Little known legend - Closed Army Base Camp Croft S.C. - And buried gold, Nazi loot

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I heard a similar story about a base i was stationed at named EDGEWOOD ARSENAL. after the war chemical weapons where to be properly disposed of . instead of spending the money properly breaking down the munitions the general helped himself to the money . he had training recruits crate up the munitions , when that cycle of recruits left he had the next cycle paint the crates gray . when that cycle left he had the recruits stencil utensils on the crates . going back to what AARC stated if you dont use it you lose it . everyone most have been ok with burying those unused utensils. 50 years later while i was working on the COBRA GUNSHIPS on the flight line i would see people in white suits and masks digging around the area . There are no digging signs everywhere . The hot spot was called O field . maybe there is treasure at camp croft .

T hunter 24

Greenie
May 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First place to search at Camp Croft is Henningston Rd. google maps will locate it. When you reach dirt rd. look to the left and right of the rd. s Dairy Ridge Rd. Go down stream from the bridge until the creek bends go to the left on land many bunkers and weapon storage area. At the bridge on Dairy Ridge look to the right upstream. Very large bunker there.
T Hunter

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm working on planning a trip home and a day trekking thru camp Croft is on the itinerary. Not taking my AT pro though since that might be frowned upon. 😕

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
That is my former hometown. Rumors about all that have existed for years, & I am skeptical of the truth of most. I swam in their pool as a kid & remember when it was closed. One by one they bull-dozed most of the buildings down, but a few still exist. A large older sub-division is on much of the old property, & that is where some old ordnance has turned up, too. You can drive around & see old concrete pads in the area where the homes are. Of course, detecting on Camp Croft State Park is not allowed, but there is access to many other areas. I have done some detecting there , but mostly trash was found. Rusty steel bottle caps are common.

T hunter 24

Greenie
May 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there as a kid we lived at the camp. I saw the roads blocked with military equip. Years later I asked my g. father who was a sgt. at croft why the roads were blocked with all that equip. he said the government contracts had not run out and the factory was still making all that equip. They sent it to croft because they didn't need it anymore the war was over. So the troops buried and stored it in the tunnels and yes even kitchen grease pits. As he said anywhere there was a hole we filled it with guns and ammo. and everything else. And yes he told me about the tunnels and said they are full.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Among those who trained at Camp Croft were Henry Kissinger, New York Mayor Ed Koch, Sen. Alan Cranston, actor Zero Mostel, broadcaster Mel Allen and bandleader Mercer Ellington, Duke's son

Henry Kissinger and others were members of the Bohemian Club in California. That is today's Oak and Knight's Templar.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
not to be rude but if the military or our government put it there you would think they would remove it when they left. i sure would. kevin in pa.

Kstallz

Oct 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked the left side of the bank yesterday. Didnt see and remenments of an old bridge. Maybe decade and under water. I doubled back and walked the mid ridge line and top ridge line as well. Possible location, ill keep checking.Thanks for your help.

dburt

Dec 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad was in the Navy at the end of WWII and was stationed in San Francisco. At night his cargo type ship was loaded with all manner of military surplus, new and used. Small arms, ammo, vehicles, planes, jeeps, trucks- you name it they hauled it! Then during the day they sailed out a ways (he thought about 20 or so miles from the Golden Gate Bridge) and spent the day throwing it over board in some pretty deep water. They were threatened with court martial if they stole even a single round of ammo, it made him sick to see all the good surplus just thrown into the deep. He did pick up one loose round of .45 ACP ammo as a keepsake and brought it home when he was discharged. Most military surplus ended up in the deep blue sea, eventually some of it was sold to the public.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread