3 Gold crosses

Abilene

Sep 25, 2013
abilene texas
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lone star,and garrett pin pointer and ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a legend about 3 gold crosses buried under a large rock in Taylor county Texas. It is around Buffalo Gap. Rumor is the rock is not marked, but is different then other rocks in this area. There has been at lest 3 different groups at city hall asking questions. I have lived in this area nearly 60 years and is the first I have heard of this story.???

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Tag post - just to follow the discussion. I look forward to reading more! :thumbsup:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, the Catholic Cross Cache of 1780, near Castle Gap, Texas. Mentioned in the Texas State Historical Association listings. May be more online and in the UT library in Austin. Too old and too busy to research now, but let us know what you find...

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Abilene:

Probert has just one reference to the "Buffalo Gap Treasure" - unfortunately, it's Thomas Penfield (Directory and repeated in A Guide to Treasure in Texas). That's not much to go on - I have not found Penfield to be a very reliable source.

I also found "Buffalo Gap's Hidden Gold" By D. Van Atchley in Lost Treasure (July 1976). I believe you can purchase a copy of that article on their website for about three bucks. Again - not a reliable source.

But Penfield found the story somewhere. Is it mentioned in the WPA Guide to Texas? You could check the on-line newspaper files for 19th or early 20th Century articles describing hunts for the plunder.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Abilene, I have information you might find useful about another possible treasure site out your way. Used to be my hunting lease in the 90's till new owners kicked everybody off.. Pm me.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
pyledriver:

Anyone who can access hunting camps and lodges - the fancier the better - would be well advised to check them out. Particularly from the 1920s and 1930s. Poker and crap game winnings, bootleg whiskey proceeds, rich lawyers and doctors hiding ca$h from the tax man and the misses...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This is true. However, there could be much better than that there. I don't know that anybody could get access-the owners do not return messages of any kind about hunting trips they advertise on their site as it is. Still..

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Abilene:

Probert has just one reference to the "Buffalo Gap Treasure" - unfortunately, it's Thomas Penfield (Directory and repeated in A Guide to Treasure in Texas). That's not much to go on - I have not found Penfield to be a very reliable source.

I also found "Buffalo Gap's Hidden Gold" By D. Van Atchley in Lost Treasure (July 1976). I believe you can purchase a copy of that article on their website for about three bucks. Again - not a reliable source.

But Penfield found the story somewhere. Is it mentioned in the WPA Guide to Texas? You could check the on-line newspaper files for 19th or early 20th Century articles describing hunts for the plunder.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Words cannot describe how much I simultaneously enjoy and despise Penfield and Carson's state by state treasure guides. I'd throw Terry's treasure Atlases in the same boat. All provide just enough to get you wondering without a single shred of bibliographic information to follow up with. They vomit out untold numbers of leads with no context or attribution to sources.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread