Aug 3, 2014
Ozark MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilson's Creek Stash from the Civil War

i was reading the newspaper this morning and this is what i read:

"Aug. 8, 1921: A stash of gold and silver,"enough of it to make many men wealthy," was reported to have been buried under a residence on St. Street near the site of the Shrine Mosque. According to a civil war veteran, the lot on the northeast corner of Kimbrough Avenue and St. Louis holds the secret stash that was buried there during the civil war. The veteran remained unidentified but requested permission from the area building committee to allow for a dig at the site. The committee members stated they would most likely allow for the dig, but it is unknown whether it ever took place, if anything was ever found or if anything was buried there at all."

the history around this area during the civil war was the first major battle of the trans-Mississippi theater of the american civil war.
the battle of Wilson creek turned into the bloody hill after Nathaniel Lyon was killed. The confederates won the field but was not able to pursue the Yankees to Rolla MO. battle-of-wilsons-creek.jpg

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello OzarkHistory

Thanks for the interesting story. Its some times the little stories like these lead to amazing discoveries. First thing I suggest is check later newspapers to see if there is any follow up story? Also check local and other newspapers further a field as they could of picked up more information on the story?

Cheers Crow

OP
OP
OzarkHistory

OzarkHistory

Greenie
Aug 3, 2014
Ozark MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reading the story, and i will try to find a follow up story.. :thumbsup:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for reading the story, and i will try to find a follow up story.. :thumbsup:

Hello Ozarkhistory its my pleasure. Hopefully ya will find another story ya might be able to identify the Civil war veteran. Also check to see if there was any gathering of Civil war veterans ya might find a phonograph of them and names. If ya can get name of this Veteran ya might be able to trace descendants who might have information passed down through the family?

If ya do get a name let me know as I have many civil war personnel records that might be of interest?

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread