Keeney Ferry Gold or Bannock War of 1878

majolle

Greenie
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a story that has been thrown around in the past. I am curious if any others here have heard anything or could add any thing.
In 1878 the Bannock and Paiute tribes under Chief Buffalo Horn in southern Idaho went to war against the encroaching settlers. The Army, consisting of the 21st Infantry under Brig Gen Howard were dispatched to quell the outbreak. They engaged in running battles in southwest Idaho where Chief Buffalo Horn was killed at a place called Indian Meadows. The Indians regrouped under Chief Egan and headed for the Steen's mountains in Oregon. The Army trailed the tribe and met in a small skirmish at Trout Creek. Chief Winnemucca's daughter was educated and had befriended the Troops. She was also Paiute so she came and went within the Indian encampment. While in the Steens, she met with Col. Bernard and told them the Indians were going to turn north and meet up with the Umatillas in the Blues and join forces where they could make a great stand.
Col. Bernard then decided to dispatch 3 soldiers back to Fort Boise to mobilize the artillery and try and intercept the indian column on the John Day. The artillery failed to get there in time and the Indians once again broke and headed for the Blues where they had their last battle near Meacham.
Now for the good part. The 3 soldiers dispatched rode back to Fort Boise, when they got to the Ferry crossing they paid with gold nuggets. The ferryman was named Kenney and he relates the story that they told him. They had camped two days ride out near a spring. The next morning they awoke to find that their ponies had wandered off. They trailed them up a narrow canyon and found them. while there they discovered a crack in the canyon wall and it was pure gold. They filled there saddle bags and pockets and continued there journey. This intrigued Kenney to the point that he sold his ferry business and headed for the camp which he was pretty sure he knew. He found what he believed had been their camp and there the search began. Kenney spent the rest of his life in search. In fact they even named a mountain after him. He never found the mother lode. The soldiers continued in service and were sent to battle. 1 was killed in battle and the other two went onto Fort Umatilla, 1 went on to Portland and from there disappears. Nothing else is heard form any of them.
Many years later in a similiar story. A sheepherder was grazing a band of sheep in the same vicinity, he got flea bit and contracted Rocky Mtn. fever. The camp tender found him in camp burning up with fever, he took him back to the base camp at Twin Springs, from there they decided he needed a doctor so he was taken into Vale. He kept telling of a cache he had found, but nobody took him serious until after he died. They opened his sleeping bag and found a tote bag full of pure gold. This sparked a relentless search for many years, but no one has declared they have found it. The gold the sheepherder had was sold to the bank and was on display in a case for many years. It was wire and rough cabs like broken off stringers. I know the Grassy Mountain, Twin Springs area has been worked to death. Studying maps, and telegraph messages I have concluded that these stories may well be one in the same except for time difference.
I don't think the gold is placer. I believe it is a pure stringer that has been in a canyon wall. A dry wash, or maybe even just an outcropping. I read a book many years ago written by a lady who as a young girl, her dad and family during the depression had lived in a covered wagon, prospecting the desert and mountains of the great basin. In Nevada not far from Battle Mountain, he was prospecting an area when he stopped mid day to rest and eat his lunch. He rested near a sagebrush covered hilltop. As he ate he noticed an odd looking stick poking out of the ground near the sage. He said it was about as big around as a childs wrist and a deep rusty red color. After finishing eating he got up and kicked the stick. It was a solid gold stringer and it bent over. He broke off a large chunk and went about securing the area of his find. After some mining, he found a mother lode. eventually he sold his claim to UP Railroad, and it became one of the biggest gold finds in Nevada at that time. I think the mine is still being worked today.
Studying the geology of the surrounding area, there is a lot of silicated sandstone and ryolites. Most of the area is overlaid basalt flow. There are several claims and some gold has been found scattered throughout this area. But up one draw you find nothing but leverite, over the ridge you find entirely different rock.
I have searched for this for at least 10 years now, I haven't given up because I keep getting bits and pieces of the story. I wish I had more time and less work. This is big country and hostile at best. I have already had to hike 15 miles out once after blowing 2 perfectly good tires in one day.

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm near that area in SW Idaho, I'd sure like to hear more ideas on this! An old timer desert rat type once told his son, who is a friend of mine, that there is lots of gold in the Owhyee desert mountains, and the area mostly west and south of Succor Creek state park in SE Oregon. Some of the gold will take a little patience to find, since there has not been enough geological time to uncover it as placer gold. As for the rest of it, according to him- it is in places you do not expect it to be. He said a person should dry wash any of the lower gullies below any basalt rimrocks, but mostly what I see out there in the desert mountains is devoid of much quartz. And I always assumed that the gold would be closer to quartz then basalt. Now there is alot of agate and jasper, and petrefied wood mixed with the basalt and shale or sandstone in
places like the Lesie Gulch area. But maby that area is to far east and north of where the other rumored gold finds are/were? Although it is not far south of Vale, Oregon.
Ok, let's hear more, I'm intrigued now!!

OP
OP
M

majolle

Greenie
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found very little gold on the east side of the Owyhee, not that it makes a difference. But I know there are quite a few Jasper claims in that area. and anywhere you tend to find gem in a basalt area, usually there is gold or silver not far. Now on the west side of the Owyhee the opposite seems to be the rule. More Gold and fewer gems, however there are several petrified wood deposits over there. Go figure.

ekyniston

May 16, 2014
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Gold Bugs, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Majolle,
Hi, I live in the Ontario area and have been visiting the Dry Creek area for the last 40 years and have been researching the story and area for the last 20 years. It is a huge search area with dangerous cliffs/canyons. I also think that the ledge is in a short draw with not much water movement. I have heard of the occasional nugget found down near where Dry Creek meet the Owyhee. My wife says that my searching the area by myself is a little too dangerous and that I should find someone else that has mountaineering experience to search with. Maybe we could improve our search results by working together.
v/r everett

gunnerdaddy

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2015
Meridian, ID
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey ekyniston,
I recently moved to Meridian, Idaho. Have you found anyone to partner with? I'm thinking about Boise County in the warmer months and Owyhee County in the cooler months.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Story sounds great, I hope that is is true. Read old newspapers and old history books. Good luck to all. Keep in touch.

sunmines

Sep 5, 2018
La Grande, OR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sunmines

Some sources say Keene. History is he rode with Jim Bridger, later went to California and bought a herd of cattle that he drove to Sumpter, OR and sold for a good profit. He then pioneered the first wagon trail along the cliffs of the South side of the Columbia River from The Dalles, OR to near Troutdale, OR, via Rowena, OR. An Ontario, OR newspaper said that shortly after the soldiers showed him the gold, he left his ferry business and hunted for the gold, but just a few days later he was found dead of gunshot wound, where it was said that he carried his rifle barrel up for quick defense and the gun went off and killed him.

In the 1963-1964 time frame my Father, Clarence Eugene Smith, ran heavy equipment and helped build the Bully Creek Dam, near Vale, OR. In nightly drinking at the local bars he ran into and befriended an old timer that eventually told my Father that he was one of the people that opened the dead sheepherder's blanket. After much begging he showed my Father a grapefruit-sized piece of the ore, and eventually gave my Father a thumb-sized piece. We had it fire-assayed at Mariposa Spectrographic Laboratory, Mariposa, CA. Mr. Graves, the Assayor, said it was a shame to destroy the sample for assay. I have the original assay letter, and filed a copy with the State Mining and Geology office in Baker, OR a few years ago. Here is the fire-assay results: 2739.50 oz./ton Gold, 12.10 oz./ton Silver. Did the sample really come from the sheepherder's blanket? I don't know, but I believe my Father, and he believed the old timer from Vale. Who knows for sure? It could have come from Cripple Creek, CO, for all we know.

P.S.: The ore was Rose Quartz, fractured, with sharp pieces of gold everywhere in it, and just falling out of it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread