Treasure Legends in Pennsylvania?

NicJohn

Feb 7, 2013
Howdy yall. Finally got my Tnet log in worked out again so I'm happy to be back!
Anywho, anyone know of any juicy treasure legends in Pennsylvania? Preferably eastern PA?
Another thing, I live in Schuylkill county where there are a lot of old 19th century coal mines, so are there ever any precious rocks found around coal veins that the old school miners may have overlooked? Any input or opinions would be awesome! links to other threads with information would be much appreciated as well! Lookin forward to the stories/info :)

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hola amigo - I am originally from NE PA, and that whole state is loaded with treasure legends. And yes indeed there are valuable minerals to be found, even in a coal mining region. There are several threads on the PA forum covering some of them, including several lost gold mines and SILVER mines too. I posted a piece on my blog covering some of them, if you are interested:

Legends of Lost Silver Mines in Pennsylvania? | Oroblanco's New Cabin

Over 50 DIAMONDS have been found in PA over the years, believed to have been brought there by glaciers, but no one really knows for sure, and it is a fact that diamonds are usually found in kimberlite, which has been found in PA.
Two Jurassic kimberlite dikes exist in Pennsylvania. One, the Gates-Adah Dike, outcrops on the Monongahela River on the border of Fayette and Greene Counties. The other, the Dixonville-Tanoma Dike in central Indiana County, does not outcrop at the surface and was discovered by miners
from Wiki's article on Kimberlite, Kimberlite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also battles, forts etc from the French and Indian wars on to the Rev war, even a legend of a bunch of lost cannons that a tribe of Indians had and used to protect their forts (the Susquehannocks); not one of these bronze cannons, which date to the 17th century, have ever been found. <I did an article on them a while back, it is available from Lost Treasure for a fee: Susquehannocks' Cannons | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine >

Evidence of even more ancient visitors to PA have been found too, like Spanish Hill up near the NY state line (near Tioga if memory serves) or the ancient headstones found near Harrisburg, or the Norse sword found in the SE part of the state thought to be a thousand years old. The mysterious Mound Builder culture also had a number of towns and cities in PA too, leaving behind strange earthworks and copper tools and weapons.

Good luck and good hunting amigo, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I also heard that GOLD was somehow liquidfied and painted on the walls of some of those OLD Mansions in the Philly area, and wall-papered over... dunno.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I also heard that GOLD was somehow liquidfied and painted on the walls of some of those OLD Mansions in the Philly area, and wall-papered over... dunno.

Hello Rebel. It is not so strange as it seems. The technique is well known in Europe not so common in America. The gold is flatted out micro thin sheets. Paint is used as bonding agent. In some rooms of ultra wealthy some decorated wooden wall paneling was first painted then a gold leaf is stuck on like wall paper and excess dabbed off.

Crow

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hello Rebel. It is not so strange as it seems. The technique is well known in Europe not so common in America. The gold is flatted out micro thin sheets. Paint is used as bonding agent. In some rooms of ultra wealthy some decorated wooden wall paneling was first painted then a gold leaf is stuck on like wall paper and excess dabbed off.

Crow

THANKS, Crow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread