Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Doc,
Allow me to add....as I'm sure we both know the issues you outlined cover only a small amount of the planning for just A CHANCE of a successful project. Equally important is "How is the pie going to be divided?" When I sit down with a representative of 'one piece of the pie', I ask him if he think his contribution (of whatever) will be greater to the success of the project than another aspect of the project thereby justifying a greater piece of the pie? I then draw a pie and ask:
How should 100% of the pie be divided between these contributors?
The financier, the researcher, the lawyer (who gets the permits and handles all legal matters/risks), the guy with the equipment (and his crew), the government, the conservator and appraiser (if needed) and the actual finder/discoverer of the target. If each of these aspects is required, how is (say) 60% to one entity justified? Then, if the venture is successful, how is the 'net' going to be divided (What is the pre-established process?). How will the pile of goodies be divided? Who has the first, second, etc. pick?
I'll stop there..........
Best of the New Year to you all; may our treasure hunting dreams become our reality in 2015.
Don.....
PS: Ecominer, thanks for bringing up the subject.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Don't worry, guys. I won't be taking econimer's offer for me to do 99% of the work for 40% of the reward. He really tried to hustle it like a used cars salesman but he's pretty transparent.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always heard the standard was 20 hours of research for every hour in the field, but that was before the internet which I have noticed can really speed up research.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, as you may know my record, I was calling the guy out to be either an arm chair treasure hunter or to get in the field to do the work. I have more work than I can handle with sufficient partners to work with when needed. if I were to make a deal with someone it would be privately and not on a forum with lawyerly type paper work.

Dr. Meh doesn't have to worry about only getting 40%, because if he is asking what to do he will get 100% of nothing. Yes, it was a pretty transparent offer, and no I'm not a car salesman. There are enough people on this forum that are high ranking members, with thousands of post, but the only thing they do is say, "great picture, atta'boy, nice job, etc., etc.) Very few of us can not only research a good story, follow the leads, and prove something happened, but we can also provide some good advice to those who take this profession seriously.

I really enjoy listening to Mike, Oroblanco, Crow, and others who have something to say, but those who put out meaningless jargon can help out by watching, listening, and putting some of our advice into practice before shouting out another "atta boy"!

Sorry to start sermonizing, but just some things I get tired of. When you want some serious advice ask, and you will find, as I always have, pass it on for free. If you need help on things in the SW there are a few of us who probably have a little experience in things you never thought of.

By the way, Happy New Year and may it be your best one yet!!!

OP
OP
D

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Crow, as you may know my record, I was calling the guy out to be either an arm chair treasure hunter or to get in the field to do the work. I have more work than I can handle with sufficient partners to work with when needed. if I were to make a deal with someone it would be privately and not on a forum with lawyerly type paper work.

Dr. Meh doesn't have to worry about only getting 40%, because if he is asking what to do he will get 100% of nothing. Yes, it was a pretty transparent offer, and no I'm not a car salesman. There are enough people on this forum that are high ranking members, with thousands of post, but the only thing they do is say, "great picture, atta'boy, nice job, etc., etc.) Very few of us can not only research a good story, follow the leads, and prove something happened, but we can also provide some good advice to those who take this profession seriously.

I really enjoy listening to Mike, Oroblanco, Crow, and others who have something to say, but those who put out meaningless jargon can help out by watching, listening, and putting some of our advice into practice before shouting out another "atta boy"!

Sorry to start sermonizing, but just some things I get tired of. When you want some serious advice ask, and you will find, as I always have, pass it on for free. If you need help on things in the SW there are a few of us who probably have a little experience in things you never thought of.

By the way, Happy New Year and may it be your best one yet!!!

What in the world are your talking about? You say you want more meaningful posts yet admit (or try to pretend) that your "offer" was intentionally transparent as a....joke I guess? Isn't that hypocritical of you?

And since you know nothing about me or my accomplishments in the treasure hunting field, I don't think you can accurately claim that I will get nothing because apparently my question went over your head. I HAVE done work in the field. I HAVE found things. My question was clearly more about a concern that I get too bogged down in research rather than just going out and doing it. That doesn't mean I haven't ever gone hunting or found anything.

Get over yourself.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm a planning man trying to transition to a doing man. I find that I research a treasure to death and never actually go out and search. I'd like to change that and actually follow leads and see what I discover rather than sitting at home online all the time.

Anybody ever make this transition? What seems to work best? Measure twice, cut once (or not at all), or just do it?

Research is the most important IMHO, spend time checking facts and getting the details down, the actual execution may not be the toughest challenge. Doesn't mean that you can't do some exploring.....Abe said it best:

“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” - Abe Lincoln

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I put in my 50 Cents, ( inflation ) It can be far more complicated than even what Sr Crow posted. As El Mac posted, what will the financial backer receive?? He is putting his money into something that cannot ever be sure of or guaranteed, until actual recovery ?

However I agree that El Sr Crow is unnecessarily complicated for the average 'legal' treasure of say say a few thousand, more or less.

Crow is a real treasure hunter and you should be grateful for his proven advice..

Of course Mack has won his spurs also.

Me ? sinff snifff oh well my mule loves me .

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tropical Tramp,
And you do serve great coffee.......with my favorite......
485043_10151266760736066_1392251212_n.png

Don.........

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting thread!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a planning man trying to transition to a doing man. I find that I research a treasure to death and never actually go out and search. I'd like to change that and actually follow leads and see what I discover rather than sitting at home online all the time.

Anybody ever make this transition? What seems to work best? Measure twice, cut once (or not at all), or just do it?

Dr. Meh, sounds like you may not be, as confident as
you would like to be, to go and do some searching
i double check myself all the time, it helps me to list
and file with a chart, i go over it and over it, until im
satisfied, i have all the info, for the 5 Ws of that project
maybe these charts will help motivate you to search
but sometimes you have to go, just to get a little more info
and as crow said:
Its a long long hard road to follow my friend with no guarantees.

short story:
been looking 20+ yrs on a project, thought i was done would
never find what im seeking, well since the web, ive found 2
new pieces of info, and with the help of a friend, that was going
near the archive of stored info, had to wait 7 months for his trip
then had to do a little more research on the area, as now its 33mile
from where i had looked 5xs b4, and only dug 2xs, the new area
did give me one more clue, ya gotta love county archivists
i will be making a 6th trip, to scout in the fall of 2015, might be my
last as im 60+, will i get to dig, i can only hope something, is there
that says dig,its been a long 2.5 yrs since i found the new info, and
still have to wait another 9 months

5Ws
http://www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/pdf/5Ws.pdf

i use this one too

Attachments

• 5 w list.jpg
    5 w list.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry will have to try and resize the img, thought it was smaller

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr Meh,

Since you use the word "TREASURE", I assume that you aren't scouting for good playgrounds to coinshoot. Crow has some very good advice. I also will tell you with 100% certainty that a good balance of research and boot leather (and a big dash of luck) are the main ingredients to finding a treasure.

The absolute best advice I can give you (or any other Treasure Hunter) is what was once told to me by an old Dutch Hunter named Jim Hatt:

"Don't care what anybody else thinks. Doesn't matter whether they believe or not. YOU research the story until YOU reach a point of believing or not believing. If YOU believe, then put on your boots and go look for it. If you don't believe, then move on to the next story. Don't waste your time arguing s*** that doesn't help you find the gold!"

There will be plenty of time to sit on your computer arguing minute details of treasure tails that can NEVER be proven one way or the other when you get too old and infirm to climb around in the mountains! Don't waste your healthy years sitting in libraries and arguing the color of someone's shoes on internet forums. Research what you need to.

Best of Luck - Mike

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dr. Meh, sounds like you may not be, as confident as
you would like to be, to go and do some searching
i double check myself all the time, it helps me to list
and file with a chart, i go over it and over it, until im
satisfied, i have all the info, for the 5 Ws of that project
maybe these charts will help motivate you to search
but sometimes you have to go, just to get a little more info
and as crow said:
Its a long long hard road to follow my friend with no guarantees.

short story:
been looking 20+ yrs on a project, thought i was done would
never find what im seeking, well since the web, ive found 2
new pieces of info, and with the help of a friend, that was going
near the archive of stored info, had to wait 7 months for his trip
then had to do a little more research on the area, as now its 33mile
from where i had looked 5xs b4, and only dug 2xs, the new area
did give me one more clue, ya gotta love county archivists
i will be making a 6th trip, to scout in the fall of 2015, might be my
last as im 60+, will i get to dig, i can only hope something, is there
that says dig,its been a long 2.5 yrs since i found the new info, and
still have to wait another 9 months

5Ws
http://www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/pdf/5Ws.pdf

i use this one too

I love it!!!!!!, the 5 W principle was developed for people like me who need their fingers to count with.:laughing7:

Until as of late after many years until I finally come unstuck... I used the 5 F principle dating the fair sex.:icon_scratch: Find them, Feed them, feel them, F...., Forget them. :laughing7: Like the dirty rotten scoundrel old Crow was....:cat:

As every researcher knows depart from 5 W principle you spend the rest of your life going nowhere making guesses. ???

Depart from the 5 F rule ya will end up discovering your not even allowed to have an opinion anymore:dontknow:

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Crow……it appears you deviated from the 5F dating and found a treasure with the newly hatched little Crow……
How is Crow, the younger?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research, sure, but there's limit of how much "office-time" you can personally stand!
When the hunt is hard on your resources, then less office time - find something!!
Aerial photos like Google Earth are great, and man-made features are easier to see
- like buildings, roads, orchards, ponds, vegetation changes, etc.
....just DO-IT!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diablo with google earth, go for aerial Photographs. Consider G Earth as a preliminary. the reason is called perpective. Earth has a flat look, while Aerial has a slight apparent depth, enhancing 3 d viewing with stereo viewer..

Have no doubt, earth is extremly valuable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread