Newbie with questions about spanish symbols

bobbo_b

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all Im a newbie but long time lurker great info on this site.

My father and I were out hunting in a really remote area and found this cave entrance hidden away near the bottom of an canyon. There were what looked like to be spanish marking on the cave wall above us. It was three crosses the one in the middle being the highest under that was two bear paws with small crosses inside them and under the bear paws were two baby feet. At the bottom of all this is a large v or arrow pointing down. Any suggestions or insite would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way these carvings were deep into the stone they were no surface scratches. They look like they were chisled. Thanks.
Bobbo

We found out that we were on private land and thus there illegally. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobbo_b

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys sorry I was having a hell of a time logging in. I have no pictures because we had no camera at the time. Were planning a trip back in the next month or two. I will definitely snap as many pictures as possible. As far as any one helping decipher the meaning any takers?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what area you are in, so none of this is 100%, BUT................

The three crosses typically stand for Calvary Mount (or Golgotha). The place where Christ was crucified. The center cross was Christ, while the other two were ordinary criminals. It is used mostly with Death Traps (so be very careful). It is a sign used to show the correct course/trail/tunnel/etc. If there are three paths, you should take the one in the center (follow the way of Christ).

I would have to see a picture to try the rest, and know what part of the country it is in.

Best - Mike

OP
OP
B

bobbo_b

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gollum! Located in the Southwest.

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Thanks gollum! Located in the Southwest.

You will find the three-cross carving all over the Southwest, as Hispanic Catholics used it extensively everywhere they went - and still do. Explorers, settlers, miners, hunters, gatherers, hikers, etc. I remember during a search and rescue mission about ten years ago, one of my team members carved one deep into some soft volcanic tuff where we took a lunch break. I'll bet another human will never see it - it was in a place not even a hunter would venture.

I'm more interested in the 'baby feet'.

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all Im a newbie but long time lurker great info on this site.

My father and I were out hunting in a really remote area and found this cave entrance hidden away near the bottom of an canyon. There were what looked like to be spanish marking on the cave wall above us. It was three crosses the one in the middle being the highest under that was two bear paws with small crosses inside them and under the bear paws were two baby feet. At the bottom of all this is a large v or arrow pointing down. Any suggestions or insite would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way these carvings were deep into the stone they were no surface scratches. They look like they were chisled. Thanks.
Bobbo

We found out that we were on private land and thus there illegally. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Get permission to hunt.

Bear Paws = Good Omen
3 Crosses = Church Treasure it also depends on what the crosses looked like.
Baby feet like human feet or baby bear paws?
V= Jesuit

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread