LOST ESCALANTE MINE

okey dokey

Mar 23, 2009
Muskogee
There is an article in Desert Magazine in the July 1952 issue that tells of the "Lost mine with the iron door" or Escalante mine. In the next issue a reader post a picture of a boulder that could be associated with this mine. It has a profile and a 5 and other markings on it. It is located near Tucson, Arizona.
http://mydesertmagazine.com/files/195210-DesertMagazine-1952-October.pdf

okey dokey

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
"A mine with an iron door." "A Mexican arrived with an old map." "The pack train's bullion was buried during an Indian attack." Sound familar? They should, because these themes in particular have been used over and over and over to spread 'information about Spanish mines/treasures' in literally dozens of locations in AZ, NM, UT, CO, TX, OK and elsewhere. Most of the revelations surfaced in the 1930's, released by famous treasure writers and in newspaper adventure columns. Is there any truth underlying stories such as the Escalate Mine report? Yes, quite possibly, but likely something different than the popular version - in this case, maybe something of value in the higher reaches of Canon de Oro in the Catalinas. Dig deeper - compare with the other 'Iron Door' stories.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second Springy's Motion!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
There is an article in Desert Magazine in the July 1952 issue that tells of the "Lost mine with the iron door" or Escalante mine. In the next issue a reader post a picture of a boulder that could be associated with this mine. It has a profile and a 5 and other markings on it. It is located near Tucson, Arizona.
http://mydesertmagazine.com/files/195210-DesertMagazine-1952-October.pdf

okey dokey

Thanks for starting the thread and for the link - could be an interesting discussion!
Oroblanco

OP
OP
okey dokey

okey dokey

Mar 23, 2009
Muskogee
I run across a lot of stories that I copy for future reference. If I ever get to retire I could chase a few.
I just thought that if someone was in the Tucson area they might want to check it out.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
I run across a lot of stories that I copy for future reference. If I ever get to retire I could chase a few.
I just thought that if someone was in the Tucson area they might want to check it out.

There was placer found in Cañada Del Oro (sorry, spelled it wrong in post #2), and the MWTID is supposedly upstream. If you have never been in the Catalina's, be prepared for challenging hiking the further uphill you venture.

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A mine with an iron door." "A Mexican arrived with an old map." "The pack train's bullion was buried during an Indian attack." Sound familar? They should, because these themes in particular have been used over and over and over to spread 'information about Spanish mines/treasures' in literally dozens of locations in AZ, NM, UT, CO, TX, OK and elsewhere. Most of the revelations surfaced in the 1930's, released by famous treasure writers and in newspaper adventure columns. Is there any truth underlying stories such as the Escalate Mine report? Yes, quite possibly, but likely something different than the popular version - in this case, maybe something of value in the higher reaches of Canon de Oro in the Catalinas. Dig deeper - compare with the other 'Iron Door' stories.

Springfeild makes an excellent point.

I beginning to see why these stories become addictive as it is human nature to be inquisitive. And the love of such mysteries inspire whole generations of such urban myths and odd stories. Tantalizing us to discover the facts from the fiction and perhaps even daring us to dream a little.

Amy

froggy

Jan 18, 2008
Canyon Del Oro, Arizona
One more 'source' to look at for info:

A Door Of Iron And Nuggets Of Gold
It may be only a legend, but it attracts almost as many eager searchers as the
nearby Lost Dutchman Mine. For more than a century, men have been traveling to
Tucson to try and unravel the mystery of this famous lost lode.
By J. Beller And W. B. Shillingberg

From page 32 of the January 1979 issue of Lost Treasure magazine.
Copyright ©1979, 1999 Lost Treasure, Inc.

OP
OP
okey dokey

okey dokey

Mar 23, 2009
Muskogee
OKEY Dokey: I enjoyed reading that issue , graciasj
Dom Jose de de la Mancha

Glad you liked it. I was raised a desert rat so it is all interesting to me.
They printed a monthly magazine for approximately 50 years and you can find them at http://mydesertmagazine.com/Desert_magazine_archive.html
It takes a long time to go through 600+ issues but I like it. I learned about the magazizne on treasurenet.
okey dokey

froggy

Jan 18, 2008
Canyon Del Oro, Arizona
So Look here:
Iron Door Lost 5-27-14.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread