Lue Map

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya know, I have to confess, I fully recognized that many treasure stories really gained prominence during the 1930s but always felt that was more of a by-product of the Great Depression than the Gold Act. The assumption being that with so many people out of work more of them were spending time looking for these types of things hoping to hit it big. Similarly, many stories feature finds by individuals working for the CCC and such. Truth is many of these stories were at least a half a century old during the Depression but gained new prominence (I think) as day dream fodder. To be fair, there's no reason that both the Gold Act and the Depression could play roles in the upswing of treasure lore in the 1930s, to say nothing of the potential of other influences.

The LUE would be rather interesting because in its current form, if it did come forth in the 1930s it would be one of very few stories that emerged in this tiem period from nothing. the only other significant story I can think of that didn't have a strong foundation in the late 1800s would be Victorio Peak.

Treasure of the Valley of Secrets has always bothered me on a number of points. While KvM mentions the LUE, it seems shoe-horned in, particularly since he makes it clear that the cave of gold and the LUE are not the same treasure. My biggest complaint is his use of Hurt's Scarlet Shadow which he approaches as a legitimate historical recording rather than a bit of political propaganda disguised as fiction.

Another LUE crossover (and a far more likely one I think than the Nazis) is that the LUE caches might be related to the French miners at Treasure Mountain. In that case you have a map and on site treasure markings. The one shortcoming of the LUE (not the only one I suppose) is that even if it can put you close to a site you'd need something on the ground to get more precise and closer to the target with. Treasure Mountain would appear on the surface to satisfy both of these concerns. Keep in mind too that the Treasure Mountain story came into prominence in the mid 1910's.

Good points Randy - most of which I've pondered myself. Regarding the often repeated explanation that the Great Depression spawned the avalanche of interest in treasure tales during the 30s, I would say that - especially in the mineral districts of the American west following the California gold rush - there has always been keen interest in prospecting, finding "old Spanish mines", etc. Human nature rules, and people respond to get-rich ideas. The California gold rush of 1849 ignited a mania that persisted for decades in the West until a series of recessions greatly slowed activity in prospecting and mining, as metals prices were weak. When you read the old newspapers beginning ca Civil War period, more or less, you'll find no lack of adventure-slanted yarns alleging hidden treasure, lost mines, Jesuit sites, etc.

Now, the legends that existed prior to the 20s to 40s era. Where better to hide a cache of bullion and link it to a lost Spanish mine than in an area that already has a history of rumors and legends? Makes things easier, no? As a conspiracy analyst (not a theorist - there's a big difference), one thing I've recognized that seems to be a Universal Natural Law is, "follow the money to the truth." That begs the question - where did the money come from?

Re "Spanish treasure", yes, there was some Spanish mining activity in today's USA, but there were far more and better and cheaper and safer and easier opportunities for contractors in Mexico than beyond the Northern Frontier. Same today as then. That being the case, if there are all these alleged caches scattered across the West, where did they originate? Better still, if they do exist, why were they left behind here? Did the King agree that his fifth share tax be buried somewhere in the northern wilderness to be maybe recovered later? Not a good deal for him, eh?

Treasure Mountain. I have some ideas about that too. Here's my latest working model. As always, I reserve the right to change my mind when additional facts become available. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...tain-co-lost-frenchmens-gold.html#post5836343

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Rawhide: Both the Gold Bug and RAM Editions of THM #7 aren't that hard to find. Treasure of the Valley of Secrets is, in the old bookseller's term, "excessively rare." Send me a PM if you can't find KvonM's THM's and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Rawhide: Both the Gold Bug and RAM Editions of THM #7 aren't that hard to find. Treasure of the Valley of Secrets is, in the old bookseller's term, "excessively rare." Send me a PM if you can't find KvonM's THM's and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

If one is buying THM7 for the LUE, one must get the Gold Bug version as RAM changed it slightly, namely removing 2 dots, there could be other changes as well but those two dots are the most obvious. Most versions of the LUE you see published online are the RAM version. Assuming this is the version most are familiar with, it might offer a clue as to why the map has been so hard to crack...one can only assume those two dots were important enough to include originally so their absence might make a significant difference on how the map is interpreted.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your map shows a route past some Jesuit mines Im told. Word of mouth there is always some truth. I stumbled upon the Spanish/Jesuit/Franciscan and it is confusing. But I think the Franciscans were some devious guys. Follow the money, or in this case silver and gold, and any other thing that was worth money.

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rich folks knew all this was coming of course - maybe years before the Act was en

The rich folks knew all this was coming of course - maybe years before the Act was enacted.

Exactly who do you think ushered in the Great Depression. It brings to mind one particular Nazi sympathizer in our now day and age who helped fund the so called free society institute. He made money by speculating that the English pound would be devalued and he bought freely. Then all of a sudden it bounced back and he made over a billion dollars. Just like the federal reserve its not owned by the government it is a private held company comprised of banks and lending institutions. The little guy will get screwed each and every time.

Back in the mid 1960's I used to buy gold for $24.00 an ounce and 5 pound bags of silver shot at $7.00 per ounce. Wish I would have kept it. There were older maps that led to treasure and if you close to believe that the LUE map surfaced in the 1930's or thereafter, then I believe you are mistaken. It is most certainly Jesuit and is signed as such. The truth is there was vast amounts of valuables placed in the ground by the Spanish, Jesuits, Franciscans, French, English, Vikings, Aztecs, Mayan, Inca, Aridoamerica and not to forget outlaw $$$ put into the ground. We could all take the Treasure Merry Go Round and depending which animal you choose and once it stopped you could get off and make or take your choice of which treasure you wanted to go after. Such in my case I am interested in all aspects of treasure hunting.

It is fun doing the research because you never know what you might find.

Have a great day and thank you for the posting.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The rich folks knew all this was coming of course - maybe years before the Act was enacted.

Exactly who do you think ushered in the Great Depression. It brings to mind one particular Nazi sympathizer in our now day and age who helped fund the so called free society institute. He made money by speculating that the English pound would be devalued and he bought freely. Then all of a sudden it bounced back and he made over a billion dollars. Just like the federal reserve its not owned by the government it is a private held company comprised of banks and lending institutions. The little guy will get screwed each and every time.

Back in the mid 1960's I used to buy gold for $24.00 an ounce and 5 pound bags of silver shot at $7.00 per ounce. Wish I would have kept it. There were older maps that led to treasure and if you close to believe that the LUE map surfaced in the 1930's or thereafter, then I believe you are mistaken. It is most certainly Jesuit and is signed as such. The truth is there was vast amounts of valuables placed in the ground by the Spanish, Jesuits, Franciscans, French, English, Vikings, Aztecs, Mayan, Inca, Aridoamerica and not to forget outlaw $$$ put into the ground. We could all take the Treasure Merry Go Round and depending which animal you choose and once it stopped you could get off and make or take your choice of which treasure you wanted to go after. Such in my case I am interested in all aspects of treasure hunting.

It is fun doing the research because you never know what you might find.

Have a great day and thank you for the posting.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Good post, LH. We tend to have a mostly simplified sound bite view of history, foisted upon us from an early age and therefore "true" as far as we know. As Tolstoy said, "History would be a wonderful thing if only it were true". The fact is, most of what we believe is unverifiable.

Your assignment of the LUE to the Jesuits would only be possible if the treasure was French, not Spanish, as today's Colorado and New Mexico were solely and staunchly Franciscan strongholds beginning with de Niza and lasting well beyond the Jesuits' expulsion from the New World in 1767. If that's the case, then the LUE may more properly be linked to the Treasure Mountain rumors, not any sort of "Spanish treasure." I don't necessarily buy into that scenario. Could you explain why the so-called LUE is "signed" by Jesuits?

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LUE = Jesuit

Hi Randy,

I wrote you the map is signed JS and that I am confident.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See the post I sent to Randy.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
LUE-Hawn: He is absolutely not a "Nazi sympathizer." That is defamation.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Old Bookaroo,

Forget politics lets get back to the good stuff like finding gold and silver and precious gems that have been buried in the ground for hundreds of years that we would like to find. The LUE is there and its up to you, to read what it says and find the location. Besides I was agreeing with sdcfia and like a new twist to an old song "I fought the LUE and I 'm one, I fought the LUE and I'm one. Like one of many who seek and find. There is gold in one's heart if you are willing to look inside to see the truth and I am on the positive side that the LUE is real.

Have a nice day

LUE-Hawn

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
LUE-Hawn: You wrote something that is completely wrong. All I did was correct the record. Apparently your suggest to "forget politics" doesn't include removing that part of your post.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wrote something that is completely wrong. All I did was correct the record. Apparently your suggest to "forget politics" doesn't include removing that part of your post.

Hello Old Bookaroo,

The person I was referring to in that post is long gone in other words deceased.

Personally I prefer to talk about treasure and the process of finding and relating the history and the direction the LUE takes you. There is no mysticism nor do you need celestial navigation or mathematics. Only the ability to read. When reading and interpreting what is written or illustrated do people understand what the map is trying to convey? Its not hard. Do I believe it? Yes. There are plenty of publications that are for or against it. I try not to bully or belittle if they have a different opinion. We all have our own opinions and my opinion is that I believe the LUE is true and it is there.

By the way Old Bookaroo are you familiar with the book "The Treasure Hunter's Guide To The Law" by Clair Martin Christensen, LLB please let me know if you have that book in your library?

Thanks & Have a nice day.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Last edited:

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So whatever happened to Spyro ? Did he purchase the acreage and dig up the LUE treasure ? His feature film should be in post-production by now... but I haven't seen a movie trailer yet.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
KVM mentioned in the 1969 Prospector's Gazette that the LUE was written about in one or more of the BAE Bulletins.

Has anyone here found what he was alluding to ? All 200 Bulletins are available for reading online.

Just thought I'd ask before I began searching.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Ryano: From (my) Post #24 on this thread:

"...researchers might find it useful to know that 'Certain documents of the Smithsonian Institution and at lease one bulletin of the Bureau of American Ethnology have glaring references to the LUE but under entirely different nomenclature...Here is where the experienced researchers who is fully informed and aware of his subject is able to capture facets that are ignored by or elude the inexperienced or unperceptive researcher. There are also publications of at least one, and possibly two, state historical societies that provide almost pipeline directions.'

"The article may be found in the October-November 1969 (Vol. 6, No.2) issue."

In direct response to your question, I don't know the reference and I've never looked. "Under entirely different nomenclature" could mean a great many things.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OK actually I started reading these bulletins last night. Only two pamphlets focus specifically on Colorado and those study ancient ruins. Little to no mention of anything Spanish nor anything about gold mining or treasure. Several pamphlets study Mexican manuscripts and Mayan & Aztec codices and calendars and pictograms. That’s the closest relation to the LUE map I’ve yet found (quadrants, SWNE alignment,pictograms) but I doubt thats what KVM meant when he pointed to these publications.

edit: And, as KVM warns, I admit I’m neither experienced or perceptive (at least, in these realms of mystery, heh heh)

Last edited:

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
OK actually I started reading these bulletins last night. Only two pamphlets focus specifically on Colorado and those study ancient ruins. Little to no mention of anything Spanish nor anything about gold mining or treasure. Several pamphlets study Mexican manuscripts and Mayan & Aztec codices and calendars and pictograms. That’s the closest relation to the LUE map I’ve yet found (quadrants, SWNE alignment,pictograms) but I doubt thats what KVM meant when he pointed to these publications.

edit: And, as KVM warns, I admit I’m neither experienced or perceptive (at least, in these realms of mystery, heh heh)

Focus on New Mexico as well. Prime things would be the Padres, folklore about mining, maps, Masons, gold. Fairly certain any reference is also going to show up in the 1890's issues.

KvM made many references to the idea that the LUE is mentioned frequently but under other names. I've always thought this to be a suggestion that it is related to the Treasure Mountain hoard, though I could certainly be wrong. If you read the first few chapters of Sheepherder's Gold, the parallels become evident quickly.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Hi Ryano. What was said about the NE and SW alignment. Thanks.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Ryano: There is a wonderful O. Henry about two miners who spend the winter snowbound in a remote cabin. They find just two books - an almanac of facts and a book of poetry. After reading nothing else for months, one of them becomes a savant on a wide variety of topics. By the time you're done you'll be an authority on a wide variety of subjects!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread