Jesse James Treasures: Do They Likely Still Exist?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Was JJ a "Robin Hood" (ROBBING HOOD) & Gangs helping "poor", white citizens in various ways (MOSTLY $$$$$$) in return for "kindness given to the outlaws...? Stories abound!
John Newman Edwards was CSA Gen Joseph O Shelby's adjutant in the "Iron Brigade" during the War, and new the James and Younger brothers from that time.
After the War he began the KANSAS CITY TIMES newspaper in response to the Republican military control of Missouri during Reconstruction, and wrote many articles about and even interviews with the James brothers detailing their continued fight against the Union oppression in Missouri detailing their "heroic" efforts to help the defeated oppressed, creating the "robin Hood" legend.
Joe Shelby, testified on behalf of Frank James at one of James's court trials. in which he was found innocent.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I will always consider the 24th Michigan to be the Civil War's "Iron Brigade."

24th Michigan.jpg

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Rebel-KGC:

Those stories revolve around many outlaws and criminals - down to the Great Depression bank robbers. Little of it is probably fact. The hatred of the institutions - railroad companies, banks, and others - drove people to want to believe it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will always consider the 24th Michigan to be the Civil War's "Iron Brigade."

View attachment 1400856

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

f the 24th Michigan was like the 4th Michigan of Colonel Pritchard that stole the capture of President Jefferson Davis from the real Iron Brigade of the First Wisconsin and Colonel Harden then you could be wrong.

And yes ECS General Shelby's Army was the "Iron Brigade"

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I am a bit under the weather and not thinking clearly today. My apologies. Obviously the 24th Michigan was a regiment and not a the "Iron Hat" Brigade.

The Civil War "Iron Brigade" was made up of the "2nd Wisconsin, 6th Wisconsin, 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan, and Battery B - 4th US Art."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
f the 24th Michigan was like the 4th Michigan of Colonel Pritchard that stole the capture of President Jefferson Davis from the real Iron Brigade of the First Wisconsin and Colonel Harden then you could be wrong.

And yes ECS General Shelby's Army was the "Iron Brigade"
...and CSA Gen Joe Shelby and his IRON BRIGADE did not surrender, and when crossing the Rio Grande to offer his commands services to Maximillion of Mexico, Shelby buried the STARS AND BARS on the banks of the river.
Shelby was also a member of the KGC.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That he WAS! The IRON Brigade was composed of KGC fighters of the 1st Degree, aka IRON HAND... From TEXAS!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Gen. Shelby, CSA & Confederate Knights later helped Max $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by appealing to JJ & Gang for assistance.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
THIS is INTERESTING! MAX's GOLD! West Texas, Castle Gap near Horse-head Crossing, JJ & his Gang; "google" Maximillion's Millions - All Things Adventure. About Maximilian's GOLD in West Texas...

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maxi's gold is not in West Texas. JJ and the KGC moved it. I have been waiting for a recovery so I can get out there and recover Maxi's gold. I have the directions.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HH! Good Luck! My "sources" indicated West TX, at Castle Gap, which has legends of OTHER Treasures.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
When the Civil War ended, Gen. Early had no troops under his command. Relieved of duty he was not part of the Army of Northern Virginia and Gen. Lee's surrender at Appomattox.

While it is true he didn't sign a parole, to claim he didn't "surrender" is odd. Gen. Early had no more to "surrender" than any other soldier in the CSA who was not in command of an army such as Gen. Johnston or an independent unit like Forrest.

I highly recommend Jay Winik's excellent book April 1865; The Month That Saved America. It is first-rate.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Anyone interested in the facts regarding Maximilian's "treasure" should read the excellent Castle Gap and the Pecos Frontier by Patrick Dearen. He also wrote at least one other book on lost treasure in Texas, and it stands out because it has original information as well as excellent research.

The legend of Maximilian I's gold is well told in J. Frank Dobie's Coronado's Children.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
[h=1][/h]

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone interested in the facts regarding Maximilian's "treasure" should read the excellent Castle Gap and the Pecos Frontier by Patrick Dearen. He also wrote at least one other book on lost treasure in Texas, and it stands out because it has original information as well as excellent research.

The legend of Maximilian I's gold is well told in J. Frank Dobie's Coronado's Children.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
[h=1][/h]

Maximillan's gold was brought out of Mexico by Jesse James and the KGC. Also Maximillan was brought out later and Jesse James went to Europe and brought Maximillan's wife to him in Texas. Why do you think the trunk belonging to Maximillan's wife was found in Victorio Peaks by Doc Noss. His wife took Carlotta's crown down to the local butcher store to weigh it. History is always written different than the way it happened and it always will be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread