.

Good luck with figuring them out.

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
alberticus59

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cactus Jumper, Thank you for posting your advice I do sincerely appreciate it. I am not real sure that I understand what you are saying. Do you mean that there were some dutch "treasure" hunters that were making these trail markers as fakes to fool us that find them. That seems like a lot of work to go through just to perpetrate a hoax that they would likely never be able to see the conclusion or even be sure that it would reach that conclusion. I am somewhat confused as to what they were hunting and why they would be making these markers . maybe you could give me a little more information or direct me to where I could find it. I am trying to temper my excitement over this marker with skeptisism . I will keep in mind that there could be any number of possible explanations for that rock being where it was and with those markings on it. I sure do hope to find the truth either way. To me the only bad result would be to never solve the riddle at all. Alb

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google ADBHI.....quite a few things pop up, from a first name in India, to a direction, also part of a measurement.......??

OP
OP
alberticus59

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Google ADBHI.....quite a few things pop up, from a first name in India, to a direction, also part of a measurement.......??

Brilliant idea Gold Maven. I wish I would of thought of it. I guess that is the whole reason for being here. A very heartfelt thank you. May the mere mention of your name strike fear in the hearts of your enemies. Alb

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brought to mind another place I visited a year and a half ago.

View attachment 100_0878 bc.bmp

Rumour has it, some guano miners struck it rich up in that cave.:goldbar:

View attachment 100_1017 bc.bmp

They built a long ladder to get up to the opening.

100_1027sm.jpg

That post sticking out from the rock is about seventy feet from the bottom, where the guano looks like a sand dune....or "guanadune".:laughing7:
Then it's another 40-50 ft. to the opening above.
Maybe we're too late......:sad10::crybaby2:

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this shot while I was out taking pictures of other stuff near the cave.

View attachment 759245
100_0883perfil_zpsa265a8c8.jpg

Can't say what he's lookin at, though.

Last edited:

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could this stone be a claim marker, as already mentioned by someone? Or an old grave marker? Or coded instructions to a close by cache of some kind? Did anyone think to metal detect under where the stone was found? I would be looking for other stones or obvious clues near where Ollie found the stone. This is very interesting- can't wait to hear what you find out!

OP
OP
alberticus59

alberticus59

Mar 11, 2013
Globe, AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Markmar, Thank you for your response. What can I say there definitely does seem to be a match. Is it possible that this could be the skyline etched onto Ollies stone? I think it deserves a closer look. Since I am not the owner of the stone I will gather all the new information. [ basically, print all the exchanges between myself and the forum.] Then drive down to Ollie's and let him see and read the new info. I then exchange ideas and thoughts on the subject with him. Then together we come to agree on what the next move will be. I am starting to get really excited about this adventure and you can take credit for being a part of it when and if it ever comes to a conclusion. Thanks again , Alb

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are no records of anything in the usgs site for Arizona for any mines with any of those letters in the name or title at all.
Have not checked the LR2000 if that would make any difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread