Treasure Map Legends

NEWN

May 19, 2009
I only definate instance of a Pirate burying treasure was that of Captain William Kidd on Gardner's Island {it was later recovered}
Of course with any legend of Buried Treasure there is always the Treasure map... I wonder in fictional literature is the item of the Treasure Map always been around...?
Examples:
*Edgar ALlen Poe's "The Gold Bug" 1843
*Robert Lewis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" 1883 a riviting novel--which has been adopted for movies {Such as 1934 with Jackie Cooper} to 1950 by Walt Disney to Cartoons -including Mr Magoo's version and a comic opera cartoon version in 1972 with voices of davy Jones; Richard Dawson and Larry Storch {subtitles in Norwegian!] ; The Chipmunks--and even Versions such as with the Jim Hesons Muppets and outer space version! {yet personelly the only version I have ever seen or read which I liked is a 1970's cartoon that was very close to Steveson version}:skullflag::blackbeard:
*Milton Canniff's "Terry and the Pirates" 1934 about a 10 yeear old boy who wonders off to China with his deceased grandfathers treasure map and accompited by a obetient chinese servant who talks pigen English has adventures there for 40 years until 1973!:icon_scratch::tongue3:
Any more examples...?

froggy

Jan 18, 2008
Canyon Del Oro, Arizona
I've heard of one called 'The stone Maps' linked to the Lost Dutchman Mine.
Another would be the 'Molina map' linked to the [FONT=&quot]Tumacacori Lost Mines.
[/FONT]

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all not all treasure legends have treasure maps..

Another factor to consider...What constitutes a treasure map? A letter with directions. A cartographic chart or stone markers?

The subject of treasure maps have been much maligned by academics in recent years. However due to the complex nature of the subject it is all too easy for academics rather than face ridicule from their peers to denounce the subject of treasure maps. There is a long history of treasure maps in fiction mainly historically from tales associated with Captain Kidd along the east coast of the united states that must of influenced writers such as Poe and much latter Stevenson. There was many other penny dreadful stories that cemented the idea of treasure maps into Public perception. Such tales by authors blended fact and fiction into their novels that made if hard to understand fact from fiction.

This is why Academics and historian avoid the question like the plague. As a historian and archivist I base my research on independent verifiable evidence from various sources. My opinion is every alleged document has be judged on their individual merits. Realistically in the real world there are very few real treasure maps. Most where inventions by con artists or writers for their stories. Some of these writers confused the issue by blending fact and fiction. However There was a few maps that are historically significant and even some have apparently lead to treasure.

Amy

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure maps are basically refreshing data to the original burier. As an example I found the collapsed portal of Las Pimas mine, very prominent, easily seen, I f you knew what you are lookng for, and at.
m
On my second trip to amplify my findings, I simply could not find it. I spent 1/2 a day trying to relocate something that I had preciously found.

On the third attempt, the portal was attenpting to bite me as they say. It was soo obvious.

In other words most people who buried a treasure in those daysy were doing so in wild, uninhabited land or an Islnd.

Land changes, trees die, etc., so one can need the map for refeshment of small data. or to send another (?) back for you to reclaim your treasure hmmmmmm

So Yes, treasure maps do exist In fact I have effectively givenone to Oro to the Tayopa actual mine etc..Course I hold his black soul as colateral.l

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

Justintime

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2011
Central, Alabama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,Pro pointer, TRX,Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Beachhunter ID, whites bullseye ll pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure maps are real, but very rare. I have personally delt with one. From what I understand pirates split up there spoils, soon as they got it. Down to last coin, peice of eight,coin splitting. I think it would be tough for a captain to take everyones shares, and hide it. The crew would know were it was, it takes a arrangement, agreed upon, type stuff. Thanks

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
First of all not all treasure legends have treasure maps..

Another factor to consider...What constitutes a treasure map? A letter with directions. A cartographic chart or stone markers?

The subject of treasure maps have been much maligned by academics in recent years. However due to the complex nature of the subject it is all too easy for academics rather than face ridicule from their peers to denounce the subject of treasure maps. There is a long history of treasure maps in fiction mainly historically from tales associated with Captain Kidd along the east coast of the united states that must of influenced writers such as Poe and much latter Stevenson. There was many other penny dreadful stories that cemented the idea of treasure maps into Public perception. Such tales by authors blended fact and fiction into their novels that made if hard to understand fact from fiction.

This is why Academics and historian avoid the question like the plague. As a historian and archivist I base my research on independent verifiable evidence from various sources. My opinion is every alleged document has be judged on their individual merits. Realistically in the real world there are very few real treasure maps. Most where inventions by con artists or writers for their stories. Some of these writers confused the issue by blending fact and fiction. However There was a few maps that are historically significant and even some have apparently lead to treasure.

Amy

I think you make some good points Amy, particularly about what constitutes a map. I have a copy of the LUE hanging in my office...looking right at it as I type in fact. It's always puzzled me by how "un-maplike" it is. It runs counter to any traditional concepts of a map, so much so it's often puzzled me how anyone ever arrived at the conclusion that it was in fact designed to be a map. There is no APPARENT (read: obvious) suggestion of a starting point, of directions, of distance, of scale. Nothing about it suggests it's a map in my estimation so I've often pondered how it ever became regarded as a map in the first place to say nothing of the difficulties of deciphering it.

That said, I think it's important to note that in most cases a map would not be made by the finder for his own sake. I think more often than not a map is drawn by a finder to aid someone else in recovering the treasure as it were. The only real exception I can come up with is people who find a treasure accidentally and may jot some things down. By and large though, treasures seem to be found by people familiar with the land they search and therefore have n personal need for a map.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread