Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I was a small child I have heard of a lost stagecoach near my home that was supposed to contain two sacks of gold. Suposidly a hunter stumbled onto the stagecoach back in the 1940's before WWII. It was disasembled or broken up and stuffed into a crevice, the two bags of gold being found inside the wreckage. The hunter was unable to carry the gold so went for help and was unable to find it when he and a friend went back. The area in question is in about a 5 mile square area of heavily wooded terrain that is full of limestone bluffs and crevices.There is an old landfill on one end of the parcel of land and a housing and shopping center on the other end. The other two sides are outlined by semi-rural thoroughfares. It is located between Tulsa and Sand Spriongs, Oklahoma. Back when I first heard the story in the early 1950's the land was totally vacant with only one dirt one lane road running part way through it. At that time it was part of a parcel about ten by twenty miles roughly rectangular in shape. As a young lad I hunted the area and avoided the area of crevices as it was so hard to negotiate by foot, having to climb up and down just to get across it. That's probably the reason it hasn't been developed over the years. Is there a treasure there? I don't know. The men who use to discuss it and who spread the legend are all dead or extremely elderly. Even when the legend was first started it was just something someone had heard from a second or third party. I don't ever remember hearing a name mentioned when referring to the finder. Interestng enough this area was part of Indian Territory back in the Civil War Era and beyond. Nearly all the famous or infamous outlaws did frequent the area such as the James Brothers, the Daltons, Youngers, and even well known gangsters of the 1920'a and 1930's such as Baby Face Nelson, Dillinger, The Barkers and many, many others. At one time in the 1950's I recall several forays into the area to look for the gold but I haven't heard of anyone seriously looking for it in years. I suppose those who remember it at all consider it more of an urban legend than anything. Jim Miller

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Thanks for sharing that intersting story. I never heard that one before. Good luck.

Gary

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about any symbols? I wouldn't recognize them as such probably as I am not into treasure hunting. I haven't been through the area since I was a teenager and I am 60 now. Part of the area has some bike trails where off roaders run their bikes. Someone closed off the trails and I don't think anyone has accessed the area in 4 or 5 years. As I said I think the story is an urban legend and I haven't heard it discussed by anyone in years. It's just something my wife and I were talking about one evening when our conversation turned to metal detecting and treasure hunting.

Dominoe

Mar 20, 2004
Oklahoma
I live in Tulsa, can you be more specific about the area? I know there is a legend about a cache being buried in Chandler park. It's too crowded and heavily used to find any of the signs that would have been left. Email me the location you suspect and I'll go hike it out for you and let you know what I find.

Dom...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dominoe, have at it, I have no intention of looking for it. I have a physical problem and don't get around on foot very well. It's supposed to be somewhere between Chandler Park and and the highline wires to the west about a mile and a half, closer to Avery Drive than to W.41 St. All of that land is private property and I'm not sure who owns it. The area is pretty much spoiled from being used as a motor cycle and off road track. Lots of small vehicular traffic back in there. As I originally stated I think it is a myth or someone would have found it by now, Suit yourself.

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Treasure Magazine 1968 has on near barnsdale, but maybe this is the one. "Wilson also told of another eighty thousand supposed buried by the james gang in a rock pocket southeast of sand springs.The site is not far form the Mannford cave of the James younger gang, A few miles west of pryor is over a hundred thousand dollar cach James Younger gang. Another younger site a mile east of Sand springs south of the arkansasabout 60,000.00. Pretty Boy at salisaw.Oklahoma treasure Lost and Found Jerry Roscoe. I really like the found

Wild Boulder

MythicalUnikrn

Feb 24, 2022
Exploring reality, from afar.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious as to of tha gentleman who started this post, still frequented his post?
Man, sooo many comments and thoughts arise(which mind you will turn to questions) regarding tha James, Younger, Dalton brother(s)/gang(s). From '93-'98 my younger sister and myself were placed in tha Sand Springs Home also known as a Orphanage. Skip forward I came across a story in Steve Wilson's book about a cabin that sat on the almost very spot of where the home is, tht held a hidden map which Emit Dalton upon his release from prison retrieved prior to digging up a few holes which held loot from previous bank/stage robberies.
About a mile from here mile an a half my grandfather (Wright) built a sandstone "castle style" house. I remember it before going to tha home but never visited him again until '98/'99. Tha Shoemakers own it now and have been adding on it it. About 500ft is a ridge that comes off'a tha Arkansas river and goes deep into Osage county while winding up Old North road. As with tha cabin on pages property multiple outlaws have explored/traveled through here.(this would be directly north across tha river from Chandler park.) Belle Starr is said to have a cache along tha river on tha Chandler side as well. Ive located a railroad tie driven into the base of a tree with a rock placed inside the root system of a tree which trees push rocks not suck it in.. just saying

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Curious as to of tha gentleman who started this post, still frequented his post?
Man, sooo many comments and thoughts arise(which mind you will turn to questions) regarding tha James, Younger, Dalton brother(s)/gang(s). From '93-'98 my younger sister and myself were placed in tha Sand Springs Home also known as a Orphanage. Skip forward I came across a story in Steve Wilson's book about a cabin that sat on the almost very spot of where the home is, tht held a hidden map which Emit Dalton upon his release from prison retrieved prior to digging up a few holes which held loot from previous bank/stage robberies.
About a mile from here mile an a half my grandfather (Wright) built a sandstone "castle style" house. I remember it before going to tha home but never visited him again until '98/'99. Tha Shoemakers own it now and have been adding on it it. About 500ft is a ridge that comes off'a tha Arkansas river and goes deep into Osage county while winding up Old North road. As with tha cabin on pages property multiple outlaws have explored/traveled through here.(this would be directly north across tha river from Chandler park.) Belle Starr is said to have a cache along tha river on tha Chandler side as well. Ive located a railroad tie driven into the base of a tree with a rock placed inside the root system of a tree which trees push rocks not suck it in.. just saying

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, Monte passed away about 10 Years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread