Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: cave of gold above elk river tn

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2013
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by two bear View Post
    Hey mdog, I have not seen the symbol of the cross. Locals have found it and it was supposed to be a copy of a Spanish cross the Cherokee saw on the Spanish saddlebags or something. The farmer is dead of course but many locals have looked for the cave. This story seems to have a hard place to start researching. Some locals may know of the location of the farm, but one would think they might not be so open to disclosing the location of the cross carved into the rock. The rock with the cross carved into it was as the bottom of a spring coming from the mountain above. Some have followed nearby streams up the mountain but have not found the cave entrance. Of course the original stream may be dry now.
    Use google maps and switch off layers until you have just terrain, follow creek channels.. Easy as pie

us
    Dec 2013
    Smoky Mtns of east Tn
    Whites metal detectors
    13 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sounds like a weekend in the mountains. What have I got to loose. Thanks, and good luck to you. Merry Christmas.

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    LOL! "STATES"...? ROFL! There WERE no states "back then"... only Cherokee "land" owned by GREAT SPIRIT.

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by two bear View Post
    Hey Rebel KGC,
    It's nice to hear from someone who shares a belief in the story. I've heard of the Waterhouse Treasure for years and believe its still out there.
    It is...
    two bear likes this.

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    Via "Post" # 11; COPPER was MORE important to FIRST NATIONS...
    two bear likes this.

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    Via "post" # 13; That is the WATERHOUSE TREASURE on North Face Mountain, in Northern Ga. Cherokee DID kill 'em & "take over"; equipment & all. Left Nunnehi Tribe of Cherokee Nation "behind" to guard the mountain...
    two bear likes this.

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    Via "Post" # 15; in the area where two "curving" streams "cross"; hence the CURVED CROSS.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    2407 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    Umm I'm not too bright, but I don't remember a "lot" of gold being found anywhere in the eastern US.
    Never heard of Dahlonega Ga. huh? It's ok, there's many places in our country, I am not aware of either.
    They say, only 20% of the gold lode, was mined out of Dahlonega......

Rebel, I'm not good with symbols and signs, but I thought the map legend for a curved cross, indicated a waterfall.
    Are you doing RV to glean this info?
    The op brings up a very interesting story. I would also check in to the fellow that hired the Indian man. That Indian man went to that locale, I'm sure, for a reason.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    RV...? LOL! NAW... GUESS! NOT to be MYSTERIOUS... the OP "legend" is VERY similar to the WATERHOUSE TREASURE "legend" in NORTHERN Ga. I have a book on "Indian" symbols, and they used LOTS of Spanish symbols, so Spanish ppl could be blamed for "bad" stuff... LATER!
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Dec 17, 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    AND! Cherokee land before "white Man" was as far NORTH as Ohio, where their "bitter enemy" the Shawnee Nation was; WEST to Illinois where COHOKIA was. BUT! MAIN capital for Cherokee Nation was in today's Georgia, where NEW ECHOTA was; now you "see" why Rocky Face Mountain in Ga. was VERY important to Cherokee Nation. Yes, there are Cherokee "mines" in Eastern Tenn, Western Mountains of NC, and SW Virginia; "legends" are mixed with Melungeon Mines "legends". HH! GOOD LUCK! Waterhouse Treasure is the "MATRIX".
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Dec 17, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    two bear likes this.

ECS
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    307 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC View Post
    ... US Gov't had to have a US MINT (Dahlonega) near-by to "process" it all...
    During the War of Northern Aggression,the Confederate government seized the US mint at Dahlonega,as as well as the US mint in New Orleans.Feb 1862,CSA Sec of Treasury,Christopher G Memminger reopened Dahlonega as the CSA ASSAY Office,and appointed Lewis Quillian as assayer.
    Assistant CSA treasurer,Anthony Guirot,had the remaining gold and silver from the New Orleans mint shipped to Dahlonega for assaying and casting into bars.Quillian recieved the shipment of 900 oz of gold and 17,000 oz of silver June 1862,which he assayed and cast into bars.
    Quillian crated the bars and on Oct 1,1862,loaded them onto a wagon for shipment to Thomas Metcalf Confederate Depository Bank in Augusta.The shipment NEVER ARRIVED! Valued at $38,500.00 in 1862,Memminger considered it a major loss for the Confederate treasury.

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS View Post
    During the War of Northern Aggression,the Confederate government seized the US mint at Dahlonega,as as well as the US mint in New Orleans.Feb 1862,CSA Sec of Treasury,Christopher G Memminger reopened Dahlonega as the CSA ASSAY Office,and appointed Lewis Quillian as assayer.
    Assistant CSA treasurer,Anthony Guirot,had the remaining gold and silver from the New Orleans mint shipped to Dahlonega for assaying and casting into bars.Quillian recieved the shipment of 900 oz of gold and 17,000 oz of silver June 1862,which he assayed and cast into bars.
    Quillian crated the bars and on Oct 1,1862,loaded them onto a wagon for shipment to Thomas Metcalf Confederate Depository Bank in Augusta.The shipment NEVER ARRIVED! Valued at $38,500.00 in 1862,Memminger considered it a major loss for the Confederate treasury.
    LAWD GAWD A'mighty!

Jun 2007
    1284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pat-tekker-cat View Post
    Never heard of Dahlonega Ga. huh? It's ok, there's many places in our country, I am not aware of either.
    They say, only 20% of the gold lode, was mined out of Dahlonega......

Rebel, I'm not good with symbols and signs, but I thought the map legend for a curved cross, indicated a waterfall.
    Are you doing RV to glean this info?
    The op brings up a very interesting story. I would also check in to the fellow that hired the Indian man. That Indian man went to that locale, I'm sure, for a reason.
    LOL! "Curved Cross" sounds like the movie, DRAGONFLY (LOVED IT!), in which kids in the hospital saw spirits and drew curved cross (dragonfly/waterfall); birth-mark of male doc's baby saved by native tribe (his wife, also a doc died in an accident, etc...); NO "spoiler-alert" here! HA!

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    3408 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yes I have hunted Elk River in Coffee county over by Pelham. I have also hunted the mountain it backs up to which is Monteagle below Suwanne. Hunted rock shelters up there and south to Carter Mtn. Tons of caves and over hangs. Cave belt of the south. There are also rumors of some areas near there producing gold. I do not know if it is where the Elk starts. We do plan on testing some creeks on the other side of the mountain this summer. I have heard of several legends in this area about Cherokee Gold. One specifically near Nick-a jack cave. We hunt Rocky Face (not really a mtn but a ridge) and Buzzards Roost for civil war relics in Ga.
    Desoto was here on Williams Island on the Tn River. I think his route can be closely traced.Not hunted Dahlonega but been there. Have friends who do well on Coker creek.
    Last edited by Tnmountains; Dec 17, 2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: sp.
    two bear and TNglen like this.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    3408 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I can't remember if these beads were dug in Ga or Tn. I will have to ask again.
    HH
    TnMtns

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1418.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	592.0 KB 
ID:	914544
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors