Lost Zimmerman Ship of Gold

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 1914, while the Us was still deciding to stay out of the war or not, the Germans set up a spy system in northern Mexico. They constructed a very high Marconi antennae here in Alamos and daily communicated with Germany on general activities and ship movements.

Germany attempted convince Mexico to set up a system of border Incidents in order to keep the US more interested in her borders than Europe's. Not like today's government. she knew that she couldn't win the war with the US's production capabilities against her.

Zimmerman was the German consulate in Hermosillo. He became the principal in the plot. The newly formed Mexican gov't was agreeable since they were to paid in chocolate sized gold bars and desperately needed money.. Everything was going just fine, the gold bars arrived in a small steam driven German ship and was in Guaymas waiting to unload.

Unfortunately the Britlanders playing their usual secret service stuff, confiscated a diplomatic pouch from Zimmerman which disclosed the entire plan. Being famous for their diplomatic courtesy, they promptly had full details printed in the Hermosillo papers. This so embarrassed the Mexican gov't, that They rejected all parts of the plan and ordered Zimmerman and his Consul to leave Mexico..

The small ship in Guaymas with the gold bars? It left one dark night with the approach of a hurricane and was never heard from again.. It was assumed that it ended up in Rio de Janeiro

So there matter sat until the 1950's. I had a friend, Mittendorf, who knew a gentleman in Nogales Az . This gentleman told Mitty that he desperately wanted to talk to me, so off we went to meet him.

We entered one of rundown areas of Nogales at that time and finally found the equally run down trailer. We knocked on the door, a short but immaculately clean Mexican gal of about 40, opened the door. We introduced ourselves and she invited us in. we found an very thin, beat up gringo of indeterminate age in a wheel chair. He weakly bid us to sit-down next to him, which we did.

After sending Lupe off to brew some new coffee, He opened with "What I am about to tell you, I have never told anyone before, nor has my former partner before he died. In the late 40's I had concluded a very profitable business deal, so my Partner and I decided on a 2 - 3 weeks fishing and diving trip down in Baja. We went to La Pa, and rented a live aboard boat, and stocked with provisions. We also rented the latest dive equipment. When everything was ready, we set off down the coast of Baja towards San Lucas. We had no schedule, just being very lazy, and cruised a bit every day just diving, fishing, and sight seeing.

After about a week we were running short of fresh supplies, so seeing an isolated ranch on the shore, we set off in the small boat to see if we could get fresh eggs, chickens etc.. They were very friendly and while the man of the house was rounding up our supplies, his wife invited us into the house for the ever present Mexican custom of drinking coffee. While we were talking of this and that , she bluntly asked "just what were we doing"? I explained that we were just fishing and diving. She instantly picked up on the diving and asked several questions about it, apparently satisfied she asked "Why don't you dive on that ship out there? pointing to near where our boat was anchored.

I started to question her, and she told me that when she was a little girl, during a hurricane, she saw a small ship foundering and eventually it sank. There were no survivors. The ship was steaming south when the Hurricane struck and the ship sank.

The next morning we commenced scouting the area and finally found it in about 45 ft of water. a picnic. We first dove down and tied a green Clorox bottle to it's rail so the bottle floated about 12 ft below the surface. You could see the bottle IF you were actually looking for it but not otherwise.

As it turned out, this was a good idea. We commenced diving on it, it was a screw driven metal ship. It had a cabin and control room, with one hold in back - fantail for you x swabbies -. After a day or so of exploring the upper decks, our curiosity got the best of us, and we finally managed to open the hatch. It was empty except for a large metal container, the size of a small room. It was bolted together with an access door. It took two days to finally open the door, but it was worth it, inside it was filled with small boxes filled with chocolate bar sized bars of Gold.

So the next few days we started recovering bars. We had a fair amount aboard when we were notified to come up immediately by our crew. We surfaced and our crew were pointing excitedly towards la Paz to a large power boat approaching at high speed. We quickly cleared our anchor and started the engines and slowly moved away from the wreck. When the boat finally arrived, we were over 300 meters from the sunken boat and we gently lowered the anchor again.

We were boarded with armed men in uniforms which we assumed were of the armed forces of Mexico. They promptly searched our ship and discovered the gold bars. They confiscated them, and demanded the others. We explained that that was all that we had seen. They were welcome to use our gear to verify this.

They then left, but first ordered us to return to La Paz immediately and never mention this to any one or we would-be arrested, and that if we remained, we would also be arrested. Taking the hint we did exactly as they ordered. We left Mexico and neither of us has ever been back, since we expected to be arrested. I was never able to identify them as being any branch of the Mexican navy.

However, by this time I had contracted rheumatic fever which effected my heart and I am dying according to the doctors. I am unable to move, Lupe, helps me, more from pity I am sure, since it can't be from a huge salary. All that I ask is if you can locate it by my directions, that you give me enough for small things like cigarettes and candy, and set up a small pension fund for Lupe.

Naturally, we agreed, and he gave us the lat and long. We then gave him some money to help hold him over. When I returned a few months later to give him some more money, He had died, and I could not find Lupe. Soo at the moment I am the only one alive that knows of this or of the details.

Now you had better keep me alive. snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heat up the :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2: Its going to be one of those nights. np:cat:

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 1914, while the Us was still deciding to stay out of the war or not, the Germans set up a spy system in northern Mexico. They constructed a very high Marconi antennae here in Alamos and daily communicated with Germany on general activities and ship movements.

Germany attempted convince Mexico to set up a system of border Incidents in order to keep the US more interested in her borders than Europe's. Not like today's government. she knew that she couldn't win the war with the US's production capabilities against her.

Zimmerman was the German consulate in Hermosillo. He became the principal in the plot. The newly formed Mexican gov't was agreeable since they were to paid in chocolate sized gold bars and desperately needed money.. Everything was going just fine, the gold bars arrived in a small steam driven German ship and was in Guaymas waiting to unload.

Unfortunately the Britlanders playing their usual secret service stuff, confiscated a diplomatic pouch from Zimmerman which disclosed the entire plan. Being famous for their diplomatic courtesy, they promptly had full details printed in the Hermosillo papers. This so embarrassed the Mexican gov't, that They rejected all parts of the plan and ordered Zimmerman and his Consul to leave Mexico..

The small ship in Guaymas with the gold bars? It left one dark night with the approach of a hurricane and was never heard from again.. It was assumed that it ended up in Rio de Janeiro

So there matter sat until the 1950's. I had a friend, Mittendorf, who knew a gentleman in Nogales Az . This gentleman told Mitty that he desperately wanted to talk to me, so off we went to meet him.

We entered one of rundown areas of Nogales at that time and finally found the equally run down trailer. We knocked on the door, a short but immaculately clean Mexican gal of about 40, opened the door. We introduced ourselves and she invited us in. we found an very thin, beat up gringo of indeterminate age in a wheel chair. He weakly bid us to sit-down next to him, which we did.

After sending Lupe off to brew some new coffee, He opened with "What I am about to tell you, I have never told anyone before, nor has my former partner before he died. In the late 40's I had concluded a very profitable business deal, so my Partner and I decided on a 2 - 3 weeks fishing and diving trip down in Baja. We went to La Pa, and rented a live aboard boat, and stocked with provisions. We also rented the latest dive equipment. When everything was ready, we set off down the coast of Baja towards San Lucas. We had no schedule, just being very lazy, and cruised a bit every day just diving, fishing, and sight seeing.

After about a week we were running short of fresh supplies, so seeing an isolated ranch on the shore, we set off in the small boat to see if we could get fresh eggs, chickens etc.. They were very friendly and while the man of the house was rounding up our supplies, his wife invited us into the house for the ever present Mexican custom of drinking coffee. While we were talking of this and that , she bluntly asked "just what were we doing"? I explained that we were just fishing and diving. She instantly picked up on the diving and asked several questions about it, apparently satisfied she asked "Why don't you dive on that ship out there? pointing to near where our boat was anchored.

I started to question her, and she told me that when she was a little girl, during a hurricane, she saw a small ship foundering and eventually it sank. There were no survivors. The ship was steaming south when the Hurricane struck and the ship sank.

The next morning we commenced scouting the area and finally found it in about 45 ft of water. a picnic. We first dove down and tied a green Clorox bottle to it's rail so the bottle floated about 12 ft below the surface. You could see the bottle IF you were actually looking for it but not otherwise.

As it turned out, this was a good idea. We commenced diving on it, it was a screw driven metal ship. It had a cabin and control room, with one hold in back - fantail for you x swabbies -. After a day or so of exploring the upper decks, our curiosity got the best of us, and we finally managed to open the hatch. It was empty except for a large metal container, the size of a small room. It was bolted together with an access door. It took two days to finally open the door, but it was worth it, inside it was filled with small boxes filled with chocolate bar sized bars of Gold.

So the next few days we started recovering bars. We had a fair amount aboard when we were notified to come up immediately by our crew. We surfaced and our crew were pointing excitedly towards la Paz to a large power boat approaching at high speed. We quickly cleared our anchor and started the engines and slowly moved away from the wreck. When the boat finally arrived, we were over 300 meters from the sunken boat and we gently lowered the anchor again.

We were boarded with armed men in uniforms which we assumed were of the armed forces of Mexico. They promptly searched our ship and discovered the gold bars. They confiscated them, and demanded the others. We explained that that was all that we had seen. They were welcome to use our gear to verify this.

They then left, but first ordered us to return to La Paz immediately and never mention this to any one or we would-be arrested, and that if we remained, we would also be arrested. Taking the hint we did exactly as they ordered. We left Mexico and neither of us has ever been back, since we expected to be arrested. I was never able to identify them as being any branch of the Mexican navy.

However, by this time I had contracted rheumatic fever which effected my heart and I am dying according to the doctors. I am unable to move, Lupe, helps me, more from pity I am sure, since it can't be from a huge salary. All that I ask is if you can locate it by my directions, that you give me enough for small things like cigarettes and candy, and set up a small pension fund for Lupe.

Naturally, we agreed, and he gave us the lat and long. We then gave him some money to help hold him over. When I returned a few months later to give him some more money, He had died, and I could not find Lupe. Soo at the moment I am the only one alive that knows of this or of the details.

Now you had better keep me alive. snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha

How many gold bars do you think is left??

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many gold bars do you think is left??

I would think that even one or two would make the trip worthwhile.

Mike

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi embrym, the coffee hound: Taint much more to tell. it takes lots of money to run this to a successful conclusion. Being a treasure hunter I is/am a chronically broke one. - witness Tayopa, I have a hard time even coming up with the back taxes. Still, it's wonderful life if you don't miss the security. As I understood him, the majority of the bars are still there.

Chocolate bar sized. Gollyum

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, my Cawing friend. They were certified to purity and weight content. They easily substituted as Normal currency/ One could slip one or two in his pocket for a hot date

I was reading a report on the doings n Madang, particularly where you slept peacefully the whole might through on a couch, when they used a chainsaw on your floor.

Tis true???

Don Jose de La Mancha

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Aw That!

Yeah I'm a wee bit of heavy sleeper when on the grog. That was one mess up place back then. I been told it got worse.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Amigo

Fascinating story my friend we just have keep you alive longer...and also to get to write that book of yours.......

Crow

mayankratom

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grlll, These are the kind of stories that make people like me take off on insane adventures that make the story tellers laugh lol Ill give you a million dollars if this story is real and you lead me to the boat to get the gold lol

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Maya=== drink your coffee first, Tis true, All you need to do is come up with money for Permits, a boat, light aircraft with airborne Maggie, diving gear and food., and I'll tell you where he told me to look.

The initial air borne seach should be finifished within two ays, possibly one'.

Incidentally all of my stories are true.. Feel free to call me on any of them.

The Zimmerman story is also true, any search engine can confirm it.

Need a refill my friend?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
I'm confused. I'm still working on your story of years ago about the Zimmerman sub off Obregan in 80 feet of water; loaded with the gold.
Now it's not a sub but another type of vessel in 45 feet of water off southern Baja (Sea of Cortes). Help me out here, amigo.
Don.........

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mackaydon If I may make a comment on the matter for a little clarity on behalf of the one eyed Mary ki ki eating tropical tramp South of the Border?:laughing7:

I suspect our good friend Don Amigo has drank too much of Oro's internationally famous sock coffee and mixed two stories of WW1 and WW2 unintentionally? If Don had been at my infamous one eyed double vision brew he would seen things differently.:laughing7: :occasion14:

Zimmerman was German diplomat that was caught trying to get the Mexican government to invade United States to keep United state out of WW1. Victoriano Huerta the Mexican president at the time got a 12 million dollar bribe. It all came undone when British intercepted the coded message by Zimmerman to the German consul in Mexico and went public.The fate of the Money has been a mystery?

Here is Arthur Zimmerman who was once called the dangerous man in Europe and President Victoriano Huerta below. The infamous intercepted and decoded message is below.

Arthur_Zimmermann.png

Victoriano Huerta.jpg

Zimmermann_Telegram.jpeg

The WW2 Legend is based on the activities of Lieutenant Walter Kappe, 37, a pudgy, bull-necked man, was given command of the mission against America, which he dubbed Operation Pastorius, after an early German settler in America. Kappe was a longtime member of the Nazi party, and he also knew the United States very well, having lived there for 12 years. He Recruited various German Americans for various sabotage work in States. One such story was use of mini subs to destroy a major dam to take out industrial manufacturing via the disruption of electricity production on the west coast of the United states. The mission as I am aware was Never completed. How far the plan was advanced was anyone guess?

Here is picture of below is one of operational cells. This one i think was the one operating in new York.

sabs001.jpg

Walter Kappe is second person in photograph below

Pastorius.jpg

Operation Pastorius mission was to disrupt manufacturing on west and east coast of the United states.

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Macaydon my long time friend: Cafe as usual??

Yes, they are two different stories One took place during WW1, the other, the sub, during WW2. Ask away.

Don Jose de La Mancha

P.S. Gracias Crow A cafe with Mescal ??:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

P.P.S. It has never been clear to me what the sub intended ro do besides it's Espeonage mission.I doubt that it's sole mission was to transfer orders and money to the sabotiers from the US, There were many ways that it could be done rather than risking an extremely valuable sub/

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread