Jesse James Treasures: Do They Likely Still Exist?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a chest of loot from a bank robbery in WVA that is still not accounted for....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I don't remember the details, but apparently they went through Huntington and East to near VA. Supposedly buried near a river. I found that looking at a site about treasure legends over a year ago - can't remember the site. You might Google WVA and the James Gang....

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best bet for a JJ treasure is Lake Elysian in Minnesota - The James gang went up the Northfield Minnesota and in the midst of a bank hold up, the Minnesota boys tore em up pretty good. Killed some, shot some and chased Jesse and Frank to Lake Elysian. They hid on an island in Lake Elysian and were surrounded by morning but managed to escape. Some say the loot was buried there?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, there a few articles on the events of that robbery, not sure how much they stole, if any - I saw the story first in a series about the most reliable lost treasure stories - though that was years ago, and i can't recall the series???? Sorry!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is more likely that they never existed at all except in some imaginations.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
My thoughts on the Jesse James treasure legends: A lot of very smart people have researched this subject tirelessly, for several decades... Maybe there were some treasure sites existing at one time... Possibly Frank missed retrieving more of them... It seems that a lot of well qualified people have searched long and hard, and did well to figure out and decode a lot of the info they had. They reported to have found some items, but not all that they had expected to, plus their 15 min. fame. I'm sure they had a good time....... If there's anything left laying out there in the ground undiscovered, it has yet to be known... Who knows what may, or may not have been found years ago, by Frank James, or whoever, that will never be discussed?... ~: CDS :~

Who KNOWS...? Frank James and family were living in Lynchburg, Va. (as James Warren & family) when his brother, Jesse was "killed" in 1882. Met with some REBELS, who NEVER surrendered, and had something to do with the BEALE TREASURE (1885), which is stated to have been buried in OLD CITY CEMETERY, off of 5th Street... there is even a PLAQUE stating that "BT" is buried in OCC; HUGE CSA section in OCC... :hello2: :coffee2: :tongue3:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
8-):coffee2: Rebel - KGC: Thanks for your input, I really appreciate that, do you have a link to some info on any of that? You took it to the next level, that I'm not very knowledgeable about, still learning from all of you been knowing for decades, I'm Sure... The information seems to have been very secretive, that maybe few really know a lot of... I'm surprised at how much that seems to be known and figured out, there again, sharp minds giving a lot of thought over time, interesting... ~: CDS :~

It's in Frank James' Trial Transcript, DAY/PAGE 7. Just "google" Frank James (James Warren) in Lynchburg, Va., 1882. HH!

OP
OP
Crosse De Sign

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing new under the sun.
Springfield: I really appreciate your input, thanks for your reference to Ecclesiastes 1:9: "The thing that hath been, is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Springfield: I really appreciate your input, thanks for your reference to Ecclesiastes 1:9: "The thing that hath been, is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."
Oh, thanks. Gee, I thought I made that up - guess it was Solomon, huh?

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to think there is still some out there, it's what keeps me going. I personally wouldn't be chasing any Northfield leads though, I think they only made out with somewhere between $0 and $12.50 silver. One also has to decide whether or not he believes that it was in fact Jesse whom Ford shot. If not it could have been Jesse himself who benefited from some of the old stashes at a later date. Stranger things have happened.

monkeymann

Jan 14, 2008
treasuresalvor: Thanks for adding your thoughts, something I've considered a lot also: Since it was well documented, by several citizens, eyewitnesses who knew and accompanied Frank, living and searching there in the Wichita Mountains area after statehood, that Frank recovered so many of the deposits. Supposedly, there may have been some caches that only Jesse knew the exact location of. If so, and Jesse really faked his death, and could have recovered some of them only known by him exclusively, why didn't Frank ask him about those he couldn't find there in the Wichitas, that were found by later treasure hunters? Franks mother was known to have made a trip to visit him and his wife, at his 160 acre farm between the Wichita Mountains and the Keechi Hills, in Feb. 1911. Frank then remained on his farm until he left in 1914, about 3 years after his mothers visit, and after approximately 7 years of living there, supposedly searching and recovering what he could find... Thanks, ~: CDS :~

Ok Guys....I have some things to add to this discussion that I think are worth pondering. I have read, and read, and reread everything I could find on Jesse James, Frank James, their "Gang" and the stories that are associated with them and the Wichita Mountains, and the surrounding area.
Here are my thoughts.....Please let me know what your personal opinions are on what I'm posting, as well as any input you'd love to give, or share.
I'm assuming you all have read the story regarding the 2-Million Dollars that Jesse, Frank, and some of the other outlaws who traveled with them, their "Gang" if you will. Supposedly in the winter of 1867...I think....some how, they ended up down on the Texas/Mexican border area. Hiding out. Also, remember that the border between Texas and Oklahoma, as well as between Texas and Mexico was a lot closer/differently divided/claimed than it is today. May be not so much the Texas/Mexico part, but with out question the Texas/Oklahoma was a lot closer to the Red River, which is just due south of Quarts Mountain and just across the creek from the Devils Canyon site which is several miles West of the Wichita Wildlife Refuge.
Anyway, as the "Story" goes, the James Gang robbed Mexican Miners of their pack mule train of about 18-burros, each carrying a fairly good quantity of gold. Not sure if the gold was "Raw Gold", if had been turned into "Gold Bullion", or what, but it was a pack mule train nonetheless.

The gang ran into a bad and bitterly cold snow storm as they entered the Wichita Mountains, and were able to apparently cross "Cashe Creek" (not sure which one....there's a west, and I think an east, or one just generically called "Cashe Creek". They apparently crossed Cashe Creed, and decided they couldn't go any further, and took the gold off the burros, and kicked it down a ravine and covered it with snow and rocks. They then supposedly shot one of the lame burro, to eat I assume, and burned the pack saddled that had stored the gold on the burros, in a bonfire to stay warm.
From there, where the gold ends up.....Is somewhat of a grey area.
According to most stories, Jesse James, and probably Frank returned to the are shortly afterwards, and reburied it into the "Bounty Banks" you spoke of. Then Jesse made a couple maps, one he actually carved into either the tongue, bottom, or somewhere on the boot, of which he is said to have given to his mother Zerelda.

Now here's where it turns funky.......Shortly after burring the bounty banks, they ended up in the Minnesota Robbery gone dreadfully south ordeal, the gang was dispersed, and shortly after that Jesse James was murdered.

So....as you both know Frank James returned to the area in like 1911 and settled on a small gentlemen's farm about two miles north of Fletcher, Ok. There is an account of a local doctor observing Frank James for several days riding up to the top of a small hill in the area and just sitting in his saddle staring off South into the horizon. Dr. asked Frank James what he was staring off into the horizon. It is not known what was said, or what they ended of talking about, but as the story goes, a few weeks the Dr. returned to the area, apparently to an area a ways south of the hill Frank James was standing on, and the Dr. and his Associates proceed to dig into the side of a canyon. I guess the found a few small clues, but apparently found nothing else.
Buzzards Roost, which is about 2-miles west of Cement, Ok. is a prominent feature on one of the oldest looking "Supposed" treasure book in Steve Wilsons bood. My understanding is that Buzzards Roost was a major land mark for them, as well as one of the supposed way points on what looks like the older of the maps.
Now....here's the deal. With all that said. I have some theories regarding this treasure:
1.)I think that it is very possible that Frank James purpose for moving to the area, was that he obviously knew the area...which lends a little veracity to the story. It is claimed that Frank James wore out many many horses riding that area looking for clues as to where the gold was buried. It is also claimed that Frank James actually found anywhere from 2-14 cashe's depending on what you read.

If the James Gang Treasure Stories are actually true, then these can really be the only scenarios that are possible:

1.) The Gold was recovered by Jesse/Frank and/or some of the gang, and reburied into smaller cashe's (Bounty Banks) if you will.

2. After the reburial of the 2-Million in Gold, some-or-all of it was recovered at a later date by either Frank James, or, Cole Younger (who was just happened to be in the same area at some point that Frank was living there)

3. The gold was recovered by other members of the James Gang other than Frank.
4. Part-or-all of the gold was recovered by Frank James when he moved to Fletcher after being pardoned by he Gov. of Mo.

5.) HERE'S ONE THAT I'VE GIVEN VERY SERIOUS THOUGHT TO: If Frank James recovered some or all of the treasure/gold that he and Jesse and their gang supposedly buried in the Wichita Mountain's general area......then what did he do with it? He only lived in Fletcher from like 1911-1913 or 14. (Ish) then after his mother died while on her way back from visiting him, he ended leaving Oklahoma, moving back to the James Family Farm outside of Kearney, Mo. by Kansas City, Mo. I personally feel that if Frank James found any of the treasure or the gold, that, unless it really wasn't very much money to began with, (which I doubt is the case)(I think there were at least some treasure/gold buried there of greater value), , anyway, I think it would be a logical train of thought to suggest that Frank James took what he found back to the James Family Farm. Where it is probably STILL BURIED TODAY.

That's not to say that the Wichita Mountains doesn't still hold some buried treasure, I seriously think it still might. Mainly because there is a lot of land there that is "Federal Property" and you can't metal detect, or even go on some of it.

Any thoughts??????

monkeymann

Jan 14, 2008
Another question I've wanted to look further into is this: Of the known "Original" and "Copied" "Supposed" Jesse James treasure maps, are any of them real?

Do any of them "Really" date from the 1860's-1880's? And if so, has anyone made any attempt to try and verify if the he maps are actually written in Jesse or Frank's known handwriting? From a scientific approach, this would be something that would merit investigation. If one is claimed to be original, and the handwriting doesn't match Jesse or Franks hand writing, then it would have to be a copy, and if it were a copy, it automatically falls under suspicion.

I remember that there is a story connected to a map regarding the Wichita Mt.'s that Jesse supposedly carved on or in one of his boots, of which he eventually gave a copy to his mother.

I'd also like to see a good picture of the Brass Bucket that Joe Hunter supposedly found on Tarbone Mountain. The Treasure Pack carved into the bucket. I'd also like to see the iron cook pan that Joe Hunter dug up, that supposedly had a map carved into it.

There are suppose to be a lot of supposed "OutLaw" signs/carvings/etc. that can be found in the Wichita Mt's.

Weather this was something that Joe Hunter fabricated, I don't know. I don't know how old the stories of the James Gang and the Wichita Mt's are. I'm hoping Joe Hunter wasn't be fraudulent in the findings he claimed to make.

I've wondered about that too.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2:8-) I will always wonder about whether Jesse may have moved and or buried some of the caches elsewhere, faked his death, and then returned to locations of the hidden caches in other places, besides the Wichita Mountains surrounding areas, that are known to have had some of the James' treasure caches. There were undoubtedly, numerous caves and remote areas they knew of back then, in several surrounding states, where they supposedly pulled robberies, hid out, and lived in, such as Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Nebraska, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, etc., that Jesse could have possibly returned to, without it ever being known... I also wonder if Frank ever shared any of the caches he was seen and known to have recovered, there in the Wichita Mountains areas, with any of the other former gang members. Anyone have any thoughts about these?... Thanks, ~: CDS :~

Check with BELLE STARR...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread