Jesse James Treasures: Do They Likely Still Exist?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How come photos of the trunk had Maximillan's wife's name on it. Also her crown that she wore.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I don't believe Doc's story about finding a cave with Wells, Fargo chests, gold bars, jewels, gold and silver coins, Spanish armor (such as a sword from a different era), or a steamer truck with Maximilian's underwear.

I think Doc was a con man and the story was a fraud to raise money.

Look up the history of "Padre La Rue." Another hoax.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't believe Doc's story about finding a cave with Wells, Fargo chests, gold bars, jewels, gold and silver coins, Spanish armor (such as a sword from a different era), or a steamer truck with Maximilian's underwear.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Noss was a lifelong petty criminal, violent offender and con artist who exploited and/or cheated nearly everyone he ever dealt with - friend, family or stranger. His luck ran out with Charlie Ryan.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I took another look at the Doc Noss sword. There's a photo or two right here on TN. I am certainly not an expert, but I'm going with second half of the 19th Century Italian - possibly for the cavalry. The armor looks older - possibly Italian, as well.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeesh, I make a funny crack about looking for the loot here in Alberta, and I stumbled upon this today. I grew up in that area, only an hour from where I live now.
Rebel, can you confirm or deny this "Long Hair Jim"?

AAFY000100e2.jpg

AAFY000100dd.jpg

There is small lake there named after him, have swam there when I was a kid, was just there last spring looking for arrowheads with a buddy.

What is even crazier, is that a very rich German Family has owned most of the Lake and surroundings for the last 50-60 years. They are now putting it up for sale for just about ten million. here is the link:

http://sothebysrealty.ca/en/property/alberta/central-real-estate/rural-lacombe-county/154647/

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it weren't fer tales of old timers, by old timers,
then what treasure legends would we even have...

The ones perpetuated by the deluded, the novelists trying to sell books, and people trying to sell worthless real estate?? Attention seekers?

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Jeesh, I make a funny crack about looking for the loot here in Alberta, and I stumbled upon this today. I grew up in that area, only an hour from where I live now.
Rebel, can you confirm or deny this "Long Hair Jim"?

View attachment 1406665

View attachment 1406667

There is small lake there named after him, have swam there when I was a kid, was just there last spring looking for arrowheads with a buddy.

What is even crazier, is that a very rich German Family has owned most of the Lake and surroundings for the last 50-60 years. They are now putting it up for sale for just about ten million. here is the link:

Rural Lacombe County, Alberta | Sotheby's International Realty Canada
COULD BE... James Gadsby Articles

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

You can believe what you want about Doc Noss. I have the assay report on one of the gold bars. Not too many con men have their own real gold bars.

Love those news articles. I would look for those stories in depth and check them all for treasure. A lot of the men that rode with JJ and gang were from my area and from counties adjoining in North Carolina, Anson County and others. Frank James and family stayed in Lynchburg, Va the winter of 1883. They were still there when his wife showed him a New York Newspaper about Jesse his brother being shot and killed.

The Dalton Gang and some of it's members were from the Danville, Va. area.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You can believe what you want about Doc Noss. I have the assay report on one of the gold bars. Not too many con men have their own real gold bars.

Love those news articles. I would look for those stories in depth and check them all for treasure. A lot of the men that rode with JJ and gang were from my area and from counties adjoining in North Carolina, Anson County and others. Frank James and family stayed in Lynchburg, Va the winter of 1883. They were still there when his wife showed him a New York Newspaper about Jesse his brother being shot and killed.

The Dalton Gang and some of it's members were from the Danville, Va. area.

The metal bars assayed by Noss (approximately 40 pounds) contained about 80% copper, a couple ounces of gold, some silver and the rest base metals and/or dross. The original assay sheets were provided by the Noss family and reproduced in book one of the Gold House trilogy. Noss tried to peddle a number of these copper bars to unsuspecting suckers who thought they were gold. It's my contention that the bars were copper ingots from Santa Rita del Cobre that were originally destined to be shipped to the coinage mint in Chihuahua in the early 1800s.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Draw play option. Used to offer good clues on this thread,
'till It wasn't much fun with goin's on, so now it just depends...8-)

Bushwacked on all sides, makes an outlaw's great grandson, bit hesitant...:laughing7:

Still look in ta' check out thoughts an' stories, so y'all carry on...:thumbsup:

Last edited by Crosse De Sign; Today at 08:43 PM.

For Posterity. :wink: :laughing7:

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rebel, I will stay on this for awhile. Will look into this next week, I coach two hockey teams, so my weekends are shot, and I hardly get to be on TN anymore. I have also found KGC links to when Calgary was founded. Lots of info, but no time to articulate.....hockey...work....hockey......lol. Spring can not come fast enough!!!:weather_sun::weather_sun::weather_sun::weather_sun::hello2:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal bars assayed by Noss (approximately 40 pounds) contained about 80% copper, a couple ounces of gold, some silver and the rest base metals and/or dross. The original assay sheets were provided by the Noss family and reproduced in book one of the Gold House trilogy. Noss tried to peddle a number of these copper bars to unsuspecting suckers who thought they were gold. It's my contention that the bars were copper ingots from Santa Rita del Cobre that were originally destined to be shipped to the coinage mint in Chihuahua in the early 1800s.

Not the true assay report I found on line. The gold bar had 60 percent gold and 40 percent copper and silver and other impurities.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Not the true assay report I found on line. The gold bar had 60 percent gold and 40 percent copper and silver and other impurities.

Please post or link that assay. Not that "on line" is to be necessarily doubted, but it would be good to see and judge the assay.

Here's the 1939 assay for one of the "gold bars" that Noss and his buddy B.D. Lampros were attempting to pass off as genuine (Letha Cantrell was Noss's daughter). As you can see, this sample is 146 tr oz/ton gold (about 0.5%), 87 tr oz silver (about 0.3%), and 71% copper (20,500 tr oz/ton, for comparison). It's terrific ore and valuable bullion for sure - it pretty much matches reports for the earliest rich Spanish recoveries at Santa Rita del Cobre, 50 miles west of the Caballos - but these are copper bars, not gold bars.

noss assay.jpg
Page 131 from The Gold House - The Discovery, ISBN 978-0-9834025-0-3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread