Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,

I just want to introduce myself to this group.

I am retired, late 60s in age, and live with my wife, “Numero Uno”, in SW Colorado. I worked indoors all my life with computers, but my alter ego has always been a gold prospector outdoors in mountains and desert.

I can’t remember when I first became intrigued by lost mines, but it was probably sometime in the 1950s and it was probably due to reading “Desert Magazine”. I grew up in southern California and tried to get my father to take me camping in the Mojave Desert whenever I could (so I could pursue the lost mine stories I read about). My Pop was a great guy, and I got to go often. You can find here an online archive of these wonderful publications that I read front-to-back,
Desert Magazine Archives

I’ve prospected for the last two summers mostly in the Cochetopa caldera area SE of Gunnison, CO. I have located 3 hard rock, in situ gold deposits around the perimeter of the caldera, but none are of any economic consequence. Lately, I’ve been thinking about one or two of the lost mine stories elsewhere in the nearby San Juan Mountains for this coming summer’s outings.

I’ve been visiting TreasureNet for a few years and have posted a few of my experiences over on the Dowsing forum.

“Howdy” to you all.

Sincerely,
-Cochetopa

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Welcome to Treasurenet Cochetopa! :thumbsup:
I hope you will jump right in to our discussions, and maybe we can start talking about some of those lost mine legends of Colorado too!

Oroblanco

PS if you see us post these:
:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:
it is to offer coffee to each other, which is the best we can do until we can meet and share coffee and stories around a campfire.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard Cochetopa from GA! Wishing you best of luck in your prospecting adventures! Best Regards, Walt

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
wander aimlessly in circles with camera in hand
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Cochetopa

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome and the FYI about the meaning behind the coffee cup icon. 8-)

Kanabite,
The link to the PDF about La Plata County history is especially interesting because that is where one of the lost mine stories in which I am interested is located. Really nice coincidence. The western slope of Parrott Peak supposedly conceals a rich gold vein that was partially developed in the late 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century. The source of this lost mine tale is from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Treasu...1394838126&sr=1-1&keywords=temple+h+cornelius

Thanks again for the friendly welcome.

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
wander aimlessly in circles with camera in hand
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hee hee , interesting that this link claims mining before the Escalante-Dominguez 1776 , the link says Spanish , but i question that . lol The Lost Mine of Parrott Mountain

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard CT. Just invest in a new pair of hip boots if you get involved. Seriously All in here are basically gentlemen and since they are coffee lovers, some even ;like sheep- -- ok. pass yer cup - --E (_)P

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Guys, Thanks for the warm welcome and the FYI about the meaning behind the coffee cup icon. 8-) Kanabite, The link to the PDF about La Plata County history is especially interesting because that is where one of the lost mine stories in which I am interested is located. Really nice coincidence. The western slope of Parrott Peak supposedly conceals a rich gold vein that was partially developed in the late 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century. The source of this lost mine tale is from this book: Golden Treasures Of San Juan: Temple H. Cornelius, John B. Marshall: 9780804006361: Amazon.com: Books Thanks again for the friendly welcome.

Welcome aboard, Cochetopa. You've chosen well with SW Colorado. I might still be there myself except for the winters. Parrott Peak is a great place to poke around, as you know. The Cornelius book is an excellent source for clues there and elsewhere in the area, including high up in the Needles. I was also curious about Hesperous Peak. I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun in the hills - keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread