Research or just do it?

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
I'm a planning man trying to transition to a doing man. I find that I research a treasure to death and never actually go out and search. I'd like to change that and actually follow leads and see what I discover rather than sitting at home online all the time.

Anybody ever make this transition? What seems to work best? Measure twice, cut once (or not at all), or just do it?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a planning man trying to transition to a doing man. I find that I research a treasure to death and never actually go out and search. I'd like to change that and actually follow leads and see what I discover rather than sitting at home online all the time.

Anybody ever make this transition? What seems to work best? Measure twice, cut once (or not at all), or just do it?

Its a long long hard road to follow my friend with no guarantees.

First my friend only you can know what you are and what your not? Treasure hunting is a very broad term as it apply to many types of treasure hunting. Coin shooting is different from relic hunting. Gold Mining is very different shipwreck salvaging. Each have their own unique set of for and against. hunting treasure legends is an even more difficult beast again. Cache hunting is different beast also.

Treasure researching and actually searching is like yin and yang. however A good treasure hunter is like a professional gambler who only commits himself on ground after all his bases are covered. Thus lowering his exposure to risk thus increasing the odds of success. There will always be an element of risk as treasure hunting will always be to certain degree not perfect science. However diligent research will lower the odds against you and increase you chances of Success.

Crow

StoneDogg1

Greenie
May 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all in the individual...

If you have the means and desire to TH, then by all means - go for it. On the other hand, maybe you enjoy the whole "research" aspect of it and only marginally care for the "reward" part.

Personally - I've gotten interested in so may things & thought "I need to do that". I quickly lost interest once I started. I finally figured out - I just like learning about new things & need to curb my impulse to dive in head first (and waste a lot of money).

Hope this helps...

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Dr Meh, our beloved resident black bird, AKA Señor Crow or Cuervo has posted before his list of requirements before committing to a search…….it would be good for you check out…….
And I would add that there is some balance to all this…..ie, risk and money expended, balanced against the treasure sought…..
Depending on location, just the visit may be treasure enough……sort of like my present home in Ecuador, Señor Crows roost in the coral sea……
For what price does one place upon peace, great weather, nice people, awesome fresh food, family, and above all, God…..this is truly a treasure also…..
And I think our black bird has recently obtained a treasure far exceeding his previous conquests……he can tell you about that one…..
Vaya con Dios

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dr. Meh,
I suggest you not consider your dilemma as a 'black or white' decision. You can enjoy both researching and 'doing' at the same time. My goal in TH-ing is to learn by researching and 'doing'--and having fun while doing both. You will gain unique experiences by continuing on both paths; experiences that will not be encountered by pursuing only one path. You may also know that research is but one aspect of TH-ing that is employed to reduce risk. It's one 'slice of the pie'. My 'pie' (in larger projects) has six 'slices'.
Don.....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Need a balance if doing it yourself. Both aspects required. Should you be unable or not want to do the field work in time a researcher can be a valuable asset to a team, if the team is worth trusting to that researcher.
Following a lead you have researched enough that you feel it is time to hit the field, by all means go for it.
Theory can foil a person. Known fact too, but is better when trying to locate something to know that you know..

O

Old Silver

I do far more research than hunting, but obviously you have to do both. I don't think there's any wrong way to do it, as long as you are getting it done. When you get involved (obsessed) with a cache, you'll figure out what feels right for you. Go with your gut, and enjoy what you're doing.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, hear is how I view your situation. You say you have mastered the research end, so you have half the actual hunting part done. Now you just have to make a decision on which cache you believe exists. Next you have to assign a time frame, like I should be able to search the suspected area in 1 week. Next you set aside a week for the hunt and ready your equipment. It's that easy if you truly have the will to do it. It becomes easier the more you do it. I spent several years hunting small caches all over the USA. Some I found, and some I couldn't even find the location. I work from a motor home with an endurance of at least 2 weeks in virtual comfort while searching. To me that is an important motivation. Some guys don't mind sleeping out with the bugs and snakes, but that is not me. It's usually me and Blue out there. Frank five star.png
Blue 1212-1.jpg I'm Blue

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dr. Meh,
You wrote: "I find that I research a treasure to death and never actually go out and search." This might suggest that your research is restricted to just finding the location of "X" 'marks the spot'. As you probably know, 'research' will be relatively easy for such a target, like finding the location of a certain playground in the 1930s. But as the complexity of your target increases, so does the requirement for a greater degree of research; far beyond "Where is the target?"
So, perhaps you can describe the type of target you might be searching for; that '1930's playground-type target or, for example, a vessel sunk in the Caribbean by U-boat in 1943; carrying platinum from South America. As you can readily imagine, the 'research' requirement vastly differs between those two types of targets; and in many ways far beyond "Where is the target?"
Don.......

OP
OP
D

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I think my problem is that I insist on knowing beyond a reasonable doubt that the target is where I think it is. I don't know if it's because I'm afraid of looking foolish or if it's because I'm too cheap to invest the necessary resources on a hunt unless I know for a fact that it will be successful. Incidentally, I know for a fact where one such target is and I'm anxious to get to it but....it's on a small nature preserve with plenty of tourists. I'm thinking that I'm my own worst enemy in wanting the level of confidence for all the targets I research that I have for the nature preserve one.

O

Old Silver

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I think my problem is that I insist on knowing beyond a reasonable doubt that the target is where I think it is. I don't know if it's because I'm afraid of looking foolish or if it's because I'm too cheap to invest the necessary resources on a hunt unless I know for a fact that it will be successful. Incidentally, I know for a fact where one such target is and I'm anxious to get to it but....it's on a small nature preserve with plenty of tourists. I'm thinking that I'm my own worst enemy in wanting the level of confidence for all the targets I research that I have for the nature preserve one.

I can't blame you for wanting to be sure, but I really doubt you'll ever find a lead that is 100% sure. Weigh all the evidence and see which way the scales tip. Do you have more reasons to believe in the treasure, or to disbelieve in it? Start with POSSIBILITY, and try to find PROBABILITY.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Look at it this way, you never KNOW it is there! Even if you are dead on with your research someone could have beaten you there. On my last big hunt, I spent a year on the research and found two big holes dug under a huge bolder for my effort. If you find one cache in ten, consider yourself lucky. Frank five star.png

O

Old Silver

Look at it this way, you never KNOW it is there! Even if you are dead on with your research someone could have beaten you there. On my last big hunt, I spent a year on the research and found two big holes dug under a huge bolder for my effort. If you find one cache in ten, consider yourself lucky. Frank View attachment 1089646

Frankn, were those holes in the shape of a container, or were they just dug holes? If they were just dug holes, then maybe the digger didn't find anything.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankn, were those holes in the shape of a container, or were they just dug holes? If they were just dug holes, then maybe the digger didn't find anything.

The cache was 6 suitcases of $50 gold coins {$50,000 face value}. The holes were dug in under a huge rock. The holes were dug many years ago. I think 2 Army Sargents with inside info got it. Frank five star.png

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You could always partner with someone who would do the looking then split the finds with you 50/50 since your doing the research.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To Do or Not to Do?

That is the question. Most of the Archeologist are Arm Chair types. They stay in their White Towers hand down epiphanies until someone goes out and proves them wrong. Generally no one calls them on their dissertation, because they don't go out and do the real leg work.

So what a quandary to be in? To be an armchair treasure hunter or to have the opportunity to smell the fresh air, get a little exercise, and say, "yes, I'm a treasure hunter".

If you are scared of being embarrassed for spending a little money, getting a little exercise, and having the gall to let your imagination run wild, let me give you an alternative.

You research the treasure stories in New Mexico. I'll do the footwork for you and if I find anything I will split the difference with you 60 - 40 after expenses. I get the 60% because that is the riskiest or possibly the most dangerous part. I get the choice of whether to go for it or not though depending upon your depth of research.

I think if you do the research you will find I have been more than fair and honest in my advice and work with the folks on TreasureNet for many years.

Otherwise you will always wonder, "was I smart enough or would I have had the fortitude to really have found a lost treasure"?

Let us all know your final decision.

Ecominer

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ecominer

I doubt you will get many serious offers with a proposition like that. There are many factors you should consider.

For starters your offering services of the footwork. Footwork is a very small part of treasure hunting. Research is key to any success which can take years. However finding some thing is one thing getting to legally keep it is another? Footwork can be done for a much better deal than your offering. As in some respects your just the hired hand. Yet you asking for the lions share of the take? Do this mean you will also accept 60% of liability for any criminal civil lawsuit , prosecution or financial liability of such project?

For 60% are you proposing 60% of funding to enter such venture?

And there is a question what about insurance if you get injured? If your insurer deem you were in act of an Deemed technical illegal activity they will be not obliged to pay. Who then accepts the liability in cost of medical or worse still cost helicopter medivac. As per 60% of deal are you prepared to carry 60% of the liability and risk?

Yet for 60% you asking to pick and choose what project you want to precipitate in yet you have given no indication of what you will do with any information sent you. And what about book, film and television rights etc... who keeps rights to proprietary information? Are you proposing 60% of the value of such information? As you are proposing a legal business deal in affect, do you intend to operate under a limited liability company there for giving some protection in the case " 60% liability held against you and personal assets?

60% more things to think about.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread