Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
See what ya started Don Amigo with your Baja story?

Well I have another yarn about treasure relating to Baja...

A treasure dating back to about 1858. With a beginning and a End and some very unanswered questions.

So ya better fire up Oro's sock coffee and pull up an bar stool. As I have a yarn of treachery deceit and greed all the ingredients of a good treasure legend. The story is centered around Cape San Lucas

LE-99.jpg

Before I will start I like you to think about the meaning of the term specie?

Any thoughts??????

Crow

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Species ??? I suspect that you will try to convince us that it means that oro, and the rest of the lonely sheep herders belong to the human race ????? Or is it simply a term use in mining and sci circles???

Jose
p.s. get on with the story, you already have me drooling. I'll rustle up some warmed over coffee.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Specie, as in Latin as in coin based on a standard. An established organised society commonly has their own.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok I am back in a lucid moment so I have tortured ya all enough.

The following story poses some interesting questions. In 1858 a sailing ship called Cornelia allegedly sank off the Cape of San Lucas in Baja California. A certain mr Haven talked with some of ships crew as they returned to San Francisco on another vessel. Some of the crew claimed the Captain and Mate was involved in some sort of insurance scam and deliberately sank the ship. What's more the specie it was shipping from South America to San Francisco was stolen by them and buried near the Cape San Lucas around an estimate 19000 odd dollars.

The Captain did not have the log book and ships papers and things were looking pretty suspicious....

It is interesting to think how many ships was sunk in insurance scams along the California coats and Mexican coasts? How many boxes of specie been buried on remote beaches around Baja? Then claimed to have been lost with the ship? In the hope of one day returning for them? How many was retrieved?

The Captain and the Mate a Chilean went ashore and buried the specie on a beach near the Cape.

Was it recovered or some of it still there today?

To be contin...............

Crow

7270820410_624714c148_k.jpg

beach.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The specie belong to Bolton, Barron and Co.

The Following newspaper story gives an account of the story.

Bendigo Advertiser Thursday 24 June 1858, page 2 CORNELIA TREASURE CAPE ST LUCAS MEXICO.jpg

Finally after have problems with authorities apparently none wanted anything to do with because it was not in their jurisdiction. The mate Louis Lenaro Captain H Bennet was finally charged and force to reveal the location of the buried specie. A schooner was carted called the Fanny that made haste to Cape San Lucas.

To be continued....

Crow

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CROW, please continue , its only 116 here, my ice coffee is getting hot.:coffee2: np:cat:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
CROW, please continue , its only 116 here, my ice coffee is getting hot.:coffee2: np:cat:

Yes, please do continue, I'm going to go ahead and smoke some crack so that I'll be in the right frame of mind and ready for the continuation.......

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Amigo nothing amiss with specie my friend Oro comes from long line of shepherds that once was the occupation that once made more money than gold mining. They rode on the proverbial sheep's back to wealth in Australia. Yes I do refer to the mining term and not the four legged kind.

embym I do have another yarn from your neck of the woods.

H-2 CHARLE Gotta be a Vietnam vet with that name like that?... For some reason I have to urge call for a fire mission? Khe Sanh keep springing into my head, It must be the fever? yes that Jamaican coffee with do nicely with a splash of rum?

Releventchair indeed you are correct in short hard money well done. In Australia the term specie was some times used to refer to shipment of gold as well as money. Another archaic term is spelter which was used in shipping manifests to describe gold shipment.

Not Peralta If you go a little crazy you have an excuse then as the heat must be boiling your brain right now. I know ya get used to it... er sort of At least ya can fry an egg without power. No wonder ya drinking Ice coffee. So I better get yacking then before the fevers comes back.....just when ya thinks its gone ya feel it creeping back on....

The Shipment was alleged 30000 dollars in Specie as the con was to rip Lloyd's off with the insurance. A shipping agent signed the original manifest for 30000 as that was it was insured for the Company Bolton Barron and Co it was claimed only had 19000 of the original shipment. So we have already conflicting amounts of money.

The schooner Fanny made a round trip over a month. Went to beach and dug up the treasure However a later newspaper report only 16000 recovered. In 11 bags of coin. Story ended right? Most like we still have a possible discrepancy of 3000 in coin plus because there was the shipping manifest and log book destroyed we do not know to its entirety if that was indeed all the money?

One question remains to be asked did they dig up all treasure? The Captain and his mate got busted by the Cook as he was not in on the deal squealed....about the scam....As you see on a sailing ships the cook always knows whats going on.

The much to learn from stories like these? They will never be famous like the super star legends by no means. These legends are for the small time hunters and there is no shame in that. In fact its small legends that often bear fruit? No large expedition outfit will ever take the time to go and look for it. And it is not worth the while or to spend ones life researching it. However it is a treasure story what I call a speculator. If you happened to be there at the time why not?

Cape San Lucas today is fashionable tourist resort. If one was down there on holiday I;d be packing a metal detector regardless.

Cabo-2011-Selects-22 small.jpg

The next newspaper story even gives a good indication where the 11 bags was recovered... The quest was there other bags or bag still there?

To be continued.....

Crow

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing. I have a friend from Cabo, and his wife's father used to be the mayor of Cabo as well. He was telling about some story regarding buried sacks of gold coins supposed to be on his family's property. He wanted me to bring down a couple of my deep detectors and work the property.

Very interesting.

Mike

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gollyum: DO IT!! you need the exercise ! Course if you find it, a few thousand Pesos shipped my way would be appreciated - for the use of my white Land Rover..

Don Jose de la Mancha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny thing. I have a friend from Cabo, and his wife's father used to be the mayor of Cabo as well. He was telling about some story regarding buried sacks of gold coins supposed to be on his family's property. He wanted me to bring down a couple of my deep detectors and work the property.

Very interesting.

Mike

Hello Gollum

Perhaps there might be a connection? Just visiting the place seems like a treasure in itself? You have an added bonus of having local connections that could possible make your trip interesting if anything?

The locals in Cabo did know of the activity of the schooner Fanny returning and digging up 11 bags of coin in 1858. Back then the village was only small and not the tourist haven it is today. The Crew of the Fanny did not stick around as they were afraid on an intervention by Mexican Custom authorities.

I made a check of the names of the key players to see if they were recorded in border crossings records from 1892 onwards. There is a possibility of course in the 34 year gap of records I have available where one of key figgures in the story recovered the treasure? Its possible but by no means conclusive either.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Also....

Here is another newspaper version with more detail about the recovery....

Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 15, Number 2190, 3 April 1858 p1.jpg

Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 15, Number 2213, 30 April 1858.jpg

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Oro Thanks for the compliment however it should be directed at that Don Amigo who sits on his mountain of gold who sparked my old rum sodden brain about treasure yarns of old Baja.

As you all well know these treasure yarns may or may not have some truth to them. But with all legends its the story that is priceless. Depending where Gollum's Friends property is it might be worth his while for a little look and a holiday at the same time. This type of legend is a small speculator treasure legend.

Speaking about size.....There is another legend of treasure connected to the Baja region as the crow flies in the fisherman's scale of big is bigger than both arms stretched out. A hundred 118 Million in 1899 values hidden over a period of years in between 1789 and 1792.

But that is of course another yarn.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
well ///

Jose

Don Jose good thing your an aficionado of trusty mules and not a fish? I suspect you and like few others here would have short lives as fish. The first bit of bait I chuck out snap the first fish that bites in a non other than a don Amigo fish native to el Mexico...A rare breed noted for its longevity....:laughing7:

I let you run on the reel for a bit....Ya must be wondering what in hell is that no good rum sodden disease infest tropical tramp raving on about?????

I have a tale for ya in a new post and topic but ya have wait... Friday they are kicking me out apparently they thing I must be getting better as I have be ogling the nurses....

Crow

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nah Crow my friend, it's the source of them that I value.. you.

I.E. you bring em up and we sort em out.

How would you describe the search for Tayopa when one cannot develop a single set of '''verifiable'''', or concrete, facts of it's existence, except, what the Indians, and others, etc have told me, which are automatically an unverifiable source, 'hear say', even if through the follow up and deduction results were / are successful.

As it stands I am the only source on Tayopa, I am sitting on it, yet from lack of capital, I cannot prove it without disclosing my 'Ace in the hole' Will it be declared a National treasure because of its history, a patrimony of Mexico or just another rmine??

I cannot know until I go to Mexico City and have a conference with the appropriate authorities, make a deal, hence my ace in the hole. a bargining chip.

So it is with most treasure stories, not enough solid data, or it wold have been found long ago, so you have to resort to deductive reasoning, that is what makes it so intriguing, a giant cross word puzzle.

I am reminded of a quaint custom in India. If you want revenge on someone, you present him with a white elephant, which is very valuable, but since custom prevents you from getting rid of it you go broke caring for it. Sigh.

'Verifiable' is in the searcher's opinion

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are patiently waiting for Señor Cuervo return to his nest and reveal the details…..
God bless you and grant unto you good health…..certainly some liquid medicine, coffee and some young home nurses will help your recovery….

Speaking about size.....There is another legend of treasure connected to the Baja region as the crow flies in the fisherman's scale of big is bigger than both arms stretched out. A hundred 118 Million in 1899 values hidden over a period of years in between 1789 and 1792.

But that is of course another yarn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread