need some help

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
looking for historical proof of Spanish being in the southern California desert areas, mainly proof of how far into California they went, what type animals did they use for travel, and what did there clothing look like what was it made of ?

Where they mining ? and what type tools did they use ?

Thanks for the help.
GT..................

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
gold tramp:

Either at the library or on the Internet find the Histories of Hubert Bancroft. California, Arizona and New Mexico, possibly Texas, Northern Mexico. They are huge multi-volume 19th works. His researchers used many original Spanish documents and he thoroughly covers the period.

Also - take a look at Bolton's book on Coronado - a classic. There are the expedition journals, as well. For example, de Vaca's narrative is a classic, as is Castenada's. The problem, of course, is that the original sources don't place events in a modern geographical context. For that reason, secondary sources (again, such as Bolton's) will probably be of more help to you.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Also: Bolton's Spanish Exploration in the Southwest, 1542-1706 (1908; 1916). There is a recent Lakeside Classics edition of Coronado's Expedition journal - English on one page and Spanish on the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bookaroo,
this gives me a reason worthy of making a town trip, a visit to the library.
sounds like the stuff I may be looking for. I just want to make sure in my adventures I don't miss anything.
GT..................

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
gold tramp:

You are, of course, quite welcome!

Bancroft's books were published in the 19th Century. They are out of copyright and available on the Internet.

Prof. Bolton's books are out- and still in-copyright. Chances are they will be available via Interlibrary Loan.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions