How to find old ghost towns?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm.new to detecting i bought the treasure atlus from Thomas p Terry for NC specifically Caldwell county it has towns listed such as hartland jumbo and a few others but i can't find any info on.them on the net only ghost towns for NC i can find are on Wikipedia where else can i look, i assume the author is an expert can anyone who's experienced look up the few i have listed and tell me if there real.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also others that may be useful in Caldwell county NC yadkin valley cedar valley Finley and Moore.
I also forgot to mention the wiki has the town of Mortimer and edgemont which i know but aren't listed in the treasure Atlas for some reason, i just want to make sure towns are real and not a wild goose chase.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Go to local libraries of those areas; check Reference Sections for "Lost"/Ghost Towns. Mountain Communities are also important for Western NC; LOTS of Silver Mines in those hills! "Google" Lost Communities of Western North Carolina; Ghost Towns of Western North Carolina. HH!
Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been looking my local branch very small can't find any info on the ones in Thomas p Terry's treasure Atlas.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have can't find nothing on.them i assume he's an expert but no idea seen some old maps of western NC in library books but not one listing, is it possible it could have been camps that were never officially listed as towns? If so will be hard to find unless some ruins.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopefully a geological survey map might have ruins listed

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hoping someone has heard of any of them

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mackydon has a good idea if the topic of your thread was ghost town of moore north carolina you might it might catch someones eye that knows.

i use perrys books alot but have found the same problem on some of the ghost towns.

i am going to try this myself, ''THANX MACKYDON''

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Here is someone else hunting for info on Jumbo, NC
Jumbo (Caldwell County, North Carolina [NC]): Searching for Information

Topographic Map Populated Place Features in Caldwell County, North Carolina
Browse by County - Caldwell, Feature Type - Populated Place
Feature Hartland
Type Populated Place
County Caldwell
USGS Topo Map Morganton North
Elevation 1181 feet
Lat 35.853ºN Long 81.646ºW
Hartland USGS Morganton North Quad, North Carolina, Topographic Map

Edgemont NC
Edgemont USGS Grandfather Mountain Quad, North Carolina, Topographic Map

Not to trash Thomas Terry's Treasure Atlas series, but it is good to remember that he was basically working from newspaper archives, not field checking on his info; a fair number of towns he has listed as "ghost towns" are not ghost towns, including the place where I live Edgemont, SD which he has listed as a ghost town and has nearly 1000 people living here. Lots of great info in his atlas however, just you have to do your own field work to determine if he had it right or not, and in a few instances he did not recognize that two different stories are talking of the same thing.

I would highly recommend hunting up the oldest maps you can find of your area you wish to hunt, make note of the little villages and settlements and compare to modern maps; by this method you may well find some ghost towns and forts that Terry failed to find. There are some great collections of OLD maps online, if you can not find some let me know and I can suggest some good sites for starters. Also, do not forget to use those old newspaper archives yourself, the Library of Congress has a terrific selection and you may find treasure stories for your area that NO ONE else is even looking for.

NC state archives, a pretty good collection IMHO
Home: State Archives of North Carolina

US Library of Congress newspaper archive
All Digitized Newspapers « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

That should get you started - good luck and good hunting amigo, you are in a GREAT area for finding the GOOD STUFF, heck I have done some panning and gem hunting not far from you (years ago) it truly is some of God's country; I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

PS and don't forget to come back and tell us about your adventures, and show some of the great stuff you will find! :thumbsup:

Coffee anyone?
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be checking these sites out my next adventure will be in June at Myrtle beach.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day i plan on going to lost cove cool place in yancey county from pics ive seen bet a good hunting ground for artifacts etc.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those still interested in my adventures currently still trying to find my great grandfathers moonshine money just doing more research and going to buy a new detector before i go out looking, I borke my old one at the beach but good experience, as for ghost towns just bought a few more books to learn some more, I'm also learning how to search everything i can with a few of the books, will keep everyone updated. you can see more of my threads in NC section of site.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also forgot to thank everyone for info its helping a lot.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the area I live in, I can go to the county recorders office, if I have a ghost town name, and check to see if they have a plat map, the plat map gives me the layout of the town, streets, and buildings, sometimes the exact long/lat coordinates, this has paid off several times. After a little research (old local newspapers and cemeteries, etc.) I've also been able to locate descendants of the original town members who have provided additional information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread