Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Crow,
Now that I am comfortable in the afterglow from this finest of adult beverages, let me start by saying that one of my partners at the time, Dave Horner, has written at least two accounts of the 'Capitana'. The first beginning on page 143 of his book, 'The Treasure Galleons' (Florida Classics Library--1990)--years before our rediscovery of the galleon; and the other account can be seen starting on page 213 of Dave's book entitled 'Shipwreck' (Sheridan House--1999)--post recovery. Dave captured the essence of the experience better than I would dare to rewrite the same facts.

I choose to recall the memory of this project as filled with challenges and successes, rather than positives and negatives. The challenges were many, yet we prevailed and (eventually) received a 50/50 division of the goodies. I'll list a couple of our challenges:
1. Two (highly 'ego-ized') competing groups had to join up as one: (one had the permit, the other had found the wreck).
2. Permits had to be obtained--though through this one+ year of effort, Ecuador experience 5 people claiming the throne.
3. Local competitors claimed we 'salted' a barren area to gain a permit.
4. One local competitor claimed we used SCUBA at night and swam one mile into his permitted area to steal Capitana coins.
5. Another competitor, who had found a nearby 'no-name' wreck was illegally selling his coins in NYC and claiming theirs were from the Capitana; found at our site. The claim was that we were smuggling coins to NYC for sale: WRONG
6. The original law was written to give salvors a smaller percentage of the intrinsic value (only) of the finds--in the form of 10-year Ecuadoran bonds--no thanks. We were instrumental in getting the law changed to a 50/50 split of the goodies. In our case, it came down to we divided the goodies into two piles and the government had first choice: That worked to our favor but I wont get into those details.
If you have any question(s) on the Capitana, I'd be pleased to give you a response if I'm still awake.
Don.......

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Mackaydon

I agree with Doc-d

Number 6 was inspirational.... We actually took a lot of lessons from that agreement as well as others. But its late and old Crow is seeing double and I do not have the tonic Don has...So see ya in the Morning...

This old bird has to roost.

Cheers Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Cuervo, seeing double, or is it just 2 of the lovely senoritas who ventured up to share your roost for the night?
And there in no need to wait for night for our Compadre Don Jose's tonic…….why I've heard that all 24 hours of the day is the perfect time to enjoy it.

Now when you get those tired old black wings to venture out to South America, we have some leaves that may just help with that tired feeling…….
Bueno sueños Senor Crow…..hasta mañana

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Doc-D I might have venture back there for some Don Jose infamous Tonic. I swear hes found the fountain of Youth.:unhappysmiley:

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly…….and these same cocoa leaves only of course where you can legally do so…….
You are well aware I am sure, that these leaves have been used safely for many thousands of years and are the best remedy for those high altitude problems many experience in those cities in the Andes………
I would guess you would die of leaf overdose before getting any of the "drug" like effects from things like cocaine…...
Quito, Ecuador being one example at about 12,000'……….

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc, when I was a laddie fishing for Golden Trout in Calif, some of those lakes were above the timber line, 10 thousand ft.but no cocoa leaves. A friensd of mine secretly confided that he was rejuvinating with a secret formula for south America, I checked and that it's main ingredient was chopped up cocoa leaves.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come to appreciate the value of cocoa leaves…as tea, chewing the leaf, in candy, or as a powder to be used in cooking……….
Rather benign stuff, but great for health it seems…….
Unfortunately not available in the USSA…..oh well, I'll be back soon.

I have also began to study the many available plants, herbs and other natural remedies that are widely available and used there………
Seems that at least a few are far better than the drugs pushed upon us by mainstream medicine.

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc, the Yaqui have a smal plant called 'Hilo de Oro'. The root ia about the size of the lead of a penciil. If you have a tooth ache or an exposed nerve, you simply take a piece about 1/2 inch long, chew it to a pulp then pack the tooth with if, It shortly stops hurting and eliinats any need for a root canal.work. Seems that the nerve retracts.,and never returns ??????? I am surprisd that one of the drug companies hasn't picked it up, then since it is natural, it cannot be patented.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big pharma companies are not interested in our health, nor getting better; they want to sell us stuff, put us on poisons they call drugs……….
Now I am not against medicines, but so much of what is modern medicine is politely stated, not good.
You mentioned flu shots…..never, never get one…………
After not going to a doctor/hospital; I am soon to see the VA doctor for a couple issues and no doubt they will be trying to push the flu shot………they do not work at best and many get sick…….there is some autoimmune issues that seem to be associated with the flu shot also…...

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc, the Yaqui have a smal plant called 'Hilo de Oro'. The root ia about the size of the lead of a penciil. If you have a tooth ache or an exposed nerve, you simply take a piece about 1/2 inch long, chew it to a pulp then pack the tooth with if, It shortly stops hurting and eliinats any need for a root canal.work. Seems that the nerve retracts.,and never returns ??????? I am surprisd that one of the drug companies hasn't picked it up, then since it is natural, it cannot be patented.
Oh, My dearest Don Jose. We need to spread the word about the miraculous Hilo de Oro. This is pretty funny, as I was in the Endodontist's chair yesterday for 3 hours with my mouth propped open, covered by a dental dam, and big silver hinges, thinking there has to be a better way to deal with a root canal! Hah! I was ready to rip that problem tooth out with something heavy and metal the night before that lovely date with the dentist. I felt like the lovely Hannibal Lector. Not a very pretty sight, for sure. I don't know if you know Trinidad (Trini) in Alamos? We are close friends, and he is just simply amazing. He has grown up learning and living by the the Yaqui ways. I am going to ask him if he knows about this plant. He says we never need to buy any type of medicines/drugs as anything can be cured by the gifts found in the rainforest. He is a shaman. A healthy one! :) In fact, speaking of teeth, he has some of the whitest teeth I have ever seen. I asked him, one day, what toothpaste he used, and he laughed, as he didn't use any. He simply uses the bark from a certain tree, like a toothbrush. Never has had a cavity! Lucky boy. Last year, he made my mom and her girlfriends a tea-party, from certain plants found in the forest. After they drank it, (fortunately, did not hallucinate, or anything) :) they all felt invigorated and happy, the rest of the day. Maybe we should bottle that secret formula, too? Hmmm,... Maybe we should switch from coffee to tea? I wonder if there is an Irish root growing in the Sierra Madres for you??? Don't worry, I will still use still use my special socks to make it for you. Whoop, whoop! Have a super happy and adventurous day, to all. Jodi

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning luv, The hilo de Oro can be bought in any mercado , however I must admit that when I had a root canal scheduled, i forgot about it and resorted to hyper suggestion quite successfully. The dentist in Navajoa was very impressed.

Yes , I know Trini. He still runs tourist tours.

And how are your patient hubby and buk's ? Barf, Barf to the Barfs

Jose

p.s. Di you successfully pass the driving scholl finals ?

Last edited:

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning luv, The hilo de Oro can be bought in any mercado , however I must admit that when I had a root canal scheduled, i forgot about it and resorted to hyper suggestion quite successfully. The dentist in Navajoa was very impressed. Yes , I know Trini. He still runs tourist tours. And how are your patient hubby and buk's ? Barf, Barf to the Barfs Jose p.s. Di you successfully pass the driving scholl finals ?
All is well, I am happy to report, over here. I passed with flying colors in my driving school. Smile, smile. I just got my insurance claim check, yesterday. So, all of that is history. Gracias a Dios, for sure. :) Ze' hubby, kiddos, and doggies as doing great. Just can't complain! How about you??? How is everyone and everything? Kisses to your beautiful esposa. I think we are heading your way in December. Fingers crossed! :)

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mastiff y Senor Don Jose……..there are so many useful medicinal plants out there that need to be written about and replace most of the big pharma drugs out there…….one of the projects I have on my to do list when I return home, is to write down and collect some samples of the various medical plants used by the locals in Ecuador……
Vaya con Dios….

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mastiff y Senor Don Jose……..there are so many useful medicinal plants out there that need to be written about and replace most of the big pharma drugs out there…….one of the projects I have on my to do list when I return home, is to write down and collect some samples of the various medical plants used by the locals in Ecuador…… Vaya con Dios….
. You are so very wise Doc D. No wonder you have Hero status. I would love to know so much more about this, as I really believe some of the greatest treasures can be handed to us by Mother Nature. Mothers are seldom wrong, wink-wink.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Don Jose, not familiar with how the Yaqui made poison arrows……..can you share with us?
And yes Mastiff, there is much to learn from Mother Nature…….and also the mothers who grace us with their wisdom on this forum.
Vaya con Dios

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread