Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm I'm not too bright, but I don't remember a "lot" of gold being found anywhere in the eastern US.
Never heard of Dahlonega Ga. huh? It's ok, there's many places in our country, I am not aware of either.
They say, only 20% of the gold lode, was mined out of Dahlonega......

Rebel, I'm not good with symbols and signs, but I thought the map legend for a curved cross, indicated a waterfall.
Are you doing RV to glean this info?
The op brings up a very interesting story. I would also check in to the fellow that hired the Indian man. That Indian man went to that locale, I'm sure, for a reason.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
RV...? LOL! NAW... GUESS! NOT to be MYSTERIOUS... the OP "legend" is VERY similar to the WATERHOUSE TREASURE "legend" in NORTHERN Ga. I have a book on "Indian" symbols, and they used LOTS of Spanish symbols, so Spanish ppl could be blamed for "bad" stuff... LATER!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
AND! Cherokee land before "white Man" was as far NORTH as Ohio, where their "bitter enemy" the Shawnee Nation was; WEST to Illinois where COHOKIA was. BUT! MAIN capital for Cherokee Nation was in today's Georgia, where NEW ECHOTA was; now you "see" why Rocky Face Mountain in Ga. was VERY important to Cherokee Nation. Yes, there are Cherokee "mines" in Eastern Tenn, Western Mountains of NC, and SW Virginia; "legends" are mixed with Melungeon Mines "legends". HH! GOOD LUCK! Waterhouse Treasure is the "MATRIX".

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... US Gov't had to have a US MINT (Dahlonega) near-by to "process" it all...
During the War of Northern Aggression,the Confederate government seized the US mint at Dahlonega,as as well as the US mint in New Orleans.Feb 1862,CSA Sec of Treasury,Christopher G Memminger reopened Dahlonega as the CSA ASSAY Office,and appointed Lewis Quillian as assayer.
Assistant CSA treasurer,Anthony Guirot,had the remaining gold and silver from the New Orleans mint shipped to Dahlonega for assaying and casting into bars.Quillian recieved the shipment of 900 oz of gold and 17,000 oz of silver June 1862,which he assayed and cast into bars.
Quillian crated the bars and on Oct 1,1862,loaded them onto a wagon for shipment to Thomas Metcalf Confederate Depository Bank in Augusta.The shipment NEVER ARRIVED! Valued at $38,500.00 in 1862,Memminger considered it a major loss for the Confederate treasury.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
During the War of Northern Aggression,the Confederate government seized the US mint at Dahlonega,as as well as the US mint in New Orleans.Feb 1862,CSA Sec of Treasury,Christopher G Memminger reopened Dahlonega as the CSA ASSAY Office,and appointed Lewis Quillian as assayer.
Assistant CSA treasurer,Anthony Guirot,had the remaining gold and silver from the New Orleans mint shipped to Dahlonega for assaying and casting into bars.Quillian recieved the shipment of 900 oz of gold and 17,000 oz of silver June 1862,which he assayed and cast into bars.
Quillian crated the bars and on Oct 1,1862,loaded them onto a wagon for shipment to Thomas Metcalf Confederate Depository Bank in Augusta.The shipment NEVER ARRIVED! Valued at $38,500.00 in 1862,Memminger considered it a major loss for the Confederate treasury.

LAWD GAWD A'mighty!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Never heard of Dahlonega Ga. huh? It's ok, there's many places in our country, I am not aware of either.
They say, only 20% of the gold lode, was mined out of Dahlonega......

Rebel, I'm not good with symbols and signs, but I thought the map legend for a curved cross, indicated a waterfall.
Are you doing RV to glean this info?
The op brings up a very interesting story. I would also check in to the fellow that hired the Indian man. That Indian man went to that locale, I'm sure, for a reason.

LOL! "Curved Cross" sounds like the movie, DRAGONFLY (LOVED IT!), in which kids in the hospital saw spirits and drew curved cross (dragonfly/waterfall); birth-mark of male doc's baby saved by native tribe (his wife, also a doc died in an accident, etc...); NO "spoiler-alert" here! HA!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have hunted Elk River in Coffee county over by Pelham. I have also hunted the mountain it backs up to which is Monteagle below Suwanne. Hunted rock shelters up there and south to Carter Mtn. Tons of caves and over hangs. Cave belt of the south. There are also rumors of some areas near there producing gold. I do not know if it is where the Elk starts. We do plan on testing some creeks on the other side of the mountain this summer. I have heard of several legends in this area about Cherokee Gold. One specifically near Nick-a jack cave. We hunt Rocky Face (not really a mtn but a ridge) and Buzzards Roost for civil war relics in Ga.
Desoto was here on Williams Island on the Tn River. I think his route can be closely traced.Not hunted Dahlonega but been there. Have friends who do well on Coker creek.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember if these beads were dug in Ga or Tn. I will have to ask again.
HH
TnMtns

100_1418.JPG

OP
OP
T

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rebel, You're dead right. Sequoyah was a master blacksmith and used a lot of copper. This seems to be the first metal that was used by many tribes.

OP
OP
T

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tnmountains, I have run across research that Desoto was in east TN. He was noted by his chronicler on July 2, 1540 to be on Bussell Island. Desoto called it Coste after the Spanish word Cast. He stayed there July 2 1540 to July 9 and was given a green buffalo hide by the Indians. He observed the Indians had gold, copper, and silver they told him come from Chisca, near present day Boone North Carolina. He came to Coste from Chiaha-now Zimmerman Island on Douglas Lake near Dandridge, TN where he stayed from June 5 to June 28 1540. A later journey by Juan Pardo in Oct. 1567 recovered chainmail of one of Desoto's soldiers. His travels had brought him to a village he called Chalahume and the Cherokee called Chilhowee. This is about 12 miles upstream on the Little Tn River from Bussel Island. Pardo traveld downstream two leagues-five miles- to Citico. There he observed a Cherokee wearing Spanish armour. The Indian told him he was from Coste where the villages suffered atrocities under Desoto. Fearing what might come next, he fled toward Alabama. The Cherokee chased them and caught up near Muscle Shoals and a fierce battle took place there. This research clears the air about Spanish explorers in the eastern states and also about the abundance of gold and silver in the area. James Addair, an Irish explorer, traveled into Cherokee lands in the late 1700's and his memoirs document an abundance of gold and silver among the Cherokee also. By the way, I have done quiet well on Coker Creek also and some of the nearby feeder streams. Once saw a nugget from an old-timer who was watching me dredge and the darn thing wouldn't go into a pill bottle. Not bad for a state that most people don't even know gold exists huh. Hope you like the info.

OP
OP
T

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Austin, If you can, check out my post to tnmountains about Desoto and Juan Pardo in east Tn. Thanks

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hey Rebel, You're dead right. Sequoyah was a master blacksmith and used a lot of copper. This seems to be the first metal that was used by many tribes.

ALL of 'em, from my research; BIG Copper "vein" was found on an island in the Great Lakes, somewhere...

OP
OP
T

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains- The cave is supposed to be " on the divide between the Elk and Duck rivers"

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Tnmountains- The cave is supposed to be " on the divide between the Elk and Duck rivers"
There is a creek that goes up to the mountain, from Elk River... follow it up to a MOUNTAIN creek that crosses it; look around, especially on the "bluffs". VERY small entrance that opens up to HUGE grottoes (several). HH! BE CAREFUL & GOOD LUCK!

mdavis3238

Greenie
Nov 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cave

Yes I have hunted Elk River in Coffee county over by Pelham. I have also hunted the mountain it backs up to which is Monteagle below Suwanne. Hunted rock shelters up there and south to Carter Mtn. Tons of caves and over hangs. Cave belt of the south. There are also rumors of some areas near there producing gold. I do not know if it is where the Elk starts. We do plan on testing some creeks on the other side of the mountain this summer. I have heard of several legends in this area about Cherokee Gold. One specifically near Nick-a jack cave. We hunt Rocky Face (not really a mtn but a ridge) and Buzzards Roost for civil war relics in Ga.
Desoto was here on Williams Island on the Tn River. I think his route can be closely traced.Not hunted Dahlonega but been there. Have friends who do well on Coker creek.

gives a clue,, Steep mountain, facing elk valley, the valley and elk river only goes few miles. and the spring cascaded down the mtn side to elk river. so has to be within that area,, the cave spring probably dried up,,could have even fell in a few ft,, have you ever rented the void detector.. kinda like a metal detector but this on finds voids where caves are. Ive even seen few houses and road now. looks like easy to get too..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know that area pretty good.It's all deep limestone. A friend of mines Dad recovered a spanish helmet across from Williams Island in a deep pit ,we used to rappel the pit and I have pictures of it.It was not far from The village of Citico you mentioned. I have artifacts from there. I did not think back then to look for artifacts but they say the bottom of the pit was full when dug out. Then it was just ferns and moss. Will be testing for some color near Elk before to long. So many caves in that area. Cant stop digging civil war…

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've posted this before looking for suggestions and have yet to find an answer. I live in Middle TN. The mud mound and the symbols etched upon it are located in a small cave just off the Duck River. Any ideas????

Attachments

• Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Closeup 2.JPG
    Closeup 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,636
  • Symbols H L R.JPG
    Symbols H L R.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,685
  • S6302839.JPG
    S6302839.JPG