Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a treasure yarn for ya...

How about a whole steamboat load of whiskey that was on a steamboat called "Twilight City" that was shipping Whiskey up the Missouri river and hit a snag and sunk with its load of bourbon in 1853. The shipment was on the way to miners in the Rockies where they would of gotten great prices for their Bourbon. The crew at the time was unable to salvage the wreck and a flood changed the course of the river burying the steamship in mud and debris.

stlouisriverview1853_982x617.JPG

If by miracle any of bourbon has survived as they were in Oak casks they would of aged nicely today and be worth a mint.

Los Angeles Herald, Volume XXX, Number 229, 24 May 1903 — BURIED WHISKY Liquor That Is Worth « F.jpg

Imagine the marketing bonanza if it has survived?

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, now you are in training and not drinking alcohol, your thoughts are keeping focused on treasures of alcohol……..better spend more time with the beautiful and shapely personal trainer to keep your focus on the task at hand.

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like "Whisky Galore" all over again. Yet no one seems to have retrieved any in this one.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If the barrels have survived the test of time. Which perhaps in 1900 there was chance? But A hundred years after that?

Can Oak barrels remain water tight 160 odd years at the bottom of a river?

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the wood was buried in something where air (oxygen) would not penetrate, there may be a chance it was preserved.

And our Crow, in training mode, deprived of alcohol, has his feathered thoughts upon all things alcohol...

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
After 160 years that boat could be over a mile from the current river channel and under several feet of overburden. One would have to have some eye witness accounts of the sinking I'd think to even get in the general area of the sinking. Failing that you'd need to find reports of a farmer or hunter, etc. that has unearthed boat pieces since that time. Also, St. Joseph to Omaha is 130+ miles of river. So roughly a search area of 260 sq.mi.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Here is a story on the steamboat Arabia. I don't know if they found kegs of spirits but they did find barrels packed with dishes and straw. They found things "canned" in glassware with the contents still intact so who knows. Good luck.

TREASURES OF THE STEAMBOAT ARABIA

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a story on the steamboat Arabia. I don't know if they found kegs of spirits but they did find barrels packed with dishes and straw. They found things "canned" in glassware with the contents still intact so who knows. Good luck.

TREASURES OF THE STEAMBOAT ARABIA

Hello uglymailman thanks for the link.

CC There is a good lesson from this treasure story. Never rely on just a single source. Newspapers are good for hunting stories and leads. But they are only as accurate as the reporters or printer. Another even when family retell a story over time many details are added or lost.

Researching a little deeper into the story.

I found the Wood brige steamship listing all the known steamships that was built. There was no steamship by the name of twilight city? There was 2 vessels called Twilight one in 1857 and another in 1862. There was vessel called the Twin city that was built in 1852. Could this alleged steamboat shipwreck actually be Twin city?

Like with all treasure legends we need to find the facts to support or disprove the story.

Hello Doc-d I may be dry but I can really take it or leave it. right now it does not hurt the old liver to go on a holiday:laughing7:

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello James

My doctor said after I had a blood test that he had bad news to tell me ....That there blood in my alcohol.:laughing7:

Crow

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Crow, I read about the Twilight that sank in the 1860's earlier. It's been salvaged and there's a museum for it. In the article it claims theres a steamboat wreck for every 7 miles of river between St. Joseph and Ft. Benton. That's a whopping number of wrecks. Will do some digging on the Twin Cities, Twin City.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
CC I would be interested to hear if ya find some thing. Right now at present its one of those event either where identity of vessel was mixed up or the story was just a myth. Fascinating all the same.

Crow

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
This story is similar to that of the North Alabama sunk at the mouth of the Vermilion river in 1870.

NY Tribune 7-12-1906
The North Alabama rose to the surface yesterday and crowds of spectators line the banks. The boat carried flour and whisky for the Yellowstone district. The 50 barrels of 36 year old whisky have attracted lovers of good liquor and already a scramble to find the prize has begun. As yet it has not been reached owing to the quantities of mud accumulated over the lower decks.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
CC well done with the research. It is hard to determine if this 1906 newspaper story is a more accurate version of the 1903? Or two seperate story. Some stories by the time it gets in hands of reporters it has verbally changed in the retelling. Sadly that is why we need to verify independently the statements of such newspapers.

Well done and well done with the other discovery.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Doc-d

Not so fit as I should be. If I was a car I'd be in wrecking yard by now.

CC Some good investigative work. There has been a positive about this yarn and that is information available concluded the less likelihood of the 1903 newspaper story. There is good for this treasure yarn and that is to never to trust newspapers to their entirety.

Crow

Last edited:

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Crow, Truer words have not been spoken. It brings to mind the old saying, " believe none of what you hear and half of what you see."

I've done a bit of digging the last couple of days and may have a good one for you.

The St. Mary a sidewheel mountain steamer loaded with supplies and trade goods bound for Ft. Union at the mouth of the Yellowstone. Sunk at Haney's landing at the mouth of the Big Tarkio below Nebraska City September 4, 1858. Joseph LaBarge, master.
Here's the screwy part. A biography of LaBarge lastly places him on the St. Mary in 1856. After which there is a lull in his piloting career until he appears on the river in a new boat in 1859. Simple omission or embarrassment? I don't know.
I've found no record of recovery or attempted salvage of this vessel.

Thoughts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread