Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is there it is most likely on the res. It is a big area though, if the base commander is a friend you might be able to spend a year or two looking at likely places for it. As luck would have it there aren't that many places to get Queen Annes Revenge close to it, maybe that will help? And check very old maps to see how much the river has moved. Good luck Buddy!

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captED,

The source you talk about was Anthony de Silvestro , he did exist and he died on Bourbon Island now Reunion. The officials got him in the end.

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crow,
I merely found him briefly while reading the wealth and depth of work produced by Robert Bousquet ;
Les esclaves et leurs maitres a Bourbon , au temps de la compagnie des Indes 1665 - 1767

Anthony de Silvestro became known via book written by Clement Downing in 1737
Compendius history of Indian Wars.
Downing arrived in India in company with the newly arriving Governor of Bombay Charles Boone in 1715 , some believe his book to be loaded with a heavy dose of fiction , however if it is dissected and placed in sequence , a lot of truth does come from it. Especially if it can be cross referenced via other sources / documents, admittedly some dates and names are out of wack to an extent.
This treasure appears to be in a no go area and really advisable in not taking a risk on it.
p124-125 of Downings book will give the origins of where this story started to be told.
Downing met Silvestro , he was part of a group 2 Dutch and 3 Portuguese , Silvestro being Portuguese spoke good English and had been brought up by one Cpt Westerby of Poplar , Silvestro talked of having been amongst pirates and he had been on one of the sloops coming out of Virginia , when Blackbeard was caught.
So how did he get to the Indian Ocean? 1718 A few pirates were starting to venture across the Atlantic for West Africa ...Condent , Ed England , Cocklin , La Buse , John Taylor (Richard to his crew) Moody , so who knows? it could be whittled down to Edward England and his time as quarter master to pirate Charles Vane and his connections with Blackbeard as the most likely route , but then again , Condent was/is a tough one to track his whereabouts at the time. Taylor was with England as well.

As for Silvestro , i will try find the piece but it was a very brief piece amongst many.
Banana`s

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello banana

Some real interesting stuff there. Your research is coming along nicely. Please do keep me informed of ya progress.:thumbsup:

Crow

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
captED,

The source you talk about was Anthony de Silvestro , he did exist and he died on Bourbon Island now Reunion. The officials got him in the end.

He WAS the Pirate that "reported" on Mulberry Island in Virginia; reported to be on the James River, the York River... BOTH near Williamsburg, Va. where BB's headless body was buried. There was a report of Mulberry Island near Maryland; if so... MUST be in the Chesapeake Bay area, near EASTERN SHORE, Va./Md. Hmmm...

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rebel -KGC,

Was he a pirate?

Or was he taken by pirates , then forced into being a pirate or did he go willingly? Since he was on a sloop "poplar" coming out of Virginia.

There is what i think a pretty big clue in the book pages i mentioned about the whereabouts of 3 chests wrapped in iron bar.
Plus am sure others here could add more about the local folklore still present to this day , and a search of the local newspapers may prove fruitful.
banana`s

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a side thingy , in the madness of it all the author Clement downing who was eventually on board "Salisbury" a vessel in a squadron out in search for pirates in and around Madagascar , and St Marie early 1720`s actually met a captive surgeon held by the very pirates he was chasing 3-4yrs later in a pub in Wapping, London called the "White heart" where they perhaps shared a yarn or two over a flagon of ale.Along with another gentleman who was among the pirates. Funny old world innit.
banana`s

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hi Rebel -KGC,

Was he a pirate?

Or was he taken by pirates , then forced into being a pirate or did he go willingly? Since he was on a sloop "poplar" coming out of Virginia.

There is what i think a pretty big clue in the book pages i mentioned about the whereabouts of 3 chests wrapped in iron bar.
Plus am sure others here could add more about the local folklore still present to this day , and a search of the local newspapers may prove fruitful.
banana`s

One of the Pirate survivor of BB's LAST battle in the Grand Inlet of Outer Banks, NC. Ocracoke, NC is a "Must See" for "fans" of BB. BB's head was cut off by Brit Navy; BB's head was mounted on Royal Navy ship... headless body was conveyed to Williamsburg, Va. as PROOF to Royal Governor Spotswood, that BB was dead; buried near Royal Governor's Palace in "historic section". To this day, "Bankers" (Outer Banks, NC folks) chant "DEATH TO SPOTSWOOD!"

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Doing R & I on Mulberry Island/James River, Mulberry Island/York River, Mulberry Island/Chesapeake Bay, Va./Md.

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps , i am wrong , but it was never mentioned that Silvestro was with Blackbeard "of a sloop out of Virginia when Blackbeard was captured" give or take a few months from a person trying to remember a month a few years later....
Cpt Charles Vane was also at Ocracoke around the 2nd week of September 1718 , where he stayed with Blackbeard a few days , before Blackbeard sailed up to Bath . C/woodard p287
Vane the following month was in the Bahamas
In November 4th woodes rogers sent out reformed pyrates Benjamin Hornigold and Cockram in search of Vane , So where were they til they returned 28th November.
Most of this is from impressive work of Colin Woodard "Republic of Pirates" but there is source via the Calander of State papers , Colonial , America and West Indies. Vol 30...or the original colonial Office documents.
Bananas

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hmmm... as far as I know, BB was NEVER captured; had a BIG Mansion in Bath, N.C., where he entertained other Pirates & the GOVERNOR of North Carolina (Eden). BB also had a HUGE "furnace" near Bath, N.C. where Pirates melted down "booties"; owner of that field later tore "furnace" down & plowed over it... DANG! Would LOVE to MD/TH THERE! Heard from some ppl that BB's skull was later used as drinking cup in "rituals"... dunno. It was the Brit Navy who had the BB Drinking Cup rituals; looking into it, now...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Doing R & I on Mulberry Island/James River, Mulberry Island/York River, Mulberry Island/Chesapeake Bay, Va./Md.

R & I indicates that Mulberry Island was located on the James River, near Newport News, Va. & Ft. Eustis (US ARMY).

IF BB buried treasure on Mulberry Island, FEDS probably found it & built Ft. Eustis over the site.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R & I indicates that Mulberry Island was located on the James River, near Newport News, Va. & Ft. Eustis (US ARMY).

IF BB buried treasure on Mulberry Island, FEDS probably found it & built Ft. Eustis over the site.

That is precisely my thoughts on this. I have been waiting to see who else would come up with this! Good Job Rebel!? ( I think? Maybe it is just you and I?)

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Its is possible but unless there is evidence to confirm this alleged discovery? Then it is only an assumption. Asumptions can be dangerous because we have only ever have a 50% chance of being correct. Perhaps it was recovered even before in 19th century by some one? Who really knows? Perhaps the answer might turn out many years from now and when we are are all long gone some makes a chance discovery? All assumptions! No one realkly knows and thats why it is a treasure legend my friends.

So I wouldn't be too quick to fully write off the treasure legend just yet.....

Crow

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its is possible but unless there is evidence to confirm this alleged discovery? Then it is only an assumption. Asumptions can be dangerous because we have only ever have a 50% chance of being correct. Perhaps it was recovered even before in 19th century by some one? Who really knows? Perhaps the answer might turn out many years from now and when we are are all long gone some makes a chance discovery? All assumptions! No one realkly knows and thats why it is a treasure legend my friends.

Crow

Someone claimed to have found it? I would like to read that article, please.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Crow

Good Luck in looking for it... HH!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Rebel thank you. But its exactly not high on my list, I have too much research to do on elsewhere.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread