Greenie
Apr 12, 2010
Renton, WA.
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sonja,

According to Terry's book, the cache belonged to Lars Hanson. It says he lived with his Indian wife on the banks of Judd Creek near Burton.

According to the book, there is still about $200,000.00 in gold on the Island somewhere.

I also live in the Northwest down here in the Puyallup area, there's more to the story but that's the jist of it.

It says that none of the gold has ever been recovered but this print is from some time ago.

Gary. ;D

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Just checked my cross-reference index, and found the following citations:

Treasure, 8/1978, p. 24
Treasure World, 1/1970, p. 51
Buried Treasure of the United States, p. 221
Directory of Buried, Sunken Treasures, p. 130
Treasure Map Atlas, p. 137
Lost Treasure, 8/1976, p. 52
Treasure Trails, Summer, 1975, p. 48
True Treasure, 8/1975, p. 23
Lost Treasure, 10/1981, p. 78
Treasure Search, 12/1980, p. 53

There are more, as I stopped adding to my cross-reference library about 1985.

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
I'm gonna check it out this summer. anybody know where his land was? All I found was outside of Burton near Judd Creek

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found loads of information

I have verified Lars John Hansen married to native wife Katherine M. Lived on the island. After records search with the king county archives he owned most of where burton stands. Both he and his wife are buried at Maury Island cemetery and Lars was in fact wealthy. Long story short I have narrowed down the search area and it's not on Judd creek. I will be searching with my teknetics 11'dd in a few weeks.

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have verified Lars John Hansen married to native wife Katherine M. Lived on the island. After records search with the king county archives he owned most of where burton stands. Both he and his wife are buried at Maury Island cemetery and Lars was in fact wealthy. Long story short I have narrowed down the search area and it's not on Judd creek. I will be searching with my teknetics 11'dd in a few weeks.
Screenshot_20190924-124005_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190924-143824_Chrome.jpg

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Trent

Some nice bit of research. But I detect a little bit of inexperience. Treasure researching is a bit like playing cards my friend. Some times you need hold back on some trump cards. Some things like confirming the history of the people involved is very good of you to share. But posting property land maps giving away a possible search location does not do you any favors especially your intending to search there yourself.

There is several properties on the site you posted. While now posted in a public forum it does not take much to work out the actual location you posted. You may of given an opportunity for others to approach land holders of the present site off the back of your hard work. No fun in trying to get a permission off landholders that are being pestered by many people wanting to detect on their land. I wish you luck with your project with success.

But if in failure you will have learned a valuable lesson. Some things you can make public some you cannot.

Good hunting Kanacki

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I appreciate the advice I know exactly what I am doing. It is my intention to share information so others who may have access to other properties can search in this area. Unlike treasure hunters I am more interested in recovering history. Whether it is myself or others, I am perfectly satisfied with others finding the treasure. If I have information that helps others I refuse to withhold it. There is a large search area...one which i am unable to cover by myself. I can only hope that if its found by someone who reads this thread they let the forum know that the history has been uncovered.
Hello Trent

Some nice bit of research. But I detect a little bit of inexperience. Treasure researching is a bit like playing cards my friend. Some times you need hold back on some trump cards. Some things like confirming the history of the people involved is very good of you to share. But posting property land maps giving away a possible search location does not do you any favors especially your intending to search there yourself.

There is several properties on the site you posted. While now posted in a public forum it does not take much to work out the actual location you posted. You may of given an opportunity for others to approach land holders of the present site off the back of your hard work. No fun in trying to get a permission off landholders that are being pestered by many people wanting to detect on their land. I wish you luck with your project with success.

But if in failure you will have learned a valuable lesson. Some things you can make public some you cannot.

Good hunting Kanacki

Last edited:

Justin.1

Aug 22, 2022
Hi, I am very inexperienced with this as just got a metal detector last year. Being a resident in king count I am very interested in discovering Lars Hanson's treasure. If anyone needs an extra pair of hands to find it just let me know.

nofishmofo

Apr 22, 2015
Tahuya, Washington
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garret ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As much as I appreciate the advice I know exactly what I am doing. It is my intention to share information so others who may have access to other properties can search in this area. Unlike treasure hunters I am more interested in recovering history. Whether it is myself or others, I am perfectly satisfied with others finding the treasure. If I have information that helps others I refuse to withhold it. There is a large search area...one which i am unable to cover by myself. I can only hope that if its found by someone who reads this thread they let the forum know that the history has been uncovered.
Have you been able to lock in any private property hunts? Thanks for all the info. I have done some detecting on vason before, there is lots of history. You have to talk to the right people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions