Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola Amigos

Gather round partners here is another treasure yarn for ya. Way down Down in old Mexico...

The follow yarn is dedicated to our fine amigos in Mexico.... Not just a yarn but one ya can participate with as input most welcome.

This story begins with a riddle and that is the following picture below. With a sharp eye and keen knowledge of Spanish ya just might uncover some thing of interest? The following picture of a letter part was only one small part of mysterious document alleged to have been written around 1900 taken from a older document pertaining to treasure hidden in cave from the proceeds of banditry.

Anyway I would be interested is see what interpretations people come up with.

2.jpg

Crow

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Crow,

I agree with the others that it is hard to read, would be nice to see the original, or maybe you can print the words we can't make out. Here is what I read with a blank space, It is not word for word other wise it would not make sense.

"Be who it be, the person who gets to have this _____ in his hands, will find out that upon breaking the box it contains jewelry formed of gold, and silver. There are also pieces o Madrone (wood) where it explains place where you will find ___(red high light)____ ___________ treasure of that tribe. There exists a big cave that holds a sum not known by humans."

Crow, if you can print from the red high lighted area to the end of that sentence, maybe I could translate it.

Homar

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Homar…….and of course our black birded friend who provided this puzzle for us………

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Amigos,

My first search was for the Madrone tree distribution map in Mexico. There are several types, but the two most noted places I found were a grove in Tepotzlan near Cuernavaca. The other grove is in Xalapa near Veracruz.

My first thought of the jewelery fabricated from gold, and silver, and the mention of riches beyond imagination, was Montezuma's treasure.:dontknow:

The large cave near Xalapa would be La Cueva De La Orquidea. There are many caves, but for now I am just looking at the main large caves. The large cave near Tepotzlan would be La Cueva Del Diablo. I favor La Cueva Del Diablo, one, for being the most likely place for Montezuma's treasure, and for being in an area where the metals can be found.

The riches claimed to be there just seem to big for proceeds of banditry. They either stumbled on Montezuma's treasure, or it could just be a tale.

La Cueva Del Diablo is said to be named so because those who go in, never come out.:dontknow: There is also a legend tied to this cave which says that the devil turns to an old man asking help to climb the Cerro De La Estrella where the cave is. On their way up the old man tells of riches in the cave. In a nutshell, whoever is lured in loses his soul to the devil.

I have to wait an see what else you have Don Cuervo. There could be other Madrone groves with large caves nearby in northern Mexico.

Homar

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Amigos

Some times we can't always get what we want. Honar ya done pretty good with translation. My eye are proberbly worse than yours I was hoping some one can make out the wording highlighted in pink. Anyone?

Crow

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Amigos

Some times we can't always get what we want. Honar ya done pretty good with translation. My eye are proberbly worse than yours I was hoping some one can make out the wording highlighted in pink. Anyone?

Crow

Howdy Crow,

The wording highlighted in pink seems to read "si por liithls" could it be a misspelling, and meant to be "si por Lilith's"? Meaning "if by Lilith's".

In the Cueva Del Diablo story, first the devil turns into an old man asking for help up the Cerro De La Estrella. He talks about riches in a cave. He then turns into a seductive woman luring the men into the cave.:dontknow:

Homar

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Homar

I am not sure. I do have other information but I wanted you guys to play with it for awhile to see what ya all come up with, with out influencing your opinions. Ya doing a good job.

Crow

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
School offered no Spanish. French instead. Pink seems to bleary eyes here to read, sibultahto or sibultahdo. First one near Latin to lift up or remove,(sublato). The second near Spanish to bury.(Sepultado). About the last two meanings I would want to try to work out of a word in a treasure tale!
If my letter reading accurate,and it is not ,I would suspect a combination of Latin and Spanish ,a pidgin. Would lean towards Spanish though.:icon_scratch: Those of you who can read the message may note if any misspellings occur but I suspect my simply not being able to read each letter, more the condition and penmanship, though I tried comparing each letter to others similar on page, as the culprit.
Interesting how the writer crosses a t. Maybe right handed but no corrections made on t's. One time across and another only from center to right. Too while some relaxed or easygoing people leave loops in the body of their letters,(the t's here), and uptight or strict disciplines the body has no loop, they are mixed on this page. Yet only slightly . "Tribes an open t. Does it mean the writer is very comfortable with tribe?
Most letters on this page are strict and many of the ink blots may be part of a writing discipline and being overly corrective?.That could be a Latin schooling background.

Guess I,m guessing it seems to be written by some one excited or rushed trying to have good form but not correcting it till just before blotting time and a rapid edit too. So a misspelling would be left or else another draft would be written ,a word struck through to the strict writer would be poor work to pass on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Releventchair some interesting points.

I will tell and show more soon thank ya for patience.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay ya all suffered enough.

The writer was looking for a particular tribe as mentioned on the document. The treasure could if it is still there could be perhaps worth 252 million in today's value. This was the only part of the document I was able to copy. the owner of the document was convinced he had to look for a particular tribe. The letter was given to him by an old friend he had lost contact with in Northern Mexico. The letter is a deterreo directions to betaken from a coral to find a cave where this vast treasure accumulated over time by bandits was hidden. It should be noted the old friends family tried to find during the turn of the last century.

Strange enough several versions have turned up over the years all basically from this coral. Which on face value may seen strange but the alleged bandits was about 80 in numbers most was killed when the federals caught up with them. maybe one or two or three survived and from various people we have several versions.

Crow

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allo my friends, sorry to come late, but this last week has me semi convinced that I "may" not reach my 150 th birthday respirotory problems wheeze wheeze. My eyes still haven't recovered fully from the macular hemorrhage enough for both eyes to work together but I'll give it a crack this evening;

It already sounds vaguely familiar,they crossed an arroyo after the corral on their way to the deposit ----As for the mdrones, I have found them widely scattered a out a certain altitude.

So 'be what it may be' very ambiguous term

Hmm arroyo, something about bodies being used there ??

Hmm, gangs of over 80 men? there were several.for instance during the 1800's a -----

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don amigo de Tayopa. Take it easy my friend. ya probly out live us all. After all who else can inspire us with your longevity? Yes one such story and you may just know of it yet?

its late.. I will post more later....

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would expect out beloved Señor Don Jose to live at least 150 years……..
We will be needing him at least that long to guide us and keep us reminded to drink coffee...

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Judging on Don Jose longevity he still be around after we are all pushing up daisies.

Crow

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, I am glad that the Explorers Club finally reached an agreement With the Johnny Walker group

######################

[h=1]The Explorers Club and Diageo Announce Global Sponsorship and Licensing Agreement[/h]
AlanMountain250.jpg
Dear Fellow Explorer:
I am pleased to announce an important sponsorship and licensing agreement between The Explorers Club and Diageo, owner of the Johnnie Walker brand. We welcome Johnnie Walker as a corporate sponsor of The Explorers Club, and salute Diageo for their support of our crucial world mission.
The agreement, which settles ongoing litigation between The Explorers Club and Diageo, is the culmination of an intensive effort by the leadership of the Club and its lawyers at Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP: Josh Schiller; John Dema, himself a Club member; and Ben Margulis.
Under the agreement, Diageo will license The Explorers Club trademark for use in the Johnnie Walker Explorers’ Club Collection. The Explorers Club will be directly incorporated into the promotion of the product line, providing a unique global opportunity to raise awareness of the legacy and mission of the Club and its members.
This agreement ensures the continued protection of the history, tradition, and strength of The Explorers Club name and trademarks, and the sponsorship serves as an extraordinary new platform for The Explorers Club as the World Center for Exploration.
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. Under the settlement agreement, the specific terms of the license and sponsorship are confidential.
Yours in Exploration

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello don Jose thanks for interesting post....

Thanks for reminding me of that noble brew when I am dry.....:censored:

I suspect a conspiracy between you and Grantler.....his Octoberfest.....Ah beer... :laughing7:But no Old Crow is being good of late...Getting Fit. i am on a mission.:laughing7:

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread