Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Daryl Thanks for the clip...

With all the claims of treasure being buried by Francis Drake I am surprised he took any treasure home?:laughing7: I got told a joke once East coast all treasure belongs to Kidd and all treasure on the west coast belongs to Drake. All the treasure on the gulf of Mexico is Lafayette? The real pirates if they had know what legends are being said today they would most likely laughing their ass off..

Some times local treasure lore adds famous names to give credibility to a story. Treasure could be been hidden by the Spanish or even one the 49er or the pirates and smugglers of that given era?

Interesting all the same.

Crow

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drake never entered San Francisco bay. It has been argued as to why not, since there was plenty of evidence of the existence of the bay. The only excuse was that he was sailing off the coast so far that he missed it, yet he supposedly did enter a little known bey further up the coast - Drakes bay - and allegedly left a brass plate claiming the land and the people in the name of the Queen,

A local claimed that it was a fake, made by him, but it was still in confusion, the last that I heard of. was this his claim to fame or was it genuine??

I have a replica of it made by Wells Fargo in the celebration of his landing .

Last edited:

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
I would have said the mistake's in the second line- English usage- day month year, not month day year, as in modern American.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
The Clampers are definitely a precocious bunch - a prank like this wouldn't surprise many who know any of them.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I think the real treasure would be to find the body of Francis Drake himself. He died of dysentery off the coast of Portobelo, Panama in 1596 and was reportedly buried at sea in a full suit of armor inside a lead coffin. If true, one could assume that he and the coffin have sunk down beneath the sands of the sea bed by now.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Many of us may have first read of this treasure in either one of John Potter's or Bob Marx's books. Their source was N. B. Stirling (Treasure Under the Sea--1957). I located her in an old age home in NY. Unfortunately, her 'keepers' prevented me from direct contact--and I was told she had kept no notes. I did learn, however, that her source for writing the account was from the book "They Found Gold" by Hyatt Verrill--1936. Verrill's book was next published by The Rio Grande Press, Inc. in 1972.
About 17 years ago, divers from my boat were in the area (in route to Ecuador) and stopped by the island but found no trace of the treasure. Later, one of the members of Treasure Net told me he had either viewed or touched a silver bar in waters off that island; supposedly, part of Drake's loot.
I keep that hunt on my Things to Do List through the probability of actually going back to that site diminishes with the years; however the story continues to intrigue me to this day--obviously.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions