Hey Jeffro/Puna66killer, Man from Oakridge???

OP
OP
B

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Jeffro,

I don't lurk here often enough; saw the 'Oakridge' post just last night. Do you think that Bishop's gold was from the 'Two Frenchmen' that Bristow talked about? Doesn't seem he was gone from Oakridge long enough.

Bud

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Its not hard to put the two together. But I've been up to Bristow meadows and Campers Flat checking things out. The minerology doesn't seem to be there. I'm thinking a little further west.

There's a "lost" gully out there that'll require some serious hiking to check out. Could be related to Bird Johnson and Bohemia's mine? The tales are rather sketchy.

OP
OP
B

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Jeffro,

I hear you, on the 'sketchy'; no landmarks on the Bishop story and few on the Frenchmen. I'm thinking cabin; two big downed trees over a rock back wall. Trees are rotted away but rock upthrusts do not rot. Wind that would drop two big trees had to come from the West. Remember the big wind that layed all the trees down at Eagle Creek, up 58, a few years back. The tops all laying to the East.

I'm also thinking 'placer', which means on-site year-round(Summer-late Summer) water to work it. Bishop's trips were not long enough to have dug it out of hardrock. Besides, where I'm looking is directly between, N. to S., two exposures of the Blue Lead, that I have found. Both up high, near Albany on the North and near Roseburg on the South.

Bud

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hmmmm, interesting. I was thinking placer myself. And that big river does trend that way, at least as far as Cow creek that I know of. SSW, to NNE down there. I'm more familiar with the Rogue area.

Have you, by any chance, verified the story with Bristow's journal?

OP
OP
B

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Jeffro'

Not yet. It's work in progress. Trying to get info from the Hist. Soc. on 13th street is about as hard as trying to kiss your own butt. Fees are a bit stiff too. Right now I'm going through Ruby Hult's papers and any Bristow docs. at the OR Historical Society and OR. State Archives. I never put on my hiking shoes without documented, on the spot, at the time, narrative. Artistic 'Treasure' stories are not getting it done....Though I do think that Hult's bibliography and sources are about as good as it gets for 'second-hand' info.

Bud

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I agree with you there, the lady was a class "A" researcher. The Douglas county museum has a historical archives as well, which they'll copy off for you no prob. Ed Scheffeleins journal is there, so I've heard.

Got her card, if you want it-

OP
OP
B

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Jeffro,

Southern OR Hist. Soc. in Jacksonville has some good stuff on the 'Red Blanket' also but.....that would make five projects for me at the same time. I appreciate the offer of good info but I'm stretched a bit thin right now. Maybe after the year is over and I have cleared some out of my notebook, we can talk seriously about Shieffelin (spelling?). Two different , credible, sources of info in close proximity to the 'deed' ain't half bad. Thanks.

Bud

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Sheffeleins mine was located. I was thinking they might have something on the Frenchmen? Or maybe another one of your projects.

Whereabouts are you located? Maybe we could meet and bounce some ideas around over lunch sometime?

OP
OP
B

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Glad Schieffelin isn't one of my.....projects.

I'm in Eugene, as you are. Kind of an ornery old fart though. You probably won't like me.

Bud

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ah well, I'll take that chance if and whenever you're up to it. ;)

Thanks for the lead on the article, it's generating gangs of ideas. I went to the library today and got it.

OP
OP
B

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Hope you find something good. And...If you meet any Bailey's in tne Oakridge area (and I'm sure you will) be kind of careful . They are not.....very receptive to 'gold seekers' with questions about the old man. Ask me how I know.

Bud

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ummmmm, I can take a wild stab at it.....

The old man didn't want them to know about his gold for very good reasons? ;)

Like maybe they're a little on the greedy, wild side?

Gold does strange things to some people. I once knew a guy who'd snipe nuggets out of the sluice and swallow them. He'd get 'em back in the morning after coffee during his morning rituals, just so he wouldn't have to split with his partners. No #@!$%#@! ....

Needless to say, I never asked for his help again, LOL!

OP
OP
B

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Hey Jeffro,

Sorry but, even though I know the same kind of people, you have just cracked me up. My first reaction would be to get a claim stake and 'file' it in his........

Isn't it interesting? They show up, show interest, talk you into including them, really get-with-the-program and then either try to break it off in you or...in a week or so, you find their buddies, relatives and in-laws on your dig.

But I still think your story is funny as the devil. Puts a whole new meaning on the term 'CONCENTRATES'. LMAO.

Bud

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
That it does, heheheh!

Hey, thanks again for the lead on the article. Gives me some ideas to check out I hadn't thought of. If I can return the favor, lemme know.

OP
OP
B

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread