central coast california treasure legends

3sell

Mar 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and one more thing haha, has anyone ever heard of the old little town that in the mountains behind Santa Barbara and the river? There is a old 1800's school house, cemetary, and old little abandoned homes. My dad use to work for the forest service and had keys to all of the back county in Los Padre forest and he would go packing and he's shown me pictures of this place and now I want to go metal detecting!! He said there is so many old stories from back there and old things just laying around. He told me about this HUGE cave that had indian things all in when he was in the boy scouts but he can't remember where, we tried to find it. There is suppose to be hidden gold mines back there that Mission Santa Barbara ran and hid it after they killed all the indian slaves because they thought they would show people the mines. My dad says those were the rumors in the forest service and he actually thinks the lost "Los Padre's mine" in actually in our back country because so many slaves were killed to hide it and our mission has a lot of gold.

OP
OP
dannyg

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3sell check historicaerials.com and maybe some names will pop up and you can research more after that.

3sell

Mar 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone heard of the Lost Arch Mine near Needles CA? Its suppose to be one of the richest in So Cal.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better ask Oro about that one ... ;-) Alternatively - search for it on this forum (at least I believe it is this - might have been DUSA or 'thelostdutchmangoldmine' ...)
Oro gave quite a bit of info on it - as far as I can remember.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Ia Orana Danyg and Loke You may be surprised how many PMs I have had regarding those spare bunks. For me personally I am always amazed at the obsessive interest by many people on treasurenet with the very famous treasure legends. While the less well known and obscure stories hardly get a second glance? Information of treasure legends can be gleaned from various sources. Once such source is Newspapers. However like all Newspaper sources they are as only good as the quality of the newspaper reporter writing them. Stories can be written about places and event in another countries as information can travel through various channels. The Following story was reported in the Adelaide Register Australia Friday 30 April 1926. It pertains to story of hidden gold coins buried near Marysville and Yuba City in California. There is more than 4,000 dollars in gold coin buried in the vicinity of Marysville and Yuba City, that gold. being in; United States coin and having been buried for nearly three-quarters of a century, according to J. A. Brickey, of Macona, Texas. View attachment 927032 Sheriff Charles J. McCoy has received a letter from 'Brickney in connection with the gold and its possible recovery. Brickney declares that his stepfather went to California in the' early 1850s, sold a herd of cattle he had driven across the plains from his home in Fort Smith, Arkansas, buried the money because of fear- of Indians and early day bandits, and then returned to his home. He never went back to California. And he told Brickney of the buried treasure just before he died. . . ; The Sheriff's Responded The Texan appears to be certain that the 'money, all in 20 dollar gold, pieces, is still in the spot where his stepfather buried' it. His letter carried an assurance that it has not been moved. The- exact, sum, he says, is 4,300 dollars. He states that he is going to California to make his -home and 'asks ' Sheriff Mc Coy, what percentage he will ask to dig up the buried treasure.? McCoy- stated that if Brickney can tell him within a few feet of where the money is he will have it dug up and turned over to the Texan without cost. There have been numerous tales handed down by old-timers in this section of buried treasure, and at different times there have been rather aimless efforts to dig it up. Some of the very old residents believe that the Brickney gold is here, and is one of the buried treasures which caused the stories to be handed down. Was there any truth to such a story or is there more to the story? Perhaps, but like with all treasure legends there is an old Army saying time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted in treasure hunting time spent in research is seldom wasted. And this was a story that warranted a little further digging.' View attachment 927031 To be continued. Crow
Isn't California coast a little out of the way for an Arkansas cattleman?

That story is ridiculous......I mean , If you were selling your Arkansas cattle in 1850 would you have chosen to drive them through the New Mexico badlands or over the Donner pass, (LOL, and another 900 miles) as opposed to simply just taking them to Chicago or New York like everyone else?​

3sell

Mar 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be a stupid question but whose Oro? And I've looked on this site and haven't found to much on it but the history is fact. As lost as this mine seems to be it seems to be one of the more easier ones to possibly find.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
This might be a stupid question but whose Oro? And I've looked on this site and haven't found to much on it but the history is fact. As lost as this mine seems to be it seems to be one of the more easier ones to possibly find.

Hola amigo, I am Oro, as in Oroblanco.

There is not a lot online about the Lost Arch; the Geo Zone has a good article and info at:

The Lost Arch Mine

Another article

Treasure Trove Dreams: Bonanza in the Mojave: California's Lost Arch Mine

and this one, scroll down about half way to find this article:

Treasure Tales - PoorBoy's Prospecting

another, scroll down to read:

Gold, Mining and Prospecting: The Lost Arch Gold Diggings

An older discussion here on T-net

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-mines-desert-part-ii-lost-arch-diggings.html

Lost Treasure mag has an article in archive, have to pay to read it:

Have We Found The Lost Arch Mine? | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine

There is even a Facebook page on it:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151463377194608.1073741834.156875249607&type=3

There are problems with some of the details you will find in some versions, like the giant saguaro cactus supposedly visible in front of the mine, as I have not seen any saguaros anywhere near there; and some versions have it as a man-made arch connecting a two-room adobe cabin, other versions have it as a natural rock arch and a rock two room cabin. They have made a Wilderness Area covering part of the area where the mine is supposed to be, so there are more restrictions to deal with and you cannot file a claim (legally) on the mine if it is within the Wilderness Area boundaries.

I hope this helps, good luck and good hunting amigo I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello El Pardon

I am Sorry as I do not think Crow will answer your question. He's either on his yacht or at his beach house at his Island in the coral sea, womanizing or gambling.

But comment if I may... You make an excellent point. But in the 1850's gold rush there would of been a much greater profit to sell at over inflated prices directly to the miners around Marysville than to heard cattle to Chicago which of course is more practical. Prices could have been 3 times as much per head of cattle in Marysville than Chicago? All depending on the laws of supply and demand?

Of course the story could of all been a crude attempt at Spanish swindle as crow mentioned? But if it was who in their right mind would attempt to con a sheriff? Like with all these newspaper stories sorting the facts from the fiction can be quite challenging. One thing for sure that the people mentioned did exist and regards to the alleged treasure well that is always open speculation. That is why these treasure legends are so interesting.

Amy

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Isn't California coast a little out of the way for an Arkansas cattleman?

That story is ridiculous......I mean , If you were selling your Arkansas cattle in 1850 would you have chosen to drive them through the New Mexico badlands or over the Donner pass, (LOL, and another 900 miles) as opposed to simply just taking them to Chicago or New York like everyone else?​

No, you wouldn't. You would drive your cattle to the highest profit market you could, and for some time that was the California gold fields, where the prospectors and miners were being charged sky-high prices for fresh beef, eggs and other eatables. I am not saying this from a personal opinion, read the encyclopedia of Arkansas history:
Cattle Drives - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

An extract, quote
Alexander Fancher drove 400 head of cattle to California in 1854 to a ranch he and his brother had established on an earlier trip.

It is a mistake to use our modern reasoning for people whom lived a century ago, it was a different time, communications were far less advanced, and people whom were willing to take big chances, could and did sometimes win big profits or property etc. Some of them were wiped out financially, even more than once, or even lost their lives in their endeavors, but some made out like bandits. Today we have become almost totally risk-averse, not willing to risk anything unless it is practically a "sure thing" much less do something that is HARD and dangerous but could pay off big. Driving a large herd of half-wild cattle across a continent, with no bridges and very little possible help along the way, not to mention plenty of dangers from wildlife to hostile Indians, might sound insane to us today but for those people it was helping to build a nation. They were a different breed of men in the 19th century.

Oroblanco

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H8i 3 cell, coffee

Oro is a dakototite. a sheep luvin renegade that was run out of ''Arizona for potential rustleing.
he is also the potential co-author fo the discovery of Tayopa and the Jesuit attempt to take over North America from '
'Spain.

However he speaks with a forked tongue on his relationship with the sheep, but he does make good coffee due to his uique method'

'''Don Jose de la Mancha

''

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro. it is common Mexican technique to build two structures a short distance apart then to span the two with a roof thus creating a three roomed structure - a store room, a living room, and in the open space a kitchen

I have spent many a night drinking coffee and spinning tales in such an open room which allowed an open fire for warmth in the back country while my mule quietly chomped away in a nearby corral - an excelllent,, very agreeable way to gather information.;

don Jose de la anca

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
H8i 3 cell, coffee

Oro is a dakototite. a sheep luvin renegade that was run out of ''Arizona for potential rustleing.
he is also the potential co-author fo the discovery of Tayopa and the Jesuit attempt to take over North America from '
'Spain.

However he speaks with a forked tongue on his relationship with the sheep, but he does make good coffee due to his uique method'

'''Don Jose de la Mancha

''

I guess that you and I are both ANIMAL LOVERS then amigo, considering your attraction to purty mules! :tongue3:

Most folks in Dakota are usually called Dakotans, which BTW means "friendly" or "allies".

BTW amigo, I see you are trying to wheedle your way out of writing that book on Tayopa - no more attempts to shift that responsibility. I would think that by now, even someone as hard-headed as you could realize that only you can do it!

OP
OP
dannyg

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys so im headed out to la panza this weekend for some prospecting. I'm not sure how claims are marked and I dont wanna get in trouble. any help here with that would be great. or anyone wanting to meet up for some sampling and prospecting get back to me in a private message.
thanks all, Danny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread