whetstone mountains lost gold ledge

Oct 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, we are in Benson and have visited the whetstone range a time or two. Curious if anyone has any additional info on this one. My story reads that around 1883 , a prospector traveling from Nogales to silver city, new Mexico, through the whetstone mountains found a rich ledge of free gold in quartz. His find was made at the summit of the whetstone mountains, in the direction of Benson, as he headed towards the San Pedro for water. He finally made his way to pinos altos new Mexico where he died.before he pressed, he related his find to a friend and gave him several samples. The friend searched for the ledge but was never successful. It is unknown whether later search parties were successful.

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, we are in Benson and have visited the whetstone range a time or two. Curious if anyone has any additional info on this one. My story reads that around 1883 , a prospector traveling from Nogales to silver city, new Mexico, through the whetstone mountains found a rich ledge of free gold in quartz. His find was made at the summit of the whetstone mountains, in the direction of Benson, as he headed towards the San Pedro for water. He finally made his way to pinos altos new Mexico where he died.before he pressed, he related his find to a friend and gave him several samples. The friend searched for the ledge but was never successful. It is unknown whether later search parties were successful.

Hello cochisecowboy1965 can't say I heard that story before. Did this prospector have a name?

There is a story about French Joe Canyon that is in the Whetstone mountain range?

A French prospector named Joe, which legends name, Joe was looking for gold in the Whetstone mountains and discovered nuggets in which he claimed to have found in the Canyon that is now named after him. He was later killed by Mexican outlaws during shootout before he could fully exploit his discovery.

Today the site is peppered with small mine excavation sites.

How much truth to the legend is anyone's guess.

Crow

OP
OP
cochisecowboy1965
Oct 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original prospector I don't have a name for. The friend he told his story to however was a man named Buell.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Tag post please continue; sorry I don't have any helpful info to offer. Have done a little hiking in the Whetstone range but found it geologically un-promising, at least that area I was in. I will look through the old files and clippings to see if I have anything to help; I remember reading something a while back.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The original prospector I don't have a name for. The friend he told his story to however was a man named Buell.

Hello Cochisecowboy1965 his full name was James Buell and he was Lawyer who lived in Tucson Prima Arizona.

Ya might like the following article below....

TUCSON DAILY CITEZEN 1952.jpg

James Buell was originally from New York he made his home in Arizona some time after the civil war. He was a captain in the civil war in the confederate army.

29307408_133276653806.jpg

29307408_133276662972.jpg

James Buell is buried in Prima cemetery

29307408_134075290303.jpg

He must of heard this treasure story just in 1883 the year before he died himself in 1884?

Crow

OP
OP
cochisecowboy1965
Oct 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow
Thank you for the wonderful information. We live in Benson and are located directly behind the old Arnold hotel. We were given permission to detect it a short time ago and have been also doing some research on it.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello cochisecowboy1965

Its my pleasure. finding stuff is one thing knowing how it all fits together to tell a story is another thing. The Hotel will no doubt have amazing artifact to find. Amazing how much falls through cracks in the floor have fun.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And exactly what does our find black feathered friend know of loose cracks in the floor?
Perhaps memories from a little too much coffee supplement? Or is it something else……..
Perhaps our resident Señorita Judy H can shed some light on this also……...

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And exactly what does our find black feathered friend know of loose cracks in the floor?
Perhaps memories from a little too much coffee supplement? Or is it something else……..
Perhaps our resident Señorita Judy H can shed some light on this also……...

Ah doc from long years of er.... research experience from many a wild woolie night in various old country mining taverns. Amazing what ya can see with beer eyes lying face down on the floor :laughing7:

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Senorita JudyH…any insight into South America in your research?

I share some distant memories of my all too foolish younger days also, but fortunately I avoided those tavern floors……….well at least memories exist……
There is something special about tropical living that makes one feel younger but with the added grace of age that keeps me from my often stupid and crazy activities of my youth that in the days we now live would with little doubt result in my experiencing an unwanted barred vacation……

Vaya con Dios mis amigos……and a very special blessing for the newest member, the hijo de Crow……...

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oily tongued?…..certainly not possible given the coffee therapy I endure daily Señor Don Jose………
As for vino courtesy of the black feathered one……..hmmm…….

As for our lovely Señorita JudyH………Peru is a lovely country I agree and it is my hope to spend more time there in the future……..
The Caribbean is lovely and a couple decades ago traveled about on scuba vacations to many places and I retain fond memories of them…..had I thought differently at the time, perhaps I would have engaged in chasing lost treasure then……

Vaya con Dios

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread