Padres Lost Silver Bars

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only fly in the ointment so to speak is... The whole treasure legend is based on the claims of One man?

Chavez had a son... Why wasn't his son interested in finding the treasure? He is recorded living with his Son in 1900 and by 1902 he claimed he had no family? I do not see any point of him trying to conduct some sort of Spanish swindle while dying. So Chavez must of believed that what he had was real? however who was this alleged professor that translated the alleged document?

There are many tantalizing questions to solve.

The church records may be of interest?

Corp

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to look into the "Catholic Library" mentioned in one of the accounts. If anyone knows anything about a Catholic Historical library in Albuquerque, please let me know and I will go check it out.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unc Mat, Corp:': Not ever son wants to follow his paters footsteps, especially in such a nebulous thing as treasure hunting. They have been indoctrinated into the 'former job security thing'- 20 years with a co then retire - his standard answer is "show me where I can get instantaneous equivalent of my standard 40 hr week, and guaranteed retirement funding and I might be interested."

Security foremost. Snifff.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
It was in 1888, that George McCormick entered the picture.

George began operating six freight wagons with trailers, hauling from the river landings of Aubrey and Parker. (The latter settlement was named for Captain D. Parker, who lived there with the Indians.) McCormick handled freight to many of the mines, to Prescott, Wickenburg, and Phoenix.

Vance Seymour, Superintendent for the Planet Mine engaged McCormick for hauling mining machinery from Aubrey to the Planet. McCormick became well familiar with Central Arizona. Vance later perished in an area of dunes during a deadly sandstorm after locating a rich gold vein in white quartz. His empty six-gun holster was stuffed with the beautiful gold ore. His unknown strike became known as the Lost Six-shooter Mine.

George became interested the story of the Lost Six-shooter Mine, and other stories of lost gold and silver. As well as searching for the Lost Padre Silver Bars, George and his Son, Melvin, actively pursued attempts to locate the Lost Six-shooter for the rest of their lives.
In 1972, Melvin and his wife Hilda, drove back to the area where Vance Seymour was found in one last attempt to find the source of the gold vein.

Attachments

• PadreSilver003.bmp
    265.3 KB · Views: 155

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More tantalizing clues: Today I spoke with a friend of mine who is an official with the Pueblo of Acoma. I talked with him about this tale, and he had something to add to it. Around 20 years ago he recalls hearing of a couple of men who supposedly found something very valuable buried in the narrows near the area we are discussing. The story goes that the men were caught by the Pueblo Police, and the whole thing was hushed up. The men were sent packing with empty hands, and the treasure was reburied. The story was only shared with a few high ranking Pueblo officials, and was forgotten for the most part. He didn't remember it until I told him about this tale today. He is going to speak to some more people in the Pueblo and see if he can uncover any more information. He also gave me a possible lead on the archive where this story was found. He thinks it might be held a the Church of the Little Sisters here in Albuquerque.

Now how much progress has anyone else made on this? lol

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I get the feeling some of these threads are nothing more than fishing expeditions so people can find out things they don't already know. lol

OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
I have always thought that this story was more than just a made-up campfire tale. Is it possible that the story was constructed out of the finding of one 64 pound silver ingot? It is possible, but not likely. I just figured it was a good story that should be retold for those that are interested.

I hear what you are saying Matt. I am not fishing. I may never visit Arizona during the rest of my life, and I have no plans to personally take up the hunt. For me, this research is more an exercise of the brain. I don't know if the postings on TreasureNet have ever helped anyone in their search for lost mines or buried treasure, but is a fascinating hobby. There are those people that obsess over a search who ruin their health, finances, family, friends, etc.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I have to come clean: I have gone fishing here at T-net myself with some well baited threads.

I think this story may have some legs as well, my ultimate goal would be to locate the original source that the researchers found in the Catholic Archives in 1906 here in Albuquerque. I am also going to go snake hunting. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
The original map vellum and a copy were kept in a metal box. When the nurse, doctor, and professor gave up the search, they gave the box with the maps to George McCormick. When George died, his son Melvin looked for the box with the maps. He was unable to find it among his Dad's belongings. He was quoted as saying that George used to keep the box buried. George lived at more than one house before he died, and the place where the box may have been buried is unknown.

Things that were on the original vellum that are not on the copy posted:
1. Near a cross is written: "96 bars of silver buried in black sand"
2. Between the ledge and the mountain was written: "6 leagues from mountain with red spot to burial"

The large symbols/letters on the map appear to be obvious in their meaning, but maybe not. George thought that the top of the map faced North. Others have thought that the large "S" on the left meant South. Some have thought the letters were abreviation for St. Francis of Santa Fe. Is the large symbol on the mountain with the red spot a Spanish "E"?

And the mushroom shaped object above the ledge: Is it a tree? Is it a monument at the burial site?

I believe the top of the map faces West. The flat hill on the left is probably Sunset Crater. It is also worth noting that the mountain with the red spot is depicted as one peak. Viewed from the East where the red spot is visible, the mountain has two tops. Was this a mapmaker error, or the thing that made some believe the view was looking North?

The Flagstaff census records do show a Jack Diamond. He is listed as a Boarder, with a birth date of 1888. He was apparently living with the H. Emlach family. This may be the person that discovered the Sheepherder's iron was silver.

OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Matt says, " my ultimate goal would be to locate the original source that the researchers found in the Catholic Archives in 1906 here in Albuquerque. I am also going to go snake hunting.'

First of all, the original source for this story was a vellum page in possession of Jose Chavez who died in a charity ward in Kansas City, MO in 1902. The page was folded in such a manner that it looked liked it had been removed from a journal. Finding the rest of the journal may be difficult or impossible.

Good luck!

OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Sorry, I added the link without being clear about the reason. The story in the link above is from a different source, and it confirms that other Spanish mule trains were using that same trail west during the same period. Documentation about these mule caravans may help to understand where the silver was coming from, and where it was going.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha! But I do appreciate you posting it for other reasons. I plan on finding the snake mark on the rock overhang, and seeing if that goes anywhere.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All greetings from Samoa.

Some really interesting stuff here. By far the most interesting and refreshing seeing the comments being posted on this thread, in fact in this Form. well done!:thumbsup:

Crow

OP
OP
L

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
"If you're interested in a short scenic walk in desert volcano country, with a great view of the painted desert and the San Francisco Peaks at trail's end, you'll want to check out the Doney Trail. This half mile hike begins at the Doney Picnic Area and climbs gradually up the side of a volcanic cinder cone to a panoramic overlook. Interpretive signs posted along the way tell you about the unique ecology of this rugged area and about the adventures of Ben Doney who prospected these hills for gold. You'll even see one of Doney's old digs along the way. Also along the trail you'll see two prehistoric ruins with signs interpreting their role in the local community and how they related to prehistoric farming practices."

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110304&ttype=recarea&recid=55086&actid=104&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=null&cid=FSE_003741&pname=Flagstaff%20RD%20-%20Doney%20Trail%20#39

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread